PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excessive Celebrating?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, it turned out to be totally irrelevant - or do you think that the returner would have been tackled if he had to run 85 yards instead of 70?

I think the Patriots have an easier time stopping a shorter return, for sure.

It was excessive for the patriots. Anyone else could do a musical number and get away with it. The pats are the only team in the nfl that doesn't celebrate with anything other than a high five from a teammate when making a routine tackle, and this action bamboozled the refs.

ok i'm an IDIOT, :( i know that already. can someone tell me why Moss got flagged for excessive celebrating ( or whatever they hell they call called it ) because he jumped onto a patriots player standing nearby but on his last TD there were three or four players celebrating and they called zip.... what gives? what was so different between the two celebrations? :confused:

He did a wiggle, wiggle, spike. Clearly not excessive celebrating, but just like the two TD's that were taken away from him this year for phantom push offs, he's Randy Moss, and he'll still get some lame calls against him. Sad, but true.

It wasnt much,but it was funny watching the official do a little dance to make his point....

Maybe next time they can do "SHipoopy" like Peter on Family Guy when he scores a touchdown....

ok i'm an IDIOT, :( i know that already. can someone tell me why Moss got flagged for excessive celebrating ( or whatever they hell they call called it ) because he jumped onto a patriots player standing nearby but on his last TD there were three or four players celebrating and they called zip.... what gives? what was so different between the two celebrations? :confused:

Because the cracker ass ref didn't know what was going on.

Seriously though - can someone explain to me the correlation between dancing and it's equivalence towards rewarding the other team with 15 yards? The excessive celebration, taunting, etc. rules are so lame. They don't play these games in a vacuum, they play to entertain us, they are entertainers. To penalize them for dancing is beyond insane, and all those old farts who think TD celebrations is a disgrace can get off their high horse, too.

It was a BS call, but the officials thought it was a choreographed celebration, which is illegal if it involves more than one player. Looked pretty spontanious to me, though... honestly, can you picture the Patriots spending time choreographing a TD celebration? Belichick would skin them alive.

But how lame is that rule? What is this the F-ing town in footloose? Again, I don't see how the effects of a choreographed dance are worthy of penalizing a team 15 yards. You accrue penalties when an action has an effect on the game (ie, pass interference, holding, off sides) and or endangers injuring the other team (ie, roughing the passer, kicker, etc.). Dancing doesn't come close to either of those.

But how lame is that rule? What is this the F-ing town in footloose? Again, I don't see how the effects of a choreographed dance are worthy of penalizing a team 15 yards. You accrue penalties when an action has an effect on the game (ie, pass interference, holding, off sides) and or endangers injuring the other team (ie, roughing the passer, kicker, etc.). Dancing doesn't come close to either of those.
The justification for banning excessive dancing is that younger players (high school, pop warner) start imitating it and it takes away from the sportmanship of their games. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but that's what they always bring up when they talk about the celebration rules.

Last edited:
The justification for banning excessive dancing is that younger players (high school, pop warner) start imitating it and it takes away from the sportmanship of their games. I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but that's what they always bring up when they talk about the celebration rules.

IMO, people should spend more time worrying about the parents and their behavior at high school (or younger) sporting events then the players...and besides from that, and I know you weren't necessarily condoning the logic, but I will make the point nonetheless - I think anytime you inflict a rule that penalizes an entire team and has a tangible effect on the game (ie, yardage), there better be a much more tangible reason than the effect on kid's out there watching.

As far as I could tell, it went like this:

Moss did a little dance.
Maroney copied it for a few seconds.
The ref saw that and determined the routine must have been choreographed, because...

how else could two guys be doing the SAME DANCE?
smiley_sherlock.gif

Seriously.

yeah the ref demonstrated what the call was by doing the same move maroney was doing. It was called for group celebration because maroney did a dance as well.

Its one of those calls that you don't make without some bias.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back