PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expectations for Michael Buchanan

Mac&Barmore FTW

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
I am extremely excited about this kid and think he would really thrive as a situational pass rusher. I know he lost some weight from his jaw being wired shut. What are your expectations / what role do you think Michael Buchanan will play this year?

I am extremely excited about this kid and think he would really thrive as a situational pass rusher. I know he lost some weight from his jaw being wired shut. What are your expectations / what role do you think Michael Buchanan will play this year?

I expect him to be on the practice squad

He's been my dark horse for best rookie of the 2013 Pats draft class for awhile now.

I honestly think that he will be our best edge setter if he gains some weight. His arms are super long.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter opposite jones come playoffs. I truly think his potential is that high. He and Logan Ryan were by far my favorite picks.

I honestly think that he will be our best edge setter if he gains some weight. His arms are super long.

I wouldn't be surprised if he is the starter opposite jones come playoffs. I truly think his potential is that high. He and Logan Ryan were by far my favorite picks.

Besides his obvious talents (tall, fast, long arms), he has a non stop motor. Players with non stop motors always catch my attention. Hopefully another late round steal like Dennard.

Besides his obvious talents (tall, fast, long arms), he has a non stop motor. Players with non stop motors always catch my attention. Hopefully another late round steal like Dennard.

A lot of late round picks have issues, but many people tend to be overly impressed by measureables. Dennard was a guy who could play but had off field issues. Buchanan has numbers that did not translate to the field. There are exceptions, but a healthy guy who doesn't have the numbers but produces on the field is a more likely contributor. I say Beauharnais makes the roster and Buchanan goes to PS.

I am excited about this 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE grouping. Jones, Francis (last year's
binkie) Bequette, Buchanan, Ninko.

He will be a future starter for Jacksonville.

He makes the team if he is strong on ST. That's the likely way he makes the team. Am I wrong? It's usually how things work for these late-round picks and undrafted folks.

I think this is the first time since OTAs and minicamp that I've even heard his name mentioned. I share the hope that he'll develop and that there were extenuating circumstances that led to his falling in the draft, but I suspect he'll develop in a couple of years. Could be a good one, but it'll take time IMO.

He makes the team if he is strong on ST. That's the likely way he makes the team. Am I wrong? It's usually how things work for these late-round picks and undrafted folks.

Eh, it's a bit different being that he's a DE. In modern NFL you need a rotation of 4-6 DEs. Jones, Ninkovich, Francis, Bequette, Cunningham, Buchanan.

He's a very intriguing prospect. He could very well leap frog Cunningham, Bequette and Francis.

I agree. However, Belichick usually ends up keeping one or two UDFA's or 7th rounders. Buchanan seems to be one of the best of the bunch.

I expect him to be on the practice squad

I am excited about this 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE grouping. Jones, Francis (last year's
binkie) Bequette, Buchanan, Ninko.

I am too... many analysts I've heard them say that they believe we have the most talent on defense since the 2007 season, and I think they are right..

Pass Rushers - OLB/DE Jamie Collins, OLB/DE Rob Ninkovich, DE/OLB Chandler Jones, OLB/DE Dont'a Hightower, DE/DT Justin Francis, DT/DE Tommy Kelly, DE/OLB/DT Jermaine Cunningham, DE/OLB Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB/DT Jake Bequette, DT/DE Armond Armstead could bring and turn a lot of heads this season.. All very versatile, all have the potential and talent to be a force and all are intelligent players.. Lets see how this pans out.

Yes, it is possible that we will have the best defense since 2007. It is also possible that we will get little out of Bequette, Francis and rookie Collins. Even Armstead in not exactly a lock to have major production. Personally, I think that we can count on Kelly. And I am higher on Cunningham than most, as a backup.

I am too... many analysts I've heard them say that they believe we have the most talent on defense since the 2007 season, and I think they are right..

Pass Rushers - OLB/DE Jamie Collins, OLB/DE Rob Ninkovich, DE/OLB Chandler Jones, OLB/DE Dont'a Hightower, DE/DT Justin Francis, DT/DE Tommy Kelly, DE/OLB/DT Jermaine Cunningham, DE/OLB Michael Buchanan, DE/OLB/DT Jake Bequette, DT/DE Armond Armstead could bring and turn a lot of heads this season.. All very versatile, all have the potential and talent to be a force and all are intelligent players.. Lets see how this pans out.

Lofty expectations for this guy. Am I missing something?

Lofty expectations for this guy. Am I missing something?

Lofty? Because some posters think he will make the team? No one even said he was going to start.

Buchanan has numbers that did not translate to the field. There are exceptions, but a healthy guy who doesn't have the numbers but produces on the field is a more likely contributor.

That many be true at many positions, but if you look historically, pass-rushing DE/OLB is a job where "measurables guys" rule -- whether or not they put up impressive stats in college. I'll take another Chandler Jones any day. :)

Patriots Add Another Pass Rusher With Michael Buchanan in Seventh Round | New England Patriots | NESN.com

there were character concerns from 2010...had a down year as a senior...the Pats project him to be an edge rushing LB'er. He DOES have NFL talent so I have doubts he'd last long on the Pats 8 man practice squad...too many teams looking for players with his measurables to fill out THEIR 53 man squads.

BB worked him out in person before the draft...perhaps he has a place for him on the 53 man roster.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Back