PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excellent article on BB/McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wow. GREAT Column By Mike Lombardi About The Education of a Coach (Not the book)

McDaniels was certainly a jack @$$ ~ which by NO means precludes Brilliance!! ~ but one thing I was 100% behind him on ~ and I'm pretty sure I was the only other soul in the GALAXY who agreed with him on this ~ were the decisions 1 ~ to NOT kiss Cutler's @$$ and 2 ~ once Cutler proved that he felt he was above the team, to TRADE his sorry @$$.

I said, then, and I'll say it, again: The Broncos ~ as HIDEOUSLY stupid as McDaniel's subsequent trades were ~ got the BETTER QB in that trade with the Bears...and getting the better QuarterBack AND 2 1sts and a 3rd ~ minus a 5th ~ was the HOIST of the Modern Era.

Of course, McDaniels is a fool, and he managed to blow it...but his stupidity was matched ~ and in the case of that one trade, ECLIPSED ~ by that of the Bears.

I thought dumping Cutler was fine, they got a great haul of draft picks for it, but then kind of wasted the picks.

But with Cutler having a solid season for a division leader while Josh is updating his resume, it's not the best time to make that argument.

Lombardi tries to compare McDaniels' firing to when Belichick was dumped by the Browns.

There are major differences though.

Belichick actually made the Browns a playoff team quickly. I remember the Browns beating a talented up and coming Patriot team when Belichick was the Brown's coach. Belichick also has no ego, he does everything in the best interest of the team.

The title of that article is odd, when the Broncos basically did let McDaniels make multiple drastic changes to the team.

McDaniels didn't "pay the price because his team wasn't committed to change". He was fired because his team only won 5 of its last 22 games, and along the way he made huge personnel blunders with Hillis, Marshall, Cutler, Sheffler, Alfonso, etc etc. He made his brother an assistant coach without any past credentials. Spygate II was the nail in the coffin. Why did he wait 5 days before even reporting the incident?

McDaniels threw Belichick under the bus on Spygate II, so he can go screw. The team doesn't need him, O'Brien is doing a fine job.

Last edited:
But Lombardi's take on ownership that says they want change but then doesn't have the backbone to stick with it was really interesting.

It's actually pretty common to see that dynamic. It just tells me that Bowlen is like the rest of the pack, mediocre, and so are the Broncos.

McDaniels didn't "pay the price because his team wasn't committed to change". He was fired because his team only won 5 of its last 22 games, and along the way he made huge personnel blunders with Hillis, Marshall, Cutler, Sheffler, Alfonso, etc etc. He made his brother an assistant coach without any past credentials. Spygate II was the nail in the coffin. Why did he wait 5 days before even reporting the incident?
Trading Cutler was the best decision he made as a head coach. Orton is twice the QB Cutler is. Other than that though, he's been horrible with personnel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back