PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excited about Jabaal Sheard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to see Sheard play, fellas

Mayo being back healthy as others said will free up Collins and Hightower to do some amazing things. I expect some other addition via Draft or Trade to add some depth and the replacement for Ayers' and Casillas' roles

Easley will be healthy and will show how patience pays off as he is uber-talented and I hope becomes our "Geno Atkins". Alan Branch I'm happy they brought back as at times he dominated and with Siliga, Jones and a Day 1 or 2 pick we'll have TALENTED depth.

Chandler Jones may finally have his break out in earnest this year because he won't be the only legitimate threat with Sheard and the LBs being free to rush more with Mayo back. Ninko will be able to extend his career with us as well as be fresh in the 4th with the poor guy now being able to rest a bit....also lets not write off Bucannon and Moore....

Love this signing.

I heard on an Ohio sports talk station that they think sheard lost his first step quickness after year 1.

mayo is under contract?

I believe there is a question whether they will keep him at his current salary, or offer a restructure, which he will have to "sign off on." Vince was also under contract. Since we all post here and are aware of that situation, I use short hand, rather than couch every post in lawyers language. If that's necessary here, I will, but I will have to bill you at the rate of $150 an hour for this reply.:cool:

I heard on LA radio that Bruce Jenner lost a few pounds in gonads and assorted paraphernalia since last year...:cool:

I'm sure he was less than enamored playing for the Brownies coaches going in and going out.
I'm sure he never got comfortable with the playbook and maybe couldnt attack the way he would like because he had multiple responsibility on any given play.

I'm sure he was less than enamored playing for the Brownies coaches going in and going out.
I'm sure he never got comfortable with the playbook and maybe couldnt attack the way he would like because he had multiple responsibility on any given play.

It seems as simple as being shifted to OLB when he's really a DE or penetrating DT type.

I recall Andre Carter had the same issue.

Some players dominate when they rush first and adjust to the run or cover later, I guess.

Jamie Collins is going to be our best defensive player and a legitimate DPOY candidate in my opinion, the kid has 115 tackles, 4 sacks, and 2 interceptions in his second season. The overall play of Collins is unmatched by any other LB in the NFL.

Just an absolute terrible draft pick. :rolleyes:

I believe there is a question whether they will keep him at his current salary, or offer a restructure, which he will have to "sign off on." Vince was also under contract. Since we all post here and are aware of that situation, I use short hand, rather than couch every post in lawyers language. If that's necessary here, I will, but I will have to bill you at the rate of $150 an hour for this reply.:cool:

If I understand correctly, Vince was no longer under contract once the team declined to pick up his option year. Mayo is still under contract and would need to be released (cut) if he declines to renegotiate his salary. At this time he is still not medically cleared to play so cutting him would be costly because the team would be like blue for an injury settlement. So they have to wait until he is healthy to do the renegotiation. At that time they will offer the restructure and he can either accept or be waived. Or if he declines the team could decide to keep him at his present salary, if they so choose.

Killer Belichick defenses have always been about the linebackers, and a healthy Mayo would give us our most talented, deepest, and most versatile linebacking core in years.

Also, and I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet: Malcolm Butler, according to various players, was the interception king of practice last year. Think about that: this team had Darrelle Revis. I think the guy is a player, and will make the pain of our secondary losses very slight.

Did anybody read Brady Quinn's analysis of Tim Tebow? Who would've thought a total first round bust would have that kind of insight into the game? I mention because I think it's a fantastic example of how none of us know anything about anything, as hard as that is to swallow.

You know why Brandon Gibson is a good signing? Or Sheard? Or Chandler? Because Bill Belichick signed them, simple as that. It's sycophantic yes, and confesses our ignorance, but it's the only rational approach I'm afraid. Nobody here knows better than people getting paid to know, in an organization that has proven itself to be all about winning.

Jamie Collins is going to be our best defensive player and a legitimate DPOY candidate in my opinion, the kid has 115 tackles, 4 sacks, and 2 interceptions in his second season. The overall play of Collins is unmatched by any other LB in the NFL.
The thing that keeps me from conceding the Patriots defense is going to revert into a gelatinous blob next year without great corners is that the play of Collins and Hightower was arguably every bit as important. Was telling that the Packers thought the NE linebacking corps was the best they saw all year up to that game. All they need is a pass rush, and maybe then the front seven can make up for the back end being McCourty plus everyone else.

If I understand correctly, Vince was no longer under contract once the team declined to pick up his option year. Mayo is still under contract and would need to be released (cut) if he declines to renegotiate his salary. At this time he is still not medically cleared to play so cutting him would be costly because the team would be like blue for an injury settlement. So they have to wait until he is healthy to do the renegotiation. At that time they will offer the restructure and he can either accept or be waived. Or if he declines the team could decide to keep him at his present salary, if they so choose.

Let me get my legal team on that and get back to you.

So they could offer him a restructure and he would have the choice to either accept it or not.

Or if he declines the team could decide to keep him at his present salary, if they so choose.

lol

So, anyway, if they offer a restructure and he accepts it, I assume there would be a signing of some sort then, no?

Killer Belichick defenses have always been about the linebackers, and a healthy Mayo would give us our most talented, deepest, and most versatile linebacking core in years.

Also, and I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet: Malcolm Butler, according to various players, was the interception king of practice last year. Think about that: this team had Darrelle Revis. I think the guy is a player, and will make the pain of our secondary losses very slight.

Did anybody read Brady Quinn's analysis of Tim Tebow? Who would've thought a total first round bust would have that kind of insight into the game? I mention because I think it's a fantastic example of how none of us know anything about anything, as hard as that is to swallow.

You know why Brandon Gibson is a good signing? Or Sheard? Or Chandler? Because Bill Belichick signed them, simple as that. It's sycophantic yes, and confesses our ignorance, but it's the only rational approach I'm afraid. Nobody here knows better than people getting paid to know, in an organization that has proven itself to be all about winning.

They've signed some real dogs.

The thing that keeps me from conceding the Patriots defense is going to revert into a gelatinous blob next year without great corners is that the play of Collins and Hightower was arguably every bit as important. Was telling that the Packers thought the NE linebacking corps was the best they saw all year up to that game. All they need is a pass rush, and maybe then the front seven can make up for the back end being McCourty plus everyone else.
Honestly I'm confident that Alfonzo Dennard will bounce back this year, he spent the first part of last offseason in jail then delayed shoulder surgery so he missed most of camp. He was in the doghouse and not in great shape. This offseason he has no distractions. If Dennard is right he is a legit #2 CB on any team in the NFL, and in my opinion a better overall CB than Browner whose skill set only worked against select WRs and TEs.

So we have a need for a #1 CB, and all we need to do is make a good draft pick. Will the player be Revis? No ****ing way but the rest of the secondary depth wise could actually be stronger.

Said it before when Chandler and Gronk are tearing it up by week 3 they'll talk about our new TE being the best free agent signing along with none other than....... Sheard. Guy is a beast, that's all i have to say so don't believe me just watch ;)

I look at Sheard, Easley and Mayo as significant injections of talent into the front 7. That excites me.

Agree. Don't sleep on Alan Branch coming back. He arrived mid-season and did ok. I think we get more out of him with a whole off-season and training camp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes