PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excellent "feel good" article on Anthony Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far, he does kind of seem like that but not in a good way. 3rd round DE #92, never sees the field. Of course, he's already shown more than Bequette ever did. But I don't like those anecdotal parallels. They give me a bad feeling (albeit one rooted in no amount of logic).

Sorry about that -- I was only trying to be funny. Would it make you feel better that they have something of a logjam at DE, even without Chandler Jones?

Sorry about that -- I was only trying to be funny. Would it make you feel better that they have something of a logjam at DE, even without Chandler Jones?

Yes, I am glad it seems to be working out at the position. And I like Grissom, despite all that. He won't make this team but he might not last on waivers.

If Johnson can be the interior pass rusher we wanted from Easley, then this will be great. Especially if he and Malcolm Brown work well together and can hold up against the run..

As food for thought, the Patriots worked Grissom out at TE, and he did as well as, if not better than, any actual TE.

I was thinking more of a linebacker role...

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Grissom gets cut! he hasn't really set the world on fire and guys like him can be found for our PS. The Patriots haven't done well with D-Linemen named Marquise.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Grissom gets cut! he hasn't really set the world on fire and guys like him can be found for our PS. The Patriots haven't done well with D-Linemen named Marquise.

:confused:

His first name is Geneo.

His name is Geneo and he's not going to die.

Sorry thought his name was Marquise Grissom.:oops:

If I was knighton, I would be very worried about Johnson taking my roster spot.

Last year they had 4 fatties (Branch, Brown, Hicks and Seal) and Easley.

I'm assuming they will do the same thing here with Brown, Branch, Valentine, Knighton and Johnson as new Easley.

Its going to be very interesting to see what they do.

I was excited when I saw the Pats signed Johnson because I remember how much hype there was when he was recruited. He was a big time prospect and flashed a lot early, even on a loaded LSU DL. As a true freshman he looked like a man among boys at times. He was supposed to be the next Glenn Dorsey and even before his junior year people were still expecting him to put it all together and become a top 3 draft pick.

I love taking risks on guys like this because the potential is there, and that article shows he has the work ethic. Hopefully now he was found the right scheme and situation to put it all together and become a stud.

Yep- For the hell of it I looked up his combine numbers. If he did this at 308lb and is now at 275, I would assume just like his 40time (he says 4.8 so ok), all of his other measureables should have come down dramatically.

Based on the below, I think you are right. If need be he does have the quickness to play DE in the 4-3. Maybe even DE in the 3-4 in the dime.

Hope he continues to do well.

Johnson

Height: 6024
Weight: 308
40 Yrd Dash: 5.24
20 Yrd Dash: 3.05
10 Yrd Dash: 1.82
Vertical Jump: 24 1/2
Broad Jump: 08'06"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.83
3-Cone Drill: 7.93

Jabaal Sheard

Height: 6027
Weight: 264
40 Yrd Dash: 4.73
20 Yrd Dash: 2.77
10 Yrd Dash: 1.68
Vertical Jump: 31
Broad Jump: 09'07"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.65
3-Cone Drill: 7.34

The above is why Johnson went undrafted. Those workout #s are terrible.

Not sure why Sheard's #s are posted here; to make Johnson"s look even worse?

Hopefully he can replace Easley, man what went through their heads to select Grissom? That is still a mistery to me.

I posted them b/c @IllegalContact and I think Johnson is quick enough to play DE here.

He was 308 when he measured out a few years ago.

Now he is 275 and most recently ran a 4.8 40.

I am projecting that his #s are closer to Sheards now than a DTs

valid question

NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Anthony Johnson

he may well be mud, but my gut tells me that his lost weight and what he's saying are signs that he has matured a bit and is willing to take his craft seriously....he was projected as a 2nd-3rd rounder

While Johnson's skill set allowed him to receive quality grades, teams passed on him after he did poorly in the team interviews. Sources told WalterFootball.com that Johnson didn't present himself well and they had concerns about his work ethic and dedication. Those issues served as a reason for teams as to why Johnson didn't produce more in college.

Sources said that a number of teams felt that off the field, Johnson was similar to former teammate Sam Montgomery. Montgomery went in the third round to Houston in the 2013 NFL Draft, but he didn't even last one season before getting cut. Teams felt Johnson had a makeup similar to Montgomery that, along with his underachieving play in college, caused him to fall to the undrafted ranks.

WalterFootball.com: Why Undrafted?: Anthony Johnson

if he has indeed showed up to be serious about his game, the Pats may have lucked.....we see

Knight in is more of a plugger, Johnson will be taking Early's role, and they need that desperately imo. I think Branch and Knighton will be fighting for a spot with Kuhn.

Knight in is more of a plugger, Johnson will be taking Early's role, and they need that desperately imo. I think Branch and Knighton will be fighting for a spot with Kuhn.

Kuhn is a turnstile in the running game......the guy is active, but he gets moved out of the way much too often

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes