Welcome to PatsFans.com

Explain? Is 2 gap susceptible?

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by Gumby, Jan 15, 2007.

  1. Gumby

    Gumby Rookie

    Joined:
    Oct 4, 2004
    Messages:
    1,835
    Likes Received:
    9
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

    #11 Jersey

    Can any of you 2 gap experts help validate or correct my theory below or help me understand why LT killed us yesterday.

    If I understand the pieces of 2 gap I have read here; our DL / LBs are supposed to be engaging blocks and then shedding the blocks to make the tackles.

    THEORY: This style of play assumes that the refs will call a game that will penalize holding and prevent the OL from preventing D players from shedding the block to make the tackle. If the OL is allowed to hold onto defenders who are engaging/standing up blockers; it will allow the back to slip past before the defender can react. If this occurs what recourse do you have? abandon the style or whine to the refs? (neither a good option)

    So in this game; why did LT kill us for so many yards??

    was the OL holding and not getting called?

    Is the SD OL really that big and strong that they just pushed us around

    or Is it that LT is really just that good and fast and he can hit that hole and get past the defender before they have time to react and disengage



    Thanks for analysis in advance.
  2. Box_O_Rocks

    Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2005
    Messages:
    20,550
    Likes Received:
    25
    Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

    Without going to tape:

    SD O-line was that big and powerful and LdT is that fast. The rook LT appeared to control Sey, I also think the D-line and OLBs were playing wider to try and force LdT to run more inside. There was plenty of holding, the RT did get called once for holding Warren, but that wasn't the only occasion.
  3. TheBostonStraggler

    TheBostonStraggler Rookie

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,971
    Likes Received:
    2
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

    I doubt I am an expert but I'll give this a shot. The "gap" refers to what the linebacker has to do. As the defensive line engages the offensive line, a 1 gap means the LB has in theory one gap to plug or rush up. A 2 gap means the LB in theory must figure out the more important gap to fill and fill it or rush up it. I believe a 2 gap is the product of a 3-4. As far as what is more susceptible? It is written that the 3-4 is better at stopping the run. Is that correct? I honestly don't know. A lot of it depends upon personnel at DL and LB. You need the right kind of hefty DL with the right mix of inside and outside LB's for the 3-4. It has worked well for the Patriots but not so much today. Personally, I don't think it was the 3-4 that was the problem today. I think it was 75% LT being able to bounce outside plugged holes, make tacklers miss and outrun pursuit. I think the other 25% was the SD OL was winning the physical battle (in run blocking anyway) a bit too often. I have much more confidence that we can keep Indy's running game in check versus SD's running game. But Indy's passing game is more potent so I don't think we can feel better about this. Put another way, I don't think indy's running game will beat us but the passing game is very capable to do so. I think with SD the reverse was much, much more true (at least to an extent).
  4. FirstAndGoal

    FirstAndGoal Rookie

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Messages:
    1,421
    Likes Received:
    11
    Ratings:
    +26 / 1 / -0

    Actually, it has to do with the down linemen. The linemen are responsible for controlling the gap on either side of them. That's why you need big people to play it (like us). They need to be able to control those gaps.
  5. TheBostonStraggler

    TheBostonStraggler Rookie

    Joined:
    May 21, 2006
    Messages:
    1,971
    Likes Received:
    2
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0

    I did start off my previous post by saying I wasn't an expert :D
    Thanks for the correction.......
  6. mgteich

    mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2004
    Messages:
    20,608
    Likes Received:
    108
    Ratings:
    +273 / 18 / -2

    LT was effective because he is best player in the NFL, running behind a fine OL. We missed contain on the one big play. Otherwise I am fine with the way we contained LT.
  7. shirtsleeve

    shirtsleeve Rookie

    Joined:
    Nov 20, 2005
    Messages:
    2,730
    Likes Received:
    0
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

    First and goal had the 2 gap right.

Share This Page

unset ($sidebar_block_show); ?>