PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Expect alot of Sammy Morris in tonight's game - Maybe do or die for a RB spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOT64

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I expect tonights game to feature a lot of Sammy Morris as a featured back who may have his job in jeopardy since Jordan looked pretty decent in his debut last week.

If Morris produces it will be interesting to see who remains on the team between the two,but I will be surprised to the max if both Morris and Jordan are both on the roster after week 3 of the preseason

Next week I think Maroney and Faulk spend quite a bit of time on the field but Morris should be the star (or goat) of this game which could very well decide if Morris is back and healthy enough to be a solid player this season and give Jordan a run for what I think will only be 1 spot available on the roster at RB

Last edited:
Unless Morris completely sucks, I think everyone stays put OR Morris becomes trade fodder.

Sammy Morris: Ran fantastically for us (Better than Maroney) for 6 games against NFL starters last year and is signed through 2010.

Lamont Jordan: Ran OK against scrubs in the first preseason game and is signed for 1 year.

I don't see any way that Morris' job is in danger unless there's a lingering injury concern but that won't be proven out for a while now.

Last edited:
I think Morris could be the odd man out in the RB race if the Pats only decide to keep 4 RBs. Jordan is a better back and adds more dimensions in the offense because he is a much better receiver and can be a better goalline and short yardage back.

I appreciate what Morris did last year. He far exceeded my expectations. But I don't know if Jordan couldn't do better in the same situation. Jordan is better suited for the role Morris played last year and has been as productive prior to an injury with a far inferior Raiders' offense last year.

I don't get why people think Morris is untouchable. He is 31, coming off of a major injury, and by some reports having an unremarkable camp (he has been dropping a lot of passes of late). Cutting him would save the Pats $1.2 million in cap space. I think he is the most likely candidate to be cut if the Pats decide to go with with 4 backs because of his age, salary, and durability. There is still a decent chance they go with 5 RBs though.

Morris was phenomonal last year. His job is not in jeopardy.

Morris is our only real north/south banger, unless he is injured he will stay.

:disagreement:

Morris is our only real north/south banger, unless he is injured he will stay.

:disagreement:

You mean other than Lamont Jordan? Jordan is more of a north/south banger than Morris is. Jordan is more like Corey Dillon than Morris.

yea but LJ can catch too.

You can't (well, you can, but last year's #2 running back can't) be do or die in the second preseason game.

Why is it an either/or? BB has clearly said he will keep the "best football players".

Sammy Morris: Ran fantastically for us (Better than Maroney) for 6 games against NFL starters last year and is signed through 2010.

Lamont Jordan: Ran OK against scrubs in the first preseason game and is signed for 1 year.

I don't see any way that Morris' job is in danger unless there's a lingering injury concern but that won't be proven out for a while now.
Totally agree. I think some are forgetting how good Morris was for us prior to getting hurt.

Assuming Morris is healthy, that performance by Lamont, while solid, certainly wasn't anything special and it doesn't put Morris' job in jeopardy I don't think.

To be honest, I can see no reason to NOT keep 5 RB's if all are being productive. That many, with their different skill sets, gives you options, and BB is all about having options for various situations.

Besides that, having two bruising N/S bulls could create a pounding match that will wear down a D line in much quicker time, especially if they are spelling each other in between runs.

I see no reason why Morris' job is in jeopardy unless he shows up on the Police Blotter or sustains a serious injury. If he is healthy, he stays.

FWIW, the remaining "dead money" on Morris is $1.1M for three years (cf. Welker's $7.9M over four years), so it's not inconceivable. [I'm not arguing for/against, merely stating a fact.]

jordan whiffed on blocking assignments . when morris was in last year BB trusted him enought to let him as brady`s last blitz protection.

faullk,heath and morris last year took the brunt of the blocking RB rolls have you seen enough of jordan to trust him in this roll? i did not.

Totally agree. I think some are forgetting how good Morris was for us prior to getting hurt.

Assuming Morris is healthy, that performance by Lamont, while solid, certainly wasn't anything special and it doesn't put Morris' job in jeopardy I don't think.

Seconded. My memory of Morris last year was his ability to do the simple stuff very well: hit hole, drive pile backwards, make yards. If we face more light defensive lines like the Giants (and I think teams may try to copy what they did last year), then someone who takes a lot of stopping, and adds a little more fatigue, could be the difference between winning and losing tight games.

To be honest, I can see no reason to NOT keep 5 RB's if all are being productive. That many, with their different skill sets, gives you options, and BB is all about having options for various situations.

Besides that, having two bruising N/S bulls could create a pounding match that will wear down a D line in much quicker time, especially if they are spelling each other in between runs.

I see no reason why Morris' job is in jeopardy unless he shows up on the Police Blotter or sustains a serious injury. If he is healthy, he stays.
I think this is the offensive wrinkle that BB wll bring to the O this year...and with many options, it will pay dividends late in the game and in the season. I totally agree about all of this...pounding backs flip flopping after so many runs will wear a D out and kill the clock. Not at all what they could do later in teh season last year. PLus there is depth of any of them are injured. I think he stays as well.

Fact is...over the last seasons ALL the RBs have missed a significant # of games. For that reason, I think BB will lean towards keeping 5 RBs unless say Morris has a health concern unknown to us. The issue is how well the 2008 version of each RB can perform. The coaches decide this based upon training camp and yes, plus a reasonable extrapolation of past perfromance.

Arguing against keeping 5 RBs could be the opportunity to keep one extra promising rookie with ST contribution.

RB related conspiracy theory in the Brady's foot thread, just a little something to read for those headed out to church today.

Unless Jordan suddenly starts sucking, I'm all about keeping both of them.
I'm dead serious.

On blitz pick up:
From camp battles with LBs: Evans is best. Morris is next. Faulk after that.

On receiving:
Faulk is best. LJ is next. Morris is pretty good.

On north/south running:
By my eye, Morris was quick to the inside hole and broke tackles. LJ is probably shiftier as well as bringing a load. Both are solid alternatives to Maroney.

Bottom line: These are both good backs. Last year, Belichick jumped at the opportunity to snare Morris, picking him up immediately in free agency and signing him long term. This year, despite having a full roster of backs, in a market flush with street free agents, he jumped at LJ, though he only signed him short term.

I believe both will stay, along with Faulk, Maroney, and Evans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back