Welcome to PatsFans.com

Everybody was kung-fu fighting!

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by TBradyOwnsYou, Jun 16, 2010.

1. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

I would have shot her.
  3. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I saw the whole video this morning (don't have the link off-hand). The cop was trying to cuff one woman, her friend got involved, and he told her to back off. She put her hands on him, and he punched her. He's going to be in trouble and punching may not have been the best move, but you CANNOT put your hands on a cop in a situation like that. At all. How's he supposed to know that she doesn't pose a significant threat? Sorry, he had to do something.
  4. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

Watch the news on Fox they show the whole video, these wildcats were all over that Cop I commend him for not clubbing them or shooting them, I could never take that sh!t.
  5. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I guess it's time for another beer summit
  6. Leave No Doubt

Leave No Doubt PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Post Of The Day:singing:
  7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 4 / -2

Not a good situation to have on camera, especially when it's a white cop and black civilians. Never the less, the question to me is, what happened before the video, that initiated the struggle. Was the cop justified, was the woman in question non compliant, or do we have a case of a person of authority over stepping their bounds. From where the video starts, we can't determine that. What we can judge, is whether or not the punch to the other woman was justified, and to me, it's a unfortunate yes. You can't grab at a cop when they are struggling to arrest, or cuff someone. The cop has no idea what said personas intentions are, and he can't take any chances to find out. Especially since he was alone in that situation.
  8. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Funny thing is the woman has a prior arrest for resisting arrest. No doubt the punching is very bad PR, but I don't think the cop will be reprimanded to harshly.

Most likely a review of tactics and training in this area is forthcoming for the entire force. Probably not a bad thing either. There are better tactics than "punching" that appear less brutal, but equally effective.

He was definitely justified to tase her, and that hurts way more then a "punch". Wonder why he didn't.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2010
  9. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +20 / 3 / -0

#91 Jersey

The cops got a pretty good over hand right, i think it was over the top puncing the women in the face for touching him though.
  10. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You can't shove a cop; but I have to wonder what he's doing approaching a person for crossing 15 feet from a crosswalk. If there's been incidents at that intersection then put him out there with a radar gun.
  11. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

Best part of the clip I saw was that a woman who was watching (a bystander, I assume) had no reaction whatsoever, as if she watches a male cop punch a woman every day
  12. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

I would hope he wasn't going to arrest anybody for jaywalking, but maybe jaywalking is a problem there.

What would a radar gun do if there's a problem with jaywalking?
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I highly doubt he was planning to arrest the girl, but what likely happened is a very innocent encounter quickly became a pissing match. And if there's one thing cops hate, it's losing a pissing match.
    I was kinda wondering that myself. :confused:
  14. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

Radar guns don't just slow speeders down, they slow everyone down. Even if the posted speed limit is 30 and a particular driver is going 25, he'll slow down the moment he sees the cop with the gun and the next time he drives on that road he'll be concerned. His concern for possibly getting a ticket for speeding will make him that much more able to avoid hitting jaywalkers.

If the cops decide that stopping jaywalking is the only good solution to avoiding accidents, then fine. I think its right to trust them; but I also know that by and large nobody expects to get approached by a LEO for jaywalking and under those circumstances some people will react the way those girls did. OTOH there's not too many drivers who aren't concerned with getting a ticket for speeding even if they never speed.

An ancillary benefit here is that every speeding ticket makes the municipality some decent money. I wouldn't be surprised if the best that cop could have done to that girl is give her a ticket for like $20.
  15. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +151 / 2 / -1

was this a jaywalking checkpoint or something? If it wasn't, I'm really note sure how you're arriving at this conclusion.

If a cop sees somebody jaywalking and it's a bad area to jaywalk in, or there's too much jaywalking there, the cop absolutely should do something about that jaywalker. My own view would be that pulling them aside and giving them a warning would suffice, but even if he was going to issue a citation, the person is an idiot and unjustified if they get offensive with the cop.

And none of that really would have anything to do with putting a cop with radar there -- we have no idea whether speeding is a problem there, and if they jaywalker in front of this cop, why wouldn't they jaywalk in front if the radar cop?

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +332 / 1 / -9

1970''s
    So Easton Massachusetts
    Cop stops car on Rte 138 for swerving
    Women in car is drunk
    Cop orders her out of car
    She becomes very unruly
    This cop tries being nice, he trys to reason with her
    The other person gets out of the car and starts arguing he is also drunk
    When cop glances away to talk to second person the women removes her high heel shoe, she swings it at the cops head hitting him in the temple, he was dead before he hit the ground, this is a true story and I am sure it can be found somewhere on the internet.

The stinking b!tch that this cop punched in the face is nothing but street trash.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  17. TBradyOwnsYou

TBradyOwnsYou Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Wouldn't the best way to stop jaywalking be to INCREASE the speed limit??
  18. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -1

No Jersey Selected

i could be wrong, and am not intending to speak for sd, but he could have been stating the radar/speed trap situation because in our fair, backwards state we have laws that state a pedestrian, cross walk or otherwise, whether the street light says "Walk" or not, always has the right away.

residents in MA assume that when they walk out in the street, that law will protect them, like a force field, from a 3000 lb hurtling piece of steel......

only when one realizes that law doesnt exist for good reason; where peds. assume because the law says so, that a car has to stop for them regardless of the cars current physical speed, in many, if any other states, does the question of why bringing up a speed trap make sense

all that being said, the cop prolly shouldnt have punched the woman in the face, but the woman shouldnt have touched the cop....two wrongs dont make a right, and this isnt about race. if it had been a white guy instead of a black girl, he would have been more than punched in the face.