Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ex-Bush admin official: Many at Gitmo are innocent

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Mar 19, 2009.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

With all the neo con articles about this subject here lately i want to be fair and balanced, because thats the kind of guy am. So heres a story about prisoners at Gitmo from a former Bush aid.

Ex-Bush admin official: Many at Gitmo are innocent

detainees locked up at Guantanamo were innocent men swept up by U.S. forces unable to distinguish enemies from noncombatants, a former Bush administration official said Thursday. "There are still innocent people there," Lawrence B. Wilkerson, a Republican who was chief of staff to then-Secretary of State Colin Powell, told The Associated Press. "Some have been there six or seven years."....continued

It did not matter if a detainee were innocent. Indeed, because he lived in Afghanistan and was captured on or near the battle area, he must know something of importance," Wilkerson wrote in the blog. He said intelligence analysts hoped to gather "sufficient information about a village, a region, or a group of individuals, that dots could be connected and terrorists or their plots could be identified."
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

"Some 800 men have been held at Guantanamo since the prison opened in January 2002, and 240 remain. Wilkerson said two dozen are terrorists, including confessed Sept. 11 plotter Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, who was transferred to Guantanamo from CIA custody in September 2006."

24/800

thats 3%
  3. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

If they can prove their innocence turn them loose, give them free housing in Chicago, a drivers license, food stamps and a Plasma TV, these people are just as good as Aunt Zucchini, I would let them stay in America and tell them they never have to work again, if they can't drive or if they don't want their free drivers license give them a Free Donkey and a lifetime of free Hay.

GOD BE WITH THEM

:bricks:
  4. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Waiting for the neo aon excuse machine to start with something along the line of "you have to break a few eggs to make an omlet"
    In this case 726 eggs.

Or how would you like it if you were just walking past or were in the area of a Aryan Nation rally and got picked up,and tossed in jail for 6-7 years? Now that i think of it there are a few here that would like it.
  5. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I have to draw the line at plasma tv . I don't even own one of those.
  6. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -1

This is exactly why I'm opposed to holding people indefinately, without any form of due process. I'd honestly prefer we let someone go, only to fight them again, if we really don't have a case for holding them. While I can totally understand picking up shady cats post 9/11, on the battlefield in Afghanistan, at some point, within reason, you've got to charge them, or let them go.
  7. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

indeed! thats what makes us better than them. The Law.
  8. Roland

Roland Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

another liberal jagoff thread where's Kevorkian when u need him
  9. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Man what an articulate post it should be asked where was the abortion dr. before you were born. (I'm generally against abortion but you do make a good case for it.) Anyways I'm not a liberal i'm a middle of the road Ind.pragmatist that got sick of reading neo-clown trash spouted by helmut wearing, former Special Ed kids like you. Now run along i heard BF, FOG, pf13 (agent 13) were having a circle jerk on another thread. Someone needs a hand to the rt.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

Its like you are channeling William Shakespeare with the poetry that seems to flow from your keyboard. I feel as if I am front row at the Globe on opening night of Hamlet at times. Your clever use of language emerses me in your story so much that it makes me feel like I am Rosencrantz himself.....merely a side player, but....crucial to the outcome.

5 stars and two thumbs UP!
  11. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

That's the thing- WHO's in Gitmo exactly? We've heard everything from the most dangerous,violent,evil people known to man, to a bunch of posers planted there or put there for who knows what reasons-just to prove we have "terrorists" I guess.

Once this is all said and done our heads will spin just from the spin of the story:stars2:
  12. tanked_as_usual

tanked_as_usual Banned

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

but you're not better than them
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

saw this story ... more corroboration in the court of public opinion against the most criminal administration in U.S. history...

surprised this thread has gone this long without some Bush drone smearing Wilkerson, like they always used to when he exposed the Bush League in PBS Frontline's: "The Dark Side" and "Iraq for Sale."
  14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I'll agree with you, Jeremy....I'm not better than them...

I'm WAY better than them! Good lookin out, dog.

P.S. I can't belive your parents are letting you stay up so late on a school night, isn't this the topps!?
  15. Terry Glenn is a cowgirl

Terry Glenn is a cowgirl Banned

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

I thought I was the only 1...
  16. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

Yes and I’m sure the new administration will take this information and immediately release the remaining 216 innocents, right? And since the rest of the world has been saying all this all along there will no doubt be fighting over who will win the right to accept them. Come on world, they’re innocent. Step up to the plate…put your money where your mouth is. Any takers???:confused:
  17. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Yea, your right I got all excited thinking about those poor little bastards, why is it taking so long for Barry to close that placewhy doesn't he just "free them" today.

Barry has a beautiful smile.
  18. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Poor baby you take the word of a terrorist supporter at face value.

I imagine you don't have loved ones in the filed. I would prefer to have some innocent detainees than put 1 American soldier's life at risk.

No apologies either.
  19. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Agent 13 again you provide me the reason for calling you that. Your calling Wilkerson a terrorist?

I take it your an omelet kind of guy.

And....... yes my son is in the AF Special Ops.

Better get on the shoe-phone to CONTROL, KAYOS is about to reign.

Anything else hot shot.
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

What I am saying is that Wilkerson doesn not and did not have specific information about how many of the detainees were and wer not terrorist as the article strongly implies, he is assuming that if we didn't have specific information that they were terrorist then he ASSUMES that they were innocent.He offers no proof of this. Whne the people were picked up on the battlefield I would err on the side of protecting American Servicemen given the history of terrorist leaving Gitmo and returning to attack AMERICANS. Sorry the lives of AMERICANS defending us is more important to me that the potential detainment of an innocent Afghani. or Arab hanging out on the battlefield in Afghanistan.
  21. Stokes

Stokes Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

So this shows me that many of the innocent have already been released, correct? Its not like Gitmo was some place of no return for suspected terrorists: if they were thought to be innocent they were released. In fact we've seen that if anything the US was too lax in who they released, judging by the recidivism rate among the released. This leads me to believe that the people that remain are not overwhelmingly innocent bystanders who just happened to get caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. Making definitive statements like many are innocent seems folly to me.
  22. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Well this is more lucid then the previous post,and it is someone elses opinion. But if you read closer it was an informed opinion PF13.

Wilkerson who first made the assertions in an Internet posting on Tuesday, told the AP he learned from briefings and by communicating with military commanders that the U.S. soon realized many Guantanamo detainees were innocent but nevertheless held them in hopes they could provide information for a "mosaic" of intelligence
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2009
  23. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

His information is dated he left gov in 2005, how many have been released since then. Of course there is no motivation to hold the innocent, WHY? cause we needed the room for more bad guys at GITMO. IMO the innocent are long gone from GITMO in 2009, in fact many guilty left GIMTO and tragically killed AMERICANS.