PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everyone wants to talk WRs, let's talk CBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

patriot1136

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about our CB situation. I'm a big Butler and Ryan fan believe it or not. I think Butler will actually get better next year. Ryan on the other hand, will improve some but I feel his ceiling isn't as high as Butler's. I liked what I saw from Justin Coleman and keeping in mind that he is a rookie, he should continue to improve as well. What happened with Leonard Johnson? I thought he had a good game or 2 then it seemed like he didn't play. Is he back next year? Any chance Tarrell Brown will be back? He was a solid player until he got injured. Having him as that veteran presence seemed to be beneficial as it allowed them to better utilize him and Ryan in coverages. I guess the dark horse in all of this will be Darryl Roberts and whatever he can bring to the team. Thoughts?

No need to go after a defensive back or safety this year.
Unless a ridiculous talent drops in the draft or we uncover a free agent gem.
I would be shocked if we put any money in the secondary.
Norman will get PAID hes the only player that improves this secondary.
Kurt Coleman isnt going anywhere he is a improvement coverage wise to Chung and Harmon.
If Darius Slay was somehow available but other then that no need to put anymore money in the secondary.
Build the Offensive line make sure we have a runningback who can finish games and improve wide receiver talent and we will be knocking on the door next season.

Brown said a few weeks ago that he'd like to be back with the Pats. I can't see anybody offering him too much money so it shouldn't be terribly difficult to get him back if the interest is mutual.

I feel pretty good with our defense in general. Just need some competition for linebacker behind Collins/Hightower, and figure out what's happening with Hicks (re-sign or replace) and we're good. Of course if a solid vet is available for short money or like you said a good talent falls in the draft, depth is never a bad thing. But I want this offseason to be like the one leading into 2007, except instead of revamping the WR's, we build a dominant O-Line.

I feel pretty good with our defense in general. Just need some competition for linebacker behind Collins/Hightower, and figure out what's happening with Hicks (re-sign or replace) and we're good. Of course if a solid vet is available for short money or like you said a good talent falls in the draft, depth is never a bad thing. But I want this offseason to be like the one leading into 2007, except instead of revamping the WR's, we build a dominant O-Line.

Still think they need a target outside. I think the dobson project should be over. I don't know what happened to lafell. He gave us nothing in the last few weeks. The chandler move sucked. Keshawn Martin is ok but idk. Our only physical receiver is gronk.

Still think they need a target outside. I think the dobson project should be over. I don't know what happened to lafell. He gave us nothing in the last few weeks. The chandler move sucked. Keshawn Martin is ok but idk. Our only physical receiver is gronk.

I'm not opposed to adding the type of WR you're talking about, but only if there are funds left over after we're confident that the line is solid. If the o-line looks like it did by the end of this year, that WR will be completely wasted.

I'm not opposed to adding the type of WR you're talking about, but only if there are funds left over after we're confident that the line is solid. If the o-line looks like it did by the end of this year, that WR will be completely wasted.

They can add another OL through the draft. We need to start running the football again as well

They can add another OL through the draft. We need to start running the football again as well

We just added two kids through the draft, and added another as an UDFA. We have the youth needed, we need a more defined talent (a veteran) to off set in case they don't develop. In other words, if Mason and/or Jackson don't pan out next year, I don't want to be left relying on another rookie who may break down as the rigors of the NFL start to pile on.

I'm curious as to what everyone thinks about our CB situation. I'm a big Butler and Ryan fan believe it or not. I think Butler will actually get better next year. Ryan on the other hand, will improve some but I feel his ceiling isn't as high as Butler's. I liked what I saw from Justin Coleman and keeping in mind that he is a rookie, he should continue to improve as well. What happened with Leonard Johnson? I thought he had a good game or 2 then it seemed like he didn't play. Is he back next year? Any chance Tarrell Brown will be back? He was a solid player until he got injured. Having him as that veteran presence seemed to be beneficial as it allowed them to better utilize him and Ryan in coverages. I guess the dark horse in all of this will be Darryl Roberts and whatever he can bring to the team. Thoughts?

Nicely put, all around.

I'm very happy with the Depth of Talent, there. I was virtually the only Soul who kept Faith with Logan Ryan over the previous Year ~ I'm sure there were others ~ so his Ascension is very gratifying.

If we can keep all those guys around, I'd be very happy...though of course I wouldn't let that stop me from scouring the Late Rounds and UFA's for High Ceiling Talent!! :D

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we trade for Jason McCourty, after all we reportedly tried to at the trade deadline and with a former Patriot now the former GM......

Leonard Johnson is a decent #5 but replaceable and Darryl Roberts is untested. I can see BB wanting to add a veteran.

Roberts and Coleman have a lot of similarities, so it will be interesting if they decide to choose to bring in a different type of corner. Both graded out as two of the most athletic CBs entering the league, with elite change of direction skills.

I would be surprised if they dont add a safety with Wilson leaving. Laugh if you want since Wilson wasnt highly used, but with Harmon also a year from free agency, they cannot afford to have no one in the development plans.

Get Brown back with Butler and Ryan with Chung and Dmac back there...a top 5 unit which I am pretty sure they were this year IIRC

Keep Logan Ryan on the bench all season unless we're playing Denver so he can shut DT down :p.

No in all serious Ryan is a good #2 corner, but I agree with others that he has a low ceiling. Basically meaning if Butler gets injured for an extended period of time, we are in trouble because Ryan isn't a #2 corner that can evolve into a #1 corner, he's strictly a #2 at best.

We definitely should look to add CB depth in this passing league.

Brown and Daryl Roberts will be back. I would still support drafting one, maybe on day two, but that's about it. The Pats need to invest in WR and they need to invest in OL.

Butler: Great #1 CB with an elite ceiling. Should improve.
Ryan: A flawed #2 CB but definitely more than serviceable.
Coleman: Proved he can play in the NFL as a rookie. Solid #3 CB option with upside.

Roberts is the X-Factor. He led TC in pass breakups and has the physical traits to be a great CB. He will be a lot of fans' choice for breakout player of 2016.

This group is above average and most of all young. A vet CB for the 5th spot will do (T. Brown is fine).

No need to use draft capital at this position. We had a great defense with Butler/Ryan and Roberts has a chance to be a great #2 CB.

Butler: Great #1 CB with an elite ceiling. Should improve.
Ryan: A flawed #2 CB but definitely more than serviceable.
Coleman: Proved he can play in the NFL as a rookie. Solid #3 CB option with upside.

Funny how Ryan can struggle vs Bad WRs..but guys like DT he does FANTASTIC against. ( I believe DT is super soft however.

There was another big time WR or two he shut down or did well against this year...forgetting the name

Funny how Ryan can struggle vs Bad WRs..but guys like DT he does FANTASTIC against. ( I believe DT is super soft however.

There was another big time WR or two he shut down or did well against this year...forgetting the name

Deandre Hopkins.

I'm fine with him as the #2 CB. It's frustrating how he can play great vs. some elite WRs then get beat consistenly by Jason Avant.

I think Ryan was doing fine against everyone, until McCourty and Chung got hurt. Once the safety play diminished, that's when you started seeing Ryan's play take a dip. Once the playoffs hit and McCourty/Chung got right, Ryan's play picked up again.

He's not going to lock anyone down on his own, but he became a very solid complimentary piece this year.

I remember when our DB's were the board whipping boys. (The offensive linemen have earned that title for now.) The players we have performed well and should get better. *IF* another DB is drafted or signed it will be because the coaches could not resist and are thinking ahead a few years. Gone are the days when obscure back-up QB's could carve us up like a turkey.

I think that we're OK if everyone comes back
Butler, Ryan, Brown, Coleman, Roberts, Johnson

I'm sure that we'll add a couple of veterans to compete in camp, as we always do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back