Welcome to PatsFans.com

Evidence mounts of a strong economic recovery...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Apr 15, 2010.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Not an economist, and do not pretend to be one... but find this article in the WSJ very interesting..

Confident that the "ain't it awful and never gonna get better" crowd will dispute this article with their reliance on blogs and hysteria... good morning.

Evidence Mounts Of Strong Recovery - WSJ.com

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. khayos

khayos Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

1.6% is HUGE!
  3. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +140 / 1 / -8

We ALL want the economy to recover. But "Retail Sales" reports don't tell an accurate story because they're based upon "same store sales". As you recall, the only thing that matters regarding retail sales is TOTAL consumer spending. Unfortunately, most analysts use same store sale to gauge consumer spending and if 10% of all retail locations have closed in the past 2 years, it's difficult to assess.

But if I could get my wish, we'd have a very slooowwww recovery. I say that because I'm leary of "Bubble-economies" created by gov't spending. Slow growth in the economy and on Wall Street is much more favorable than dramatic leaps forward because slow growth is sustainable and healthier.

When you look at all the factors that contributed to the most sever economic world crisis since the GD, it's just logical that the economic base is still very unstable and that doesn't provide a solid foundation for a speedy recovery.

But in our society of "I want it now!", very few have the patience to wait much longer. Another factor I REALLY don't like is that politicians have a stake in a speedy economic recovery...and that's not good for any of us.
  4. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That was a really pathetic attempt at spin, DarrylS... even by your already low standards. :rofl: :rofl:

There's only one economic indicator people care about: Unemployment. It is a very simple statistic and one people can understand. Inflation-adjusted GDP is meaningless because the human mind cannot comprehend those types of figures. But if that's all you have to go with, then so be it.
  5. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

I guess what you see depends on where you look from the Economic Policy Journal:

The artile is about Uncle Sam's cash flow problem.
  6. atomdomb

atomdomb Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

This is all well and good but we lost another 484,000 jobs last week.

News Headlines
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I hope things turn around tomorrow. Good news is always welcome. The economy will turn around at some point, as it always has. The question is when will it, and how strong will it be when it does. With so many people (consumers) out of work, I'm not sure how robust any recovery will be. I see they are again extending unemployment benefits. I'm leary of what all this spending will mean long term.
  8. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

To be fair, I have to point out that Darryl did not write the headline or the article. It's a Wall Street Journal online article,which is not known for liberal spin. I hope he's right. I remember liberals here doing this during the Bush years but It looks just as silly when conservatives kick and scream every time there seems to be good news to report too ya know.
  9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +295 / 1 / -7

Three big factors in a stronger rising economy,
    1 Sarah Palin
    2 Tea Party's
    3 Ronald Reagan's Ghost

:rofl::rofl:
  10. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

Really...

Not only is that statement false, but even if it were true, what they "care about" would be missing the big picture (though I don't dispute that could easily happen with many people).
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My statement is 100% accurate and I stand by it. I doubt most people even know what the GDP is. But everyone understands the unemployment rate, and that's overwhelmingly how people are going to vote.
  12. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

There is no need for personal attacks, but when all else fails some need to resort to this..
  13. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

Then that would make it a political indicator. It is an end result of the economy- not a driving force except for the fact that, as RW alluded to, there is less money to be spent by consumers.

Unemployment has been caused by factors like stupid trade agreements and "globalization" of our manufacturing base. In order to get people back to work, we will have to invent new service jobs, and that can't last forever.A country that creates nothing and consumes everything cannot sustain itself. That, more than the tax rate and program spending, is the most crucial factor in the long run for this economy, IMO. Production cannot be based strictly on "billable hours" and corporate revenues. We actually should be producing something.
  14. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +145 / 2 / -1

While this statement now veers into voting patterns, it is at least accurate, probably, unlike your last one.

But the fact also remains that while that may be a popular way of viewing the economy, it still misses a lot.
  15. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

They did it then, and republicans will do it now. One thing you'll hear for sure, should/when the jobs figures start to turn around, is how all the jobs are minimum wage deals at McDonald's. Remember people saying that all the time? I do, and I expect the people who criticized it then, will be the one's hollaring it this time around. Coke or Pepsi.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

Unemployment filing are up again this week, rates are rising, oil is ticking up, and there are 7 million home mortgages currently in default. I think that while we should see a cyclical move upward, it will be tempered, or somewhat uneven. I still believe the stock market is headed for a mini-bust real soon. I've been reading how trading is low, which has people a little nervous about a bubble.
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +107 / 7 / -10

IRS withholding is down big time ie the amount of salay being earned is down significently from last year at this time. There aren't as many people employed/they aren't making as much money bottom line.
  18. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Um, what personal attack? :confused: You're seeing things that aren't there.
  19. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +150 / 3 / -19

Perhaps you do not understand the rules, may want to review them...
  20. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'll repeat the question: Um, what personal attack? :confused: