PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expectations vs. the Eagles

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYHAWKS34

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Just curious as to people expectations for the game Friday night. I’m guessing its going to be a lot of what we have seen, I could see BB resting starting players more after losing players during preseason games to injury.

Re: Expectations vs the Eagles

Domination........Statement game.......

JK...I don't think they will change much as far as what they try do gameplan wise but I would expect better execution because I imagine the players would take some personall pride and do better but also becuase I imagine they are working harder to fix mistakes than they would have if the games had gone smoother.

Typically, the 3rd preseason game the starters play into the 3rd quarter for both teams and the intensity level and execution are close to regular season level.

If Brady doesn't play, I expect more of the same on offense - nothing.

I do expect better play from the first string D than we saw last weekend.

Make or break statement game for this upcoming season.

At least that what ESPN is telling me.

Well as cut day come new I see some players try out their best which could mean a better performance as the past 2 games. I hope I am right, at least i'm being optimistic.

The eagles will come out extremely physical and fired up on both sides of the ball after their lackluster showing last week, and their memory of last season's defeat. They are going to treat the game very seriously. They also have 4 additional days of rest, and they will probably scheme a bit. Their coaching staff will want to make a statement to give a team in need of a confidence boost some extra confidence going into the regular season and get the ruthless philly press off their back.

The Pats will focus on improving their tackling and fundamental techniques. I anticipate the O-line being again overwhelmed by a few run and pass blitzes, disguising the fact that their individual matchups will be solid.

I will be watching for the ability of the ILBs to get off blocks, and apply sound tackling techniques.

It will be interested in who actually suits up at safety. It's about time Rodney et.al. knock off some rust.

I would like to see Chad Jackson make a play, something that argues in his favor for why he should keep a roster spot; he took baby steps last week with O'Connell.

I would like to see Cassel show a calm confident demeanor on the field, no matter how f'd up everything is around him.

Other than that, the outcome is irrelevant. Most importantly, I hope no one is injured in a game that has no bearing on the standings.

I expect them to play 60 mins of football.

I expect that those 60 mins will be divided into 4 quarters of 15 mins each.

I expect that they will play on a green surface designed to look like grass. The grass looking surface will have white lines.

I expect that at all times there will be 22 players on the field, 11 from each side.

I expect that other men wearing black and white stripes will also be on the field and from time to time blow their whistle and/or throw yellow rag on the ground.

I expect that the coach of New England Patriots will call plays and use the players that he feels will best prepare the team for the regular season. This may or may not result in a win.

"If Brady doesn't play, I expect more of the same on offense - nothing." Bingo; it is staggering how much of a drop off there is from Brady to whatever clip board carrier wins the back up job, frightening is more like it.

"I do expect better play from the first string D than we saw last weekend." Considering Tampa smoked the first string D with a vanilla game plan, we'd better hope this is the case or else.

I have no expectations of anything. It's an Exhibition Game !Just get out of it with no injuries !

I have no expectations of anything. It's an Exhibition Game !Just get out of it with no injuries !

agreed I prefer we use starters as minimal as possible

Setting the depth chart...minus the injured players obviously. Where a player lines up in this game will say a lot about the roster chances.

I'll be looking at Guyton, Redd, Alexander and Hobson. Doubtful all 4 make the team so the last one in the game is not looking good. If the rooks get 1st half snaps, I think it means buh-bye for the vets.

Also looking to see if Welbourne runs with the 1's. With Neal almost certainly on PUP to start the season, there is an opportunity at ROG.

The camp standouts (Spann and Ventrone) get their last real shot to stake their claim on roster spots. With Meriweather likely out and Harrison likely limited, Spann gets a great opportunity. Not sure what else Ventrone can do but he may get caught in a numbers game.

If a 3rd TE is going to make the team, expect Spach or Stupar to get meaningful snaps in the 1st half. Otherwise expect to see only 2 TE. If the Pats get into short yardage or goalline situations, that may provide other clues.

It is tough for the DL bubble guys (Fafita, Smith, Thomas) to get noticed behind the healthy starters/backups, but if one of them shows up relatively early in the game on Friday that could be a good sign for keeping a 7th DL.

Other than that, the outcome is irrelevant. Most importantly, I hope no one is injured in a game that has no bearing on the standings.

That's become my #1 priority at this point. After losing Tank for the season, Aiken for who knows how long, and Meriweather for the remainder of the pre-season, I just want to see the rest of the players make it through to the start of the season. The meaninglessness of preseason games has reached new heights for me as a Pats fan.

Geez, GGH, I can tell you know NOTHING about football. I've been watching ESPN all week, so let me set you straight:

I expect them to play 60 mins of football.

Wait a minute... how could BB possibly have his team play a full 60 minutes? He's probably going to make 50% of his players play through concussions.

I expect that those 60 mins will be divided into 4 quarters of 15 mins each.

The NFL has actually done away with quarters and halves to prevent BB from making adjustments (aka, illegally taping and processing those tapes) in the intermissions.

I expect that they will play on a green surface designed to look like grass. The grass looking surface will have white lines.

Half right. You won't be able to see the white lines, because the grass will be so overgrown. Why? Because the Patriots are too old and don't have enough young whippersnappers to mow the lawn for them.

I expect that at all times there will be 22 players on the field, 11 from each side.

The league is granting the Patriots a 12th man, because they're "buddy buddy" with Kraft and again because the D is so old it's not fair to make them chase around all those superior athletes.

I expect that other men wearing black and white stripes will also be on the field and from time to time blow their whistle and/or throw yellow rag on the ground.

New rule. No more refs. From now on, Eric Mangini will be blowing every whistle.

I expect that the coach of New England Patriots will call plays and use the players that he feels will best prepare the team for the regular season. This may or may not result in a win.

Sigh, it MAY result in a win? Haven't you been paying attention? Our defense's average age is 65. We're going to go 0-17 this year, with the extra game being because somehow BB cheated his way into the playoffs at 0-16. There they will promptly lose to the Colts and Chargers at the same time.

Unless you're telling me that ESPN is a complete farce :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

Here's my expectations:

- Mr. Brady needs to be in for at least the first quarter. If for any reason than to shake a bit of the offseason rust and get him warmed up for the regular season.

- I'd like to see more positive consistancy on the O-Line protecting the QB along with better defense in general. While I know that most of last week's game was played by the rookies/on the line players... I feel that there needs to be more effort on their part if they want to make it on the team.

If we can at least be tied with the Eagles by the end of the first quarter then to me that's an success right there. I'd love to get the win obviously but as long as improvements are shown then that's progress.

I expect Randy to blow by Asante en route to a 60 yard touchdown bomb.

I expect Randy to blow by Asante en route to a 60 yard touchdown bomb.

That would be great if that was the first play from scrimmage

and thrown by Matt.

Ya that would be a great scenario but you know nothing will be enough to shut up the critics till we start dominating the NFL again

people are always dying to find a chink in the amour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye