Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBruinz

Pats, B's, Sox
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
These are MY expectations for Cassel.

1) Play within yourself.
2) Limit your mistakes. I'd rather you take a sack then try and force the ball and throw an interception
3) If you make a mistake, forget about it and don't make it again.

This is Cassel's first start so anything more, I feel, would be putting unfair expectations on him.

No mistakes and take what the defense gives you.. The Jets will load 8 in the box and going to say ok Casell beat us..

Just be a game manager. Lean on the running game and let Moss and Welker do their thing. The defense will have your back.

Play action, WR and RB screens, short slants and designed QB draws to utilize Matt's mobility.

One good thing is that KFaulk is back this week and will really help in blitz pickup, he'll be Matt's best friend this Sunday.

Need to keep the Jets honest though and test them deep a couple of times with a couple of Moss bombs because Kerry Rhodes will be up in the box the entire game.

McDaniels can't get too conservative, because that's what the Fat Rat is expecting.

1) Play within yourself.
2) Limit your mistakes. I'd rather you take a sack then try and force the ball and throw an interception

This is Cassel's first start so anything more, I feel, would be putting unfair expectations on him.

I think they'll bring him along like they did Brady back in 2001 -- lots of high-percentage ball-control passing with the occasional bomb to Moss, and a solid running game. What we probably won't see from Cassel, at least early on, are intermediate routes over the middle and down the sideline that take time to develop and require a lot of reads while shifting in the pocket.

The defense should be better overall, and I think O'Neal is proving to be a great pickup. I still think 10 or 11 wins is realistic. They won't be dominant without Brady, but should still be fun to watch. This is where BB's TEAM emphasis pays dividends.

I think they'll bring him along like they did Brady back in 2001 -- lots of high-percentage ball-control passing with the occasional bomb to Moss, and a solid running game. What we probably won't see from Cassel, at least early on, are intermediate routes over the middle and down the sideline that take time to develop and require a lot of reads while shifting in the pocket.

The defense should be better overall, and I think O'Neal is proving to be a great pickup. I still think 10 or 11 wins is realistic. They won't be dominant without Brady, but should still be fun to watch. This is where BB's TEAM emphasis pays dividends.

Exactly.

They'll do it by being a lot more creative on offense, because now they have to. Tom Brady hasn't needed creativity to be successful since 2003 because he's been so dominant and has complete command of the offense but it wasn't always that way. They'll start with a more limited amount of plays and expand it week by week from there. I think the Pats learned a lot from losing @ Miami in Brady's 2nd start, they needed to make the offense as a whole more dangerous and not play it too safe. I think this offense will continue to be fun to watch. After that game in Brady's 1st few games as a starter for the 2001 season the Pats were very creative on offense calling many gadget plays, for ex @ Indy David Patten tied Walter Payton's record while scoring 3 TD's via passing, running and receiving. In another game Brady caught a pass from Faulk and in general the offense ran many more reverses and more play action as well as screens. If teams can't fear the Pats because they have the best player in the league @ QB, the Pats need to make them fear the offense as a whole with creative play calls. Sometimes in these type of situation coaches and players dig deeper to make it work, it's not 100% that it will happen in this case but I have a strong feeling that it will.

1) Play within yourself.

This is fair. However, I'd add into my expectations at least 1 to 2 big plays that make you think "Ok, maybe we aren't in such bad shape". Honestly, game managing is nice, but to win it all, we'll at least need to see one or two flashes from Cassel that show he can keep the Ds honest.

And frankly, he had two or three of those plays last week in his bomb to Moss, the Moss TD, and I thought he had a pretty good run on one play that adds a different dimension to the offense.

If Cassel keeps his wits about him, he'll be fine - our defense may not be dominant but it's good enough against most teams, including the Jets, that 17-24 points could be enough. No risky throws and he needs to get down, like against KC, when he's running so he doesn't fumble like he has in some prior years' preseason.

I guess I'm expecting about 15-27 for 220 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT.

Orton = 83.4 rating, 0 interceptions, 29-13 win at Indy
Delhomme = 82.1 rating, 0 interceptions, 26-24 win at SD

How about something like that?

Cassel never started a game in USC. So, obviously the team saw physical skills in him that can't be coached up.

Gut didn't have such skills and was probably viewed as an overachiever with no upside and was cut.

As long as Cassel avoids INTs and the secondary tightens things up (I have my doubts with Hobbs in there) the Pats can win next week.

WRONG. Remember Brady in the Super Bowl in 01? There was no "manage the game" in the last minute. Bledsoe says to TB "Go out and sling it", the rest is history. Cassel has to get the ball out ON TIME to our playmakers and let them make plays. Sure the playbook will be pared down, but I am sure they wont change their whole offense be any stretch. I will be comparing Cassel's development to that of Rodgers of GB. He has been in the system for 3+ years, and there has to be a reason BB kept him over Gut.
You started the thread looking for expectations of Cassel, and the truth is we should have NO EXPECTATIONS of the guy. Next week was going to be a difficult game regardless. The truth is it doesnt matter if we lose any particular game. Give him a shot at being the QB he wants to be, working with the first string, and I wont be surprised when good things happen. This is the greatest game out there because it really is a TEAM game, having the best player has only jaded some of us and I am hoping the fair-weather fans give up their seats and make some more room for TRUE FANS.

^Yeah, that's a good point, but Brady did suffer some growing pain throughout the course of the '01 season so I really don't expect Cassel to be winging it left and right and deep.

Regardless, some of the classic wobbling ducks I saw Favre throw yesterday brought a smile to my face. Let's remember that the Pats D, even with some issues in the secondary, isn't exactly the Fish secondary. And it's a completely different game should AD, Vrabel or Seymour knock out Favre from the game.

WRONG. Remember Brady in the Super Bowl in 01? There was no "manage the game" in the last minute. Bledsoe says to TB "Go out and sling it", the rest is history.

Except that was Brady's 17th start. This numero uno. Even Brady didn't have his first big moment until his 3rd start, the comeback from 10 down in the 4th to beat San Diego. I think you have to take it slow with Cassel early, especially on the road. Look, quite simply the pressure shifts a bit, the backs, the receivers, the defense, the special teams, all of them have a much smaller margin for error simply because the play of the qb will take a substantial decline.

If Cassel can get through the game without a turnover, and hit about 60% of his passes, I think we'll be ok.

Well in 01 Brady wasnt a completely known quantity as much as Cassel should be. He has gotten alot of work recently, and he has ALOT better team around him now than Brady had in 01. When they put in a game plan for Cassel's strengths it wont necessarily be dinking and dunking. That pass out of the end zone to Moss showed some balls. But again, REMOVE ALL EXPECTATIONS from him and you will likely be pleasantly surprised. I am still more concerned about the secondary than the QB position.

Cassell just needs to play within himself. Don't beat yourself, and let the Pats team carry you. He DOES have a really talented team around him. If Brady were healthy again this year I think he would have been for another 40-50 TD season. If Cassell can get 25-35 vs say 15-18 ints, that would be an excellent season for him.

Last edited:
WRONG. Remember Brady in the Super Bowl in 01? There was no "manage the game" in the last minute. Bledsoe says to TB "Go out and sling it", the rest is history. Cassel has to get the ball out ON TIME to our playmakers and let them make plays. Sure the playbook will be pared down, but I am sure they wont change their whole offense be any stretch. I will be comparing Cassel's development to that of Rodgers of GB. He has been in the system for 3+ years, and there has to be a reason BB kept him over Gut.

Why do you insist on being stupid? You bring up an idiotic comment by Bledsoe as "proof" that Brady didn't manage the last minute of the game? Go back and actually WATCH the game would you? Jesus, if you need a copy you can still order it from the Pats pro shop. The last series of that game was the PINNACLE of game management.

You started the thread looking for expectations of Cassel, and the truth is we should have NO EXPECTATIONS of the guy. Next week was going to be a difficult game regardless. The truth is it doesnt matter if we lose any particular game. Give him a shot at being the QB he wants to be, working with the first string, and I wont be surprised when good things happen. This is the greatest game out there because it really is a TEAM game, having the best player has only jaded some of us and I am hoping the fair-weather fans give up their seats and make some more room for TRUE FANS.

For you to be so obtuse to say we shouldn't have any expectations for Cassel is just plain stupidity on your part. There are expectations for job performance no matter what job you have. And I stated what MY expectations are for a New England Patriots back-up QB.

Last edited:
First and foremost...no interceptions.

Or maybe I should quote BB...QB needs to make good decisions and throw the ball accurately. That's it.

Last edited:
Just get the ball out of your hands and let the play makers make plays.

I see Cassell maybe running a little more than Brady would run.

Run the ball. Run it again and the run it some more. Hell, let's go to the wishbone!

Seriously, No. 1 on your list is the most important IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes