Welcome to PatsFans.com

Excerpts from interview with John Dean comparing Bush to Nixon...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, May 24, 2006.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

Couple of excerpts from an interview with John Dean regarding his concerns about the White House and some very strong concerns about the role of Dick Cheney in this administration....

http://progressive.org/mag_wx052006

Dean: Both mean learned about the Presidency from men they greatly respected: Richard Nixon from Dwight Eisenhower, George Bush from his father. When both men became President, you got the very distinct impression that they don’t feel that they quite fit in the shoes of the person from whom they learned about the Presidency. Nixon would constantly be going down to Key Biscayne, San Clemente, or Camp David—he just didn’t like being in the Oval Office. I saw this same thing with George Bush, who is constantly away. The other striking similarity is that both men talk in the third person about the office of the President. It’s like the royal we. You look at other Presidents, like Reagan and Clinton, who clearly filled that office. You almost had to pry Clinton out at the end of his term. And Reagan, despite whatever weaknesses he had intellectually, filled the role of President and played it to the hilt. So Bush has a Nixonian distance from the White House.

And I was stunned at the secrecy of this Administration. I knew that there’s no good that can come out of secrecy. So I began looking closely at Bush and finding the striking Nixonian features of this Presidency: It’s almost as if we’d left an old playbook in the basement, they found it, dusted it off, and said, “This stuff looks pretty good, we ought to give it a try.†As I dug in, and still had some pretty good sources within that Presidency, I found the principal mover and shaker of this Presidency is clearly Dick Cheney, who is not only reviving the Imperial Presidency but expanding it beyond Nixon’s wildest dreams.

The reason I wrote a book with the title “Worse than Watergate,†and I was very cautious in using that title, is because there was a real difference: Nobody died as a result of the so-called abuses of power during Nixon’s Presidency. You might make the exception of, say, the secret bombing of Cambodia, but that never got into the Watergate litany per se. You look at Bush’s abuses, and Cheney’s—to me, it’s a Bush/ Cheney Presidency—and today, people are dying as a result of abuse of power. That’s much more serious.

I do. It was evident, even at the beginning, when Cheney was very confident they were going to win at the Supreme Court. I’ve got some friends who were in there and they were telling me what was happening, and they said Bush doesn’t have a clue what’s going on. Cheney’s setting things up the way he wants. He’s designing a National Security Council that’s more powerful than the statutory National Security Council under Condoleezza Rice. And it was, and it is. She was the perfect foil for him because he can roll over her anytime he wants, and he does. Putting her over at State is even better: Keep her out on the road. The Cheney-Rumsfeld connection has really been driving the foreign policy since day one.
  2. PatsFanInMaine

PatsFanInMaine Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Do you think that John Dean would make a great Attorney General?:)
  3. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +89 / 7 / -13

#37 Jersey

I guess convicted criminals are ok, as long as the agree with your ideology. :rolleyes:
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +242 / 8 / -26

There are so many out there right now, the Republicans will have a slew available in about 10 years, they can all whine how they are victims of the left wing....