PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Excellent article on BB/McDaniels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodie

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
"I saw this before, back in 1996, when I was director of player personnel for the Browns and owner Art Modell fired Bill Belichick over the phone on Valentine's Day. Modell struggled with the fans' reluctance to embrace their young coach from his first day on the job. Modell struggled with the losing season as the team planned to move from Cleveland to Baltimore. More than anything, he struggled with staying with the plan. Modell failed to see the future, as he wanted to make the fans happy and never felt there was more than a ripple of hope staying the course with his youthful coach."

NFL.com news: McDaniels paid price for Broncos' lack of commitment to change

Yup. Sadly though the mitigating factor was Josh literally shooting himself in the foot over that walkthrough tape Scar's idiot son for some unfathomable reason chose to film. That is gonna dog Josh for some time as it is indicative of very poor judgement. That wasn't swinging and missing on a player evaluation. He's done that too but then they all do. And it wasn't getting a little ahead or full of yourself, which most of them do too. It wasn't even about butting heads with a veteran DC (who has flopped at his next stop too fwiw). Those circumstances are all surmountable. Bill may have had a penchant for pushing the envelope, but it wasn't ever clear enough to stand up in a court of law that he broke an indisputable rule. In Josh's case it was. There was no grey area or alternate interpretation to even allow Josh to rationalize what he did, or more importantly didn't do. He drove the nail into his own coffin. Otherwise I guarantee you he'd be back here in some capacity in 2011. Now I doubt that will happen, although in time it still could. He will have to do his penance as an OC somewhere else or as a HC in college if some teams alumni wants him enough to withstand the outcry over his indiscretion. And in today's NCAA atmosphere that could be difficult. He'll have a tougher road to career resurrection than Bill did or even Eric or RAC or Charlie did. They merely failed. Josh broke the rules in the process of failing and chose undeserved loyalty over honesty and accountability. That constituted an Epic Fail.

I find Josh's story--- that Steve Scarencchia taped 6 mins of the walk through on his own and then brought it to Josh who stuck his fingers in his ears and closed his eyes shouting, "nooo I don't want to see it," and then failed to report it -- a little hard to believe but....

But Lombardi's take on ownership that says they want change but then doesn't have the backbone to stick with it was really interesting.

I think people should stand up and say the video thing was silly and played no role in anything.

What I find shocking is that Denver replaced McDaniels with the RB coach. If anybody has watched the Bronco's, they would know that they did not have a running game. You want to know who ratted Josh out, look no further than the new coach.

I think people should stand up and say the video thing was silly and played no role in anything.

What I find shocking is that Denver replaced McDaniels with the RB coach. If anybody has watched the Bronco's, they would know that they did not have a running game. You want to know who ratted Josh out, look no further than the new coach.

They probably figured having no RBs coach wouldn't hurt them that much given the lack of results ;)

Maybe he was po'ed they got rid of Hillis and gave him Maroney to work with.......

I still don't get the timing of firing Josh. If it was about the videotaping incident, then fire him right after the story broke. If it's about poor performance then fire him either when there's enough time left to save the season (see Cowboys) or after the season ends. You can tell this is an organization in trouble because even the timing of their decisions doesn't make sense.

Obviously Lombardi is an insider on this, but that article has so many logical flaws, it's incredible. As I say, his opinion is worth more than most as a real insider, but he seems to conveniently gloss over lots of facts.

Modell had a wonderful heart. He wanted to make his fan base happy, therefore hiring Belichick after winning a Super Bowl with the New York Giants was great, and firing him after the fans revolted was also great -- never mind he just extended his contract.

Parse that paragraph, including the knowledge that he moved the damn team the last year.

If Modell was concerned only with the fans, BB would have been long gone before that. He wasn't exactly Mr. popularity in his early term.

I wasn't aware that the Broncos had been a shambles all those years. I remember a consistently tough, competitive team. Had McDaniel made mostly excellent decisions for the future? Some, but I'd say that was very questionable.

Summing up my thoughts: Sources are important and Lombardi is more qualified than most to have an opinion on the BB McDaniels comparison, but he certainly doesn't come out as unbiased in this piece IMO.

Summing up my thoughts: Sources are important and Lombardi is more qualified than most to have an opinion on the BB McDaniels comparison, but he certainly doesn't come out as unbiased in this piece IMO.

Well it's an opinion piece so he doesn't have to be unbiased.

I find Josh's story--- that Steve Scarencchia taped 6 mins of the walk through on his own and then brought it to Josh who stuck his fingers in his ears and closed his eyes shouting, "nooo I don't want to see it," and then failed to report it -- a little hard to believe but....

But Lombardi's take on ownership that says they want change but then doesn't have the backbone to stick with it was really interesting.

Why would it be hard to believe? You've never had a friend offer you something illegal, refuse it, and not turn him over to the authorities?

Well it's an opinion piece so he doesn't have to be unbiased.

No one's ever really unbiased. I'm just pointing out that, even though he has much inside knowledge her, the article seems to edit facts to fit his script.

My post says there are logical flaws in what evidence he presented, not that he's biased.

Last edited:
Why would it be hard to believe? You've never had a friend offer you something illegal, refuse it, and not turn him over to the authorities?

I have trouble believing Scarencchia would tape it on his own especially since both men knew first hand what could happen. Doesn't quite pass my sniff test.

Last edited:
I have trouble believing Scarencchia would tape it on his own especially since both men knew first hand what could happen. Doesn't quite pass my sniff test.

This sort of thing happens about a bajillion times every day. Not specifically the taping, but the wrongdoing despite knowledge of the consequences.

Last edited:
Re: Wow. GREAT Column By Mike Lombardi About The Education of a Coach (Not the book)

Good column, and he brings up an excellent point. Young coaches are being hired all the time now over experienced guys, but owners don't realize young coaches are new too and need to learn and grow and mature, just like players.

If you want to hire a younger coach, you're hiring the potential for greatness, and you have to be willing to go through some bumps in the road just like with a high draft pick. If you're not willing to do that, take the older, more experienced guy. At least you know what you're getting.

It was a major mistake to give Josh the personnel power he had though. But I think he would have learned from those mistakes in time.

Re: Wow. GREAT Column By Mike Lombardi About The Education of a Coach (Not the book)

Yes, I liked the article too. The funniest bit (for me) was when Lombardi discussed those who had become head coaches after working under Belichick. A certain former Jets coach wasn't mentioned ...

I love Lombardi's articles, especially when he used to write for NFP. I liked him there than at nfl.com because the comments at nfl.com are just so bad. At NFP, the comments are intelligent because the readers are intelligent football fans.

One of the most thought provoking columns I've read in a long time:

NFL.com news: McDaniels paid price for Broncos' lack of commitment to change

Good column, and he brings up an excellent point. Young coaches are being hired all the time now over experienced guys, but owners don't realize young coaches are new too and need to learn and grow and mature, just like players.

If you want to hire a younger coach, you're hiring the potential for greatness, and you have to be willing to go through some bumps in the road just like with a high draft pick. If you're not willing to do that, take the older, more experienced guy. At least you know what you're getting.

It was a major mistake to give Josh the personnel power he had though. But I think he would have learned from those mistakes in time.

McDaniels was certainly a jack @$$ ~ which by NO means precludes Brilliance!! ~ but one thing I was 100% behind him on ~ and I'm pretty sure I was the only other soul in the GALAXY who agreed with him on this ~ were the decisions 1 ~ to NOT kiss Cutler's @$$ and 2 ~ once Cutler proved that he felt he was above the team, to TRADE his sorry @$$.

I said, then, and I'll say it, again: The Broncos ~ as HIDEOUSLY stupid as McDaniel's subsequent trades were ~ got the BETTER QB in that trade with the Bears...and getting the better QuarterBack AND 2 1sts and a 3rd ~ minus a 5th ~ was the HOIST of the Modern Era.

Of course, McDaniels is a fool, and he managed to blow it...but his stupidity was matched ~ and in the case of that one trade, ECLIPSED ~ by that of the Bears.

I don't see how McDaniels has the makings of a head coach at all. he was an assistant to bb. Big deal. Things like trading up for Tebow show that he doesn't have much common sense. 1st for Alphonso smith? Insisting on remaking them into a 3-4 team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back