PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expect Brandon Lloyd to be more productive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double TE

4 LIFE
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
According to TB on D&C this AM he said he watched tape and saw that "Brandon was open frequently". He said he needs to do a better job of getting him the ball. With Edelman limping and Gronk out until the playoffs I bet he looks his way more. This is great because when everyone is back for the playoffs hopefully then offense truly kicks into high gear.

:)

Not to take the onus off Lloyd, but i wonder if Tom is comfortable with using him effectively. He's not going to get wide open like Moss, but he sure can turn a bad pass into a circus catch. He needs to find routes where he can safely throw that thing up where only Lloyd can get it and quit looking for wide open separation IMO.

Gronk will likely be back before the playoffs, but other than that I agree with what you said. Lloyd needs to be a factor in this offense.

Ahern's preformance was encouraging aside from the drops. I was more concerned with the ankle than his hands anyways, he'll catch those balls later on.

According to TB on D&C this AM he said he watched tape and saw that "Brandon was open frequently". He said he needs to do a better job of getting him the ball. With Edelman limping and Gronk out until the playoffs I bet he looks his way more. This is great because when everyone is back for the playoffs hopefully then offense truly kicks into high gear.

:)

SO either the best QB in the league is seeing an open receiver or he is protecting Lloyd (the same way he protected Ocho).

I am having reservations about Brandon Lloyd...even Edelman get more separation than him. This recent Edelman injury really scares me...Brandon Lloyd is not a Speed guy and now he rarely gets open. Against the Texans we need the RB's like Woodhead and Vereen to take the pressure off Welker and Hernandez...it seems like the further we go the more useless Brandon Lloyd is becoming. I really hope Ebner is picking up the Offense some. Like Rex Ryan with Mark Sanchez...i think i have seen enough of Brandon Lloyd...i hope he proves me wrong.

Not to take the onus off Lloyd, but i wonder if Tom is comfortable with using him effectively. He's not going to get wide open like Moss, but he sure can turn a bad pass into a circus catch. He needs to find routes where he can safely throw that thing up where only Lloyd can get it and quit looking for wide open separation IMO.

We have a Offense that have guys that can get open quickly...Lloyd is not one if them. Based on how many times Hernandez and Welker are targeted its obvious Brady is not waiting on Lloyd who just dont have enough quickness for this Offense...i think they should *bring Branch back*...i never thought i would say that :ugh: but its just how bad Lloyd has become.

SO either the best QB in the league is seeing an open receiver or he is protecting Lloyd (the same way he protected Ocho).

I do not recall him ever saying that about Ocho? I would agree that he may not know him as well as the others so he throws to Welker/Hernandez/Edelman more. With Edelman out, he really has little choice now it seems?

We have a Offense that have guys that can get open quickly...Lloyd is not one if them. Based on how many times Hernandez and Welker are targeted its obvious Brady is not waiting on Lloyd who just dont have enough quickness for this Offense...i think they should *bring Branch back*...i never thought i would say that :ugh: but its just how bad Lloyd has become.

LOL. You have to be kidding me. Branch over Lloyd? :bricks:

I never heard TB publicly saying how open Ocho was when he was trying to cover for him. Brady is very eloquent when discussing/defending team mates but I doubt he'd blatantly lie about an easily proven fact.

Gronk will be back but I'd like to see Lloyd be more of a factor as the more weapons the better in the playoffs.

Last edited:
I do not recall him ever saying that about Ocho? I would agree that he may not know him as well as the others so he throws to Welker/Hernandez/Edelman more. With Edelman out, he really has little choice now it seems?

Oh, he did that on multiple occasions. The problem is when a guy is open but he's not where he was supposed to be or a guy is open late but under pressure a decision had to be made that led the QB elsewhere. Brady was under pressure pretty consistently for most of that game yesterday. Sacked 4 times, probably knocked down immediately after releasing the ball half a dozen more times, and he bought just enough time on a couple of more occasions. He also was operating under the asssumption (game plan per Bedard) that we were not going to attempt to run the ball much in the first half and attempt to balance it out in the second half after wearing the Dolphins DL down a bit. So he had to target guys he trusted to move the chains. One problem was those guys weren't sufficiently focused or reliable early on although that seemed to improve as the game unfolded.

Brady had little choice by design in the first month of the season when the playcalling was forcing issues surrounding Lloyd and Edelman, and that didn't work out nearly as well as hoped. Hopefully Branch is healing and they can bring him back because while he may not be quick he is savvy and Brady trusts him and he'd be on fresh legs down the stretch.

I think a lot of people looked at Lloyd's production with lesser QB's and assumed with Brady he would at least equal if not exceed it. Trouble is while he produced numbers when targeted consistently those numbers didn't help those teams win... Similar to the situation with Gaffney in Washington, which is apparently why they didn't retain him.

I wasn't going to post this but I will. On a couple of plays when they showed the replays I thought I saw Lloyd open and Brady went the other way. While he is awesome he is not perfect and he admitted as much on the radio. I guarantee you we need Lloyd against Houston and SF. Those Ds as you know are intense.

Oh, he did that on multiple occasions. The problem is when a guy is open but he's not where he was supposed to be or a guy is open late but under pressure a decision had to be made that led the QB elsewhere. Brady was under pressure pretty consistently for most of that game yesterday. Sacked 4 times, probably knocked down immediately after releasing the ball half a dozen more times, and he bought just enough time on a couple of more occasions. He also was operating under the asssumption (game plan per Bedard) that we were not going to attempt to run the ball much in the first half and attempt to balance it out in the second half after wearing the Dolphins DL down a bit. So he had to target guys he trusted to move the chains. One problem was those guys weren't sufficiently focused or reliable early on although that seemed to improve as the game unfolded.

Brady had little choice by design in the first month of the season when the playcalling was forcing issues surrounding Lloyd and Edelman, and that didn't work out nearly as well as hoped. Hopefully Branch is healing and they can bring him back because while he may not be quick he is savvy and Brady trusts him and he'd be on fresh legs down the stretch.

I think a lot of people looked at Lloyd's production with lesser QB's and assumed with Brady he would at least equal if not exceed it. Trouble is while he produced numbers when targeted consistently those numbers didn't help those teams win... Similar to the situation with Gaffney in Washington, which is apparently why they didn't retain him.

I am not going to argue but you must admit the one catch he did make...was sweet. Throw the ball to him more and see what happens.

I am not going to argue but you must admit the one catch he did make...was sweet. Throw the ball to him more and see what happens.

That's not the way it works here, and probably why we continue to win. If I had a nickle for every time someone saw Ocho open last season and predicted a breakout or insisted Brady just had to target him more...

That's not the way it works here, and probably why we continue to win. If I had a nickle for every time someone saw Ocho open last season and predicted a breakout or insisted Brady just had to target him more...

I get it, I guess we can settle this debate by watching what happens on Monday Night?

:D

Going out on a limb here, I know, but...

The odds are indeed very good that he is targeted more than one time in his next game.

Excellent ponts..well said a few games back when we had Gronk, Edelman was taking snaps from Lloyd...i dont think that was a coincidence.

I am guilty as I assumed that an acrobatic receiver playing with a super accurate QB would equal success.

Well I was a huge fan of bringing Lloyd here, but it has given me pause listening to T Brown talk about him today on eei, he was ripping the guy implying he was afraid of going over the middle and bailed on the team during the Jets game, very damning stuff from a guy who know what the deal is with WR's.

Well I was a huge fan of bringing Lloyd here, but it has given me pause listening to T Brown talk about him today on eei, he was ripping the guy implying he was afraid of going over the middle and bailed on the team during the Jets game, very damning stuff from a guy who know what the deal is with WR's.

Yikes, I did not know that. Thank you for posting. How exactly did he bail in the Jets game? Did he just refuse to go over the middle?

Yikes, I did not know that. Thank you for posting. How exactly did he bail in the Jets game? Did he just refuse to go over the middle?

Sounds like he took himself out of the game and perhaps wasn't hurting that much, he contrasted that with guys like Welker, who he loves as a FB player.

It may be on the on demand section of Mutt & Merloni later, well worth a listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes