PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expectations for Jeff Demps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really have to wonder why a guy with his speed and quickness would not return punts in college. There might be a red flag there? Anyhow, if he makes the team, I expect he will return kicks and occasionally line up in the backfield.

I can only hope he returns punts, but the fact that he did not do it in college makes me think that he cannot do it.

I agree it is a red flag, but there were so many good athletes on that team, who knows why he didn't get more opportunities?

The skills involved in punt returning are diverse with straight line speed being just one of them. We won't know for a few months.

When gauging the potential of Jeff Demps, I'm surprised that after 4 pages no one mentioned the true elephant in the room, which is not Shane Vareen. In his one game audition, Demps showed a lot of potential as a change of pace runner, who could catch the ball, despite not being in football shape. The real question is, does Jeff Demps make Danny Woodhead redundant?

Between Ridley, Boldin, Vareen, Demps, and a FB/"big RB" type, the RB corps seems pretty full with young vibrant backs. Woody has been productive, dependable, and a solid contributor to the best offense in the league the last 3 years, but can his talent be replaced for less money than he might receive.as a FA.

To me, Jeff has a ready made role as a KO returner. I'm not worried about his lack of college punt returns. Edlelman didn't return punts in college either. However its as a RB who could see 10 touches a game, that intrigues me the most. He has rare speed and could present a real threat to defenses that we don't currently have. I imagine that a lot will depend on how well he pass blocks. Woodhead eventually turned out to be very good at it, but it took some time to get there, IIRC.

BTW- One of my pet peeves about college scouting reports. So many list a positive on one side and then use the negative just one paragraph later. Like in the one of the Demps' write ups, they list his "toughness" as a positive, and then list "questionable toughness" as negative. That kind of contradiction happens more often than you think

I get that, but he just hasn't been out there enough to be reliable and he isn't even signed for next year, right? I'd love for him to be The Guy if he gets signed and can stay healthy. But Welker and others have had to return far too many.

In 2011 Edelman is 13th in the league in average with one taken to the house.
In 2012 Edelman doesn't return enough to show up in the league stats.

He is seventh overall in yardage already and his average is about 3 yds a carry more than our all time leaders, which includes Welker. We need receivers and he seems like an affordable signing, why wouldn't we.

If any punt returner isn't likely to return, it would be Welker.

That is not logical.

One person turns out to have a knack for something, therefore every person who tries it will also. not

sure it is......it is logical based on the fact that the pats signed him.....

whether or not it translates remains to be seen......

When gauging the potential of Jeff Demps, I'm surprised that after 4 pages no one mentioned the true elephant in the room, which is not Shane Vareen. In his one game audition, Demps showed a lot of potential as a change of pace runner, who could catch the ball, despite not being in football shape. The real question is, does Jeff Demps make Danny Woodhead redundant?

Between Ridley, Boldin, Vareen, Demps, and a FB/"big RB" type, the RB corps seems pretty full with young vibrant backs. Woody has been productive, dependable, and a solid contributor to the best offense in the league the last 3 years, but can his talent be replaced for less money than he might receive.as a FA.

To me, Jeff has a ready made role as a KO returner. I'm not worried about his lack of college punt returns. Edlelman didn't return punts in college either. However its as a RB who could see 10 touches a game, that intrigues me the most. He has rare speed and could present a real threat to defenses that we don't currently have. I imagine that a lot will depend on how well he pass blocks. Woodhead eventually turned out to be very good at it, but it took some time to get there, IIRC.

BTW- One of my pet peeves about college scouting reports. So many list a positive on one side and then use the negative just one paragraph later. Like in the one of the Demps' write ups, they list his "toughness" as a positive, and then list "questionable toughness" as negative. That kind of contradiction happens more often than you think

However unfair it may be to minimize what Woody has done for us the last few years I think most people have already moved on assuming that we can save some money and that with Ridley and Vareen are talented and versatile enough to cover everything you need out of your backfield. Then you have Bolden as depth and even without Demps I think most poeple would spend Woody's money elsewhere add in Demps and you get 40 some odd posts with little reference to Woody. Its not a knock on Woody nor is it a over projection on Demps more a reflection on what we think/hope for Ridley and Vareen.

IMO oddly enough I think a lot of this comes down to Wes. Because Woody is used so heavily in the pass game I think if we have Wes I move on from Woody and his 40 reception with the assumption Vareen (and Demps too) can pick up enough of them. But if Wes walks do we want to see another 40 receptions walk out the door too?

All of the kick returns, possibly punt returns as well, and an average of two offensive touches a game.

Exactly. There is a difference between a Punt returner and a Kick returner. Julian Edelman is a superior punt returner, a guy who can make the first man miss, with his own juke, and then accelerate beyond the hole. Demps appears to be a very high speed guy, who can follow a seam or a hole created by someone else, and burst and then turn on the jets, when through it.

Two different talents for two different jobs.

Demps is a speedster. He is not shifty. His skill set is very poor for punt returning.

Wouldn't surprise me if Demps doesn't even make the final roster. He at best will be our KR and get a carry or two in garbage time every game. MAYBE some kind of trick play called for him once every three weeks.

That is best realistic outcome. People expecting him to be some dynamic playmaker are going to be sorely disappointed.

Exactly. There is a difference between a Punt returner and a Kick returner. Julian Edelman is a superior punt returner, a guy who can make the first man miss, with his own juke, and then accelerate beyond the hole. Demps appears to be a very high speed guy, who can follow a seam or a hole created by someone else, and burst and then turn on the jets, when through it.

Two different talents for two different jobs.

Well said. it was frustrating me enough that i was about to post on it. There's really no telling who will be a great punt returner. You need quickness, but mostly, you need to be relaxed enough to catch and shake off the first guy, often right on top of you.. Lots of fast guys can't do that and it's a horror show. Edelman is just a great punt returner.

KR, on the other had is for speedsters. Stay disciplined and follow the blocking, then accelerate if there's a seam.

Well Demps could be a backup PR to Edleman, who looks to be more 'shifty'. His raw speed could allow him to be a ++ KR. He show some explosiveness in limited reps in preseason, and put in motion he could really stretch the field & pressure the D running pass routes.

Can he rush the passer?

Positives:
Has world-class track speed that translates to the football field. Possesses game-breaking explosiveness — accelerates in a blink and shows an extra gear very few players have. Only needs a crack, gains the edge and outruns angles in the open field. Has enough shiftiness to sidestep the first tackler. Cuts at high speed and turns on the afterburners. Good potential as a receiver — is agile and pops out of breaks to create separation. Special-teams standout. Surprisingly tough and durable. Mature, motivated, competitive athlete praised for his makeup and football character.

Negatives: Short and small-framed with very small hands. Limited run strength — too easily turned on contact or tripped up. Marginal inside runner. Never carried 100 times in a season. Is a bit straight-linish and does not string moves together. Could stand to refine route-running ability. Underpowered blocker. Questionable mental and physical toughness. May take some time to grasp a playbook.
huh?
10char

He is seventh overall in yardage already and his average is about 3 yds a carry more than our all time leaders, which includes Welker. We need receivers and he seems like an affordable signing, why wouldn't we.

If any punt returner isn't likely to return, it would be Welker.

Even if Welker returns (which looks more likely this morning), I don't want him back there for durability and fatigue reasons. And if Edelman returns, he'll be great back there for as long as he's able. He just hasn't been able to stay on the field; hopefully that changes.

Well that's an asset that disappeared awfully quick. Took the 1st year money and ran (pun not intended).

I guess it depends on what he means by Spring and Summer. If it doesnt interfere with any of the mandatory camps, I don't see the problem.

I guess it depends on what he means by Spring and Summer. If it doesnt interfere with any of the mandatory camps, I don't see the problem.

I think the issue might be his weight. He reportedly lost 15 to compete in the Olympics. His training for races likely won't include training the team had in mind for him. That brings us back to the discussion from last year about football shape vs. T&F shape.

BB likes players who live, breath and die football....

Demps doesn't sound like that type of player.

What could have been we'll never know...

Sorry, but Demps is gone. Nobody is going to give him $$$ to play in the NFL.

Liability is the problem with someone that plays 2 sports for a living. Say, he runs track and twists his ankle and tears an ACL?

He's a dope if he thinks any NFL team will sign up for this...

BB likes players who live, breath and die football....

Demps doesn't sound like that type of player.

What could have been we'll never know...

I'm pretty sure BB likes players who produce on the field without causing off field issues. If Demps turns into a starting quality RB, he won't care if Demps likes Track more than he likes football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back