Welcome to PatsFans.com

Example of wasteful Government?

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mcgraw_wv, Mar 13, 2009.

1. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I just heard a Smokey the Bear commercial on the Radio, did you know that 9 out of 10 wildfires are caused by Humans?

"Created in 1944, the Smokey Bear campaign is the longest running public service campaign in history"

Yet today, more than 60 years of funding this program, 9 out of 10 fires are STILL started by Humans... That's 90% people...

"in 2006 the National Park Service had an annual budget of $2.2 billion"

No I know the smokey the bear campaign isn't anywhere near 2.2 billion... but I'm sure a lot goes into the production of materials, commercials etc... all paid by us.

If we are still at 90% human caused... Is this money well spent? Only if in 1960 was the rate 97%...

So yes I know it sounds like im attacking a beloved character to our country... but I heard this commercial and he said "90% of wildfires are caused by humans" I instantly thought, so why they hell are we still giving you money to inform people... perhaps your education is causing more than reducing... I felt like they were advertising their own failure as a government program...

2. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

It's almost certainly a Public Service Announcement you saw, ads that the media runs for free, usually because they don't have the paying ads. The only cost for the ad was the original production, and that was probably a small cost even if the ads help prevent a single fire.

3. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

I'm fairly certain that the foresty service pays for those...

Even though, the point is, for 60 years, were still at 90%...

4. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Well, one of the problems with liberalism is that it's difficult to measure what is stopped beforehand. The advantage conservatives have is they address problems after they occur -- let the bad thing happen and then address the problem. Would there be more forest fires if it wasn't for Smokey the Bear? I don't know. But, along the same lines, I remember as a very little kid that littering was perfectly normal. Eat a candy bar and throw the wrapper away. Then along came Lady Bird Johnson and the campaign to Keep America Beautiful. Now, I think there are very few people who litter. The campaign appeared to have paid off.

That said, I think it would be very difficult to measure the impact of the Smokey the Bear ads because there are so many variables.

5. Stokes

Stokes In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I agree with Patters, we don't know how many little pyros put down the matches because Smoky told them and prevented not only forest fires but house fires as well. You'd have to measure # of human caused fires before 1944 vs. after and then adjust for increased population in areas most prone to wildfires as well as weather patterns that made some years more dangerous than others. Not an easy study to do.

6. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

as opposed to liberals who actually create the problems

7. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

Smoky the Bear is one of those feel good programs that happens in government. Whether it is good or not is not the issue lots of folks feel good about it. Should it continue, who knows.. but it does have momemtum.

Consider the DARE program, cops love it, parents love it, schools love it, community loves it.. but longitudinal studies have shown it to be pretty inneffective.

8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

The point of the thread leaves a LOT of doors open.

If we spend 650 Billion on defense and we were attacked on 9-11, does that mean that our money was poorly spent?

some things are effective, even if you don't see results. I know for a fact those ads worked on me as a kid.

9. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

What are you talking about? Civil rights? Women's rights? Gay rights? Social Security? Veteran's benefits? Environmental cleanup? The space program? Government regulation of Wall Street? Medicaid/Medicare? etc.

10. mcgraw_wv

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Ehhh.. But I would say that 60 years of spending all that money defense gives us the ability to blow the snot out of anything in the world within a few minutes...

I see the point on fuzzy things, that make people happy.

It just occured to me when I heard the commercial, that man... have you guys not lowered the rate at all in the last 20 years that ive known about it?

Also: Keep a close eye of the latest Smokey the Bear TV commercial out there... It's about a dude smoking a joint...

Found it: YouTube - Diner

NO one holds a cigarette like that, and the dude is a pure stoner... Followed by the ending slogan of "Get your smokey on"...

11. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Had a Russian-Jew refugee in my Catholic High School. When he got here, someone gave him a joint and that was it for him. Biggest stoner in class. His nickname was "Smoky the Bear".

12. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Did you just channel Harry?

step away from the Ouija board!

the power of Christ COMPELS YOU!

DEMONS OUT!

13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Oh my SANTA!

I do sound like the H-Boy!

Someone shoot me, QUICK!

14. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

So you mean conservatives scoop Smokey's poop after it hits a walking trail and liberals try to cork his azz? :confused2:

15. Patters

Ratings:
    +492 / 20 / -17

Absolutely right -- Conservatives want to make a mess so they get to clean it up.

16. ljuneau

ljuneau Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

And liberals want to plug Smokey's butt up with concrete to permantly prevent him from creating flatulence that is the major contributor to global warming.

17. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,814 / 35 / -29

#87 Jersey

Gotta love how we reduce the political world to real life examples. :p

18. spacecrime

spacecrime Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

I agree. The government should not be tellilng people to put out campfires and to be careful with matches. That is friggin' irresposnible of the government :rolleyes:

19. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

There's twice as many people living the USA today over 1944. I'm basing that statement on the census numbers from 1940 and 2000. That should correlate to about twice as many people visiting national parks. Which in turn should correlate to something like twice as many man-made forest fires. If you want to judge this program that ought to be the starting point. Not whether its still 90% of something else entirely.