PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expert help wanted: Patriots scheme and Seymour

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALP

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
SO,

while watching the pats game, i also watched bits and pieces of the Oakland/philly game

and it seemed every piece i cought involved seymour sacking, tackling, hitting, deflecting passes

why is he getting such amazing stats in oakland? their d line isnt as good as ours overall is it? arnt other offenses giving him the attention he recieved while here?

overall, i want someone who knows what they're talking about to tell me why he seems to be so much more effective this year in Oakland that MOST of he lastest years here in NE

does he finally have a fire in the belly again?, or does it have to do with the patriots schemes and that they ask for something different from their d linemen?

Re: expert help wanted RE patriots scheme and seymour

SO,

while watching the pats game, i also watched bits and pieces of the Oakland/philly game

and it seemed every piece i cought involved seymour sacking, tackling, hitting, deflecting passes

why is he getting such amazing stats in oakland? their d line isnt as good as ours overall is it? arnt other offenses giving him the attention he recieved while here?

overall, i want someone who knows what they're talking about to tell me why he seems to be so much more effective this year in Oakland that MOST of he lastest years here in NE

does he finally have a fire in the belly again?, or does it have to do with the patriots schemes and that they ask for something different from their d linemen?

Such amazing stats in Oakland? He had two sacks in game one, and two sacks in the last game. He had next to nothing in tackles, zero sacks, zero forced fumbles, and little impact in the other games. Game one was the Monday night game, and his first with the Raiders, and he showed up. This week, Philly lost two key offensive linemen to injuries, and Seymour had another good game.

Now, to answer you question, I do think he plays when he gets fired up to play. I expect as the season winds on, and he realizes he is playing more and more for his new contract, that he'll play well. That's what he does.

I doubt it's the scheme considering, he was one of the best DLman in the NFL (pre-new contract) in the same scheme, in which he was less than great (post contract).

Not expert help - but a few points

Seymour led (tied) the Pats in sacks last year playing (mostly) a two gap system that makes it more difficult to get sacks.

Seymour was and remains a talented player.

Seymour schooled a backup yesterday.

Seymour had a good game against San Diego in the first game of the season.

Seymour has not dominated in the other three games that the Raiders played this season.

Nobody gives away a first rounder pick for nothing, not even Al Davis. The Pats traded one year of a very good player for 5 years of a future first rounder.

(Off point, but to me the best part of that trade is the implied assumption that BB would not have made the deal unless he planned to be coaching here in the future, when that first rounder was on the field)

SO,

Oakland has a simple one gap system in which your DE shoots for one gap instead of the two-gapping 3-4 that was run last year while he was here in which he had to be responsible for two gaps, and getting double-teamed. In Oakland, all he has to do is get through the gap with which he is assigned.

Also it does help that he is playing for a FA contract next year to which the sky is the limit. I really do think we see him in Dallas if Oakland agrees not to franchise him.

Oakland has a simple one gap system in which your DE shoots for one gap instead of the two-gapping 3-4 that was run last year while he was here in which he had to be responsible for two gaps, and getting double-teamed. In Oakland, all he has to do is get through the gap with which he is assigned.

Also it does help that he is playing for a FA contract next year to which the sky is the limit. I really do think we see him in Dallas if Oakland agrees not to franchise him.

It is a laugh riot how some intimate that Seymour takes plays off, when he got 8 sacks for us kind of as a part time job from his real job in the 3-4 which is to tie up 2 and sometimes 3 blockers.

What a loafer.:rolleyes:

He might be struggling now, but he should wreak havoc in a 4 man line.

Trust me, I'm an expert on these things. It's his contract year.

Your base premise is wrong. Seymour isn't playing "better", he's playing for his next big contract, which means free lancing and getting his 'stats'.

Remember when Ty Law left the Pats then got 10 interceptions with Kansas City? Law was actually average and not lauded that year, because everyone knew he was gambling a lot to get picks (in order to try to get a new huge contract).

Seymour isn't playing disciplined right now, trying to stop the run and pass. He's pass rushing as much as he can, because he knows people like you are only looking at superficial numbers.

Your base premise is wrong. Seymour isn't playing "better", he's playing for his next big contract, which means free lancing and getting his 'stats'.

Remember when Ty Law left the Pats then got 10 interceptions with Kansas City? Law was actually average and not lauded that year, because everyone knew he was gambling a lot to get picks (in order to try to get a new huge contract).

Seymour isn't playing disciplined right now, trying to stop the run and pass. He's pass rushing as much as he can, because he knows people like you are only looking at superficial numbers.

:yeahthat:

Though even the numbers haven't looked that great. He's put up stats in 2 games, and been invisible the rest of the time. With his lack of responsibility and the freedom to do what he wants, he really should be putting up bigger numbers.

:yeahthat:

Though even the numbers haven't looked that great. He's put up stats in 2 games, and been invisible the rest of the time. With his lack of responsibility and the freedom to do what he wants, he really should be putting up bigger numbers.

ohh, allright

well i guess i dont need an expert after all, LOL

Seymour was dominant last year, so I'm not sure that I buy the premise that he's improved this year. That said, last year Seymour was given some 1-gap responsibilities on third down passing situations. On downs where Seymour's job is to get upfield and wreak havoc, he does it better than most, in addition to being excellent against the run.

People saying that he isn't putting up stats is pretty laughable too. Discount them because they 'only' came in 2 games if you want, but the raw number is far from disappointing: he's on pace for over 10 sacks, even though pass rush is his secondary skill. This was always the problem with Pats fans re: Seymour- their expectations were so far off of reality that it was impossible to meet them. 8.5 sacks as a 2-gap 3-4 DE wasn't good enough, so 4 sacks in 6 games as a 4-3 in his first year in a new defense won't be either.

Anyone suggesting that Seymour only shows up to play in his contract year must have slept through 2008, when he almost singlehandedly kept our defense from being outright bad.

Last edited:
Oakland strikes me as a team that has its Defense on the field for the majority of the game... at least more so than the Patriots.

Last edited:
SO,

with the pats seymour was asked to just eat up two guy's and let the LB get the tackel or the sack and he still lead the team in sack's

in oakland he can just go free to the QB if the pats let him play like that here he would have 10 or more sack's every year

hes just a great player

Last edited:
SO,

and it seemed every piece i cought involved Seymour sacking, tackling, hitting, deflecting passes

why is he getting such amazing stats in Oakland? their d line isn't as good as ours overall is it? rant other offenses giving him the attention he received while here?

Seymour never got the credit he deserved after he returned from injury. I blame some Jest-like "fans" here for souring him on staying in New England. Richard Seymour was a sensitive man who couldn't understand criticism of his play when it wasn't deserved. Why don't you Seymour critics leave and go join the Jesters where your idiotic critiques would be a natural state of affairs.

He was fully back last season, and should have gone to the Pro bowl last season. But you'd never know it from some "fans" critiques. After all how many read-and-react Defensive tackles get 8.5 sacks. Exactly none.

The Pats miss him too. Have you noticed what is the major Patriots defensive weakness on the Team? They are 16th in run defense. Something they never were in his time here, even when Richard was playing injured. Even when he could barely totter, we were never less than Top Ten in Rush Defense, the prime responsibility of the D-Line.

I know we have lots of good defensive linemen, but there IS a difference between a merely good D-lineman, and a Hall of Fame pacesetter, who makes everyone around him seem better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes