Welcome to PatsFans.com

Everybody I know is voting for Obama

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Aug 20, 2008.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

What a joke some of you guys are. I look down the list of threads and just chuckle.:rolleyes:

With all the lies, inuendos and rumors, you won't change a thing. Seriously, would any of you change your mind and not vote for the geezer?
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

Everyone I know is voting for McCain (except my Dad :confused:) - what's your point ?
  3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0

Here is an interesting factoid, we all travel in different circles and choose to be with like minded people.. even though I associate with a lot of McCain people.. amazingly we all kinda get along, and think that this whole election process borders on the ridiculous.
  4. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ---- JAG ----- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +24 / 1 / -0

#87 Jersey

:confused:.....:disagreement:.....:wha:..... :beersign:
  5. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I bet he takes all 57 states. :rofl:
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Auntie Botox Teeth Pelosi said last week "God sent Obama to us" nobody in the Liberal Media said a word.

Can you just imagine what ChrisTingle Legs Matthews would have been doing if Dick Cheney said "God sent Mccain to us"

Democrat Liberal God-----------Good God
    Republican Conservative God ------------------Bad God

President Barack Hussein Obama--------:rofl:
  7. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Remind me of the reaction of Pualine Kael (NYT movie critic) after the 72 election, she couldn't understand how Nixon won (IIRC he won 49 states) because everyone she knew voted for MCGovern. ;)
  8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Everybody that says "everybody I know is voting for Obama" lives in Cambridge Mass, Hollywood, Frisco and So Central LA.
  9. PatsFanInEaglesLand

PatsFanInEaglesLand Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

and 106% of the registered voters in Philadelphia.
  10. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

My peeps are pretty much split, 50-50

my family who is tied to the republican party and the church is voting McCain...and the rest of my friends are voting for Obama.

I think this election will come down to those who are first time voters for Obama, and if McCain can hold Bush's base.

It will be interesting
  11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

HOO-RAH Mikey!!
  12. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

And how did that turn out?:rolleyes:
  13. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -3

Pretty putrid, Nixon expanded social program spending, imposed price controls to try to control the economy. Worse stiil it set the stage for the disastrous Carter administration. OTOH it would have been worse if McGovern was elected.

I was happy I voted for Ed Clark for Pres. in 72.
  14. Real World

Real World Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -1

I'm not voting for either, so you all can go fu....:D
  15. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

:ditto::yeahthat::eat3:
  16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

If McCain were asked where Evil lies and the vast majority of his answer was "in the United States or caused by the United States" which paraphrases when Obama's answer was - then, no, I would not vote for him.
  17. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Rookie

Ratings:
    +37 / 0 / -7

Ok, I admit I saw a guy on TV last night who said he was gonna vote for McCain...That's the first person I've ever heard say McCain was his man.

Go figure.
  18. STFarmy

STFarmy Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I believe in Harvey Dent!
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  19. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

Do you have anything to back that up with? Or are you so narrow that you don't realize that if Obama criticizes the US for Iraq, it's roughly the same as McCain criticizing the US for abortion. Or if Obama criticizes the US for not helping the poor, it's roughly the same as McCain criticizing the US for overtaxing the rich? Or then again, maybe you won't vote for McCain because to the same degree as Obama he has said the US is evil.
  20. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Everybody I Know Is Dead
  21. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

It's what he said at the "debate" at Saddleback. He first said Darfur - ok - then, within 10 seconds talked about evil on our streets and then he said (someone else's paraphrase, a quick google didn't find a complete transcript) :

"You know a lot of evil has been perpetrated based on the claim that we were trying to confront evil... In the name of good and I think one thing that's very important is having some humility in recognizing that. You know, just because we think our intentions are good doesn't mean that we're going to be doing good"

So he started rambling about us (the U.S.) perpetuating evil when that isn't our intent.

I have two problems with that :

1) IMO Evil requires intent. A terrible act without intent is very sad and unfortunate but not Evil.

2) After a brief mention of Darfur, when asked about Evil it was all about the U.S. You'll make the argument that the "we" he refers to is the world not the U.S. but I don't buy it.
  22. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Rookie

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

The majority of posts here almost mirror the negative campaign ads. We seem to be no different so joke is on us. Are we deciding on who are president is going to be based on how many houses are owned,what a birth certificate says, a spouse an only child or not and what a lost half brother's living conditions are?

And PR, you have to get out more and meet people;). Everyone you know is voting for Obama............kinda the reason for red states and blue states I guess. That happens all over the country.
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  23. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -2

Quoted for context. I want to address your objections specifically but I hate when things become unmoored.

I have these problems with your problems:

1) We get approximations and sometimes downright lies regarding the intent of US actions. Currently we are in a period of reaction against the downright lies we told in order to "do good", which resulted in a great deal of harm.

2) We seem to do evil awfully easily in the name of good lately. We define it as evil to establish a gulag if the Soviets do it. If we do it, but "only for a little while", it is okay... what are we at, 6 years now, 7?

Torture's not "good" by itself. It's evil. Then we talk about how evil has to be okay in the service of good. But that requires a very clear adherence to the service of good -- back to Iraq: We were not accomplishing a recognizable mission. We are augmenting the "forces of evil" as we define them. And then we perpetrate acts of "evil in the service of good," but the underpinning ("service of good") is still conditioned on a false premise.

3) The evil we do is considered "okay" as long as it's one big blunder after another; i.e., the lack of sufficiently evil intent exonnerates us from outsized evil outcomes. If you don't really "feel" evil in your intent, in other words, knowing ahead of time that you're killing a disproportionate number of innocents must still be evil, for the word to have any meaning.

Or, to put the shoe on the other foot:

Let us say I am a bad guy who defines US presence in the middle east as an affront to my deity. So far so good. Let's say I define certain US actions in the past as acts of war. Also so far so good. I am in the general realm of politics not biblical "evil."

But let us say I kill 3,000 people to make my point.

You want to be able to say that is evil. Also so far so good. Looks pretty evil to me.

However, what if I (the bad guy) say I wanted to strike at the American military in the most painful way (per capita) possible, and at the engine of American greed in the way most likely to cause economic ripples to the whole country -- oh and I'm terrible sorry but some waiters and waitresses and receptionists will have to die horrible deaths.

Am I not making precisely the same argument that we make when we talk about intent, if we are firing at 5 suspected armed combatants, and kill 50 unarmed?

The devil is in the details here. And one big detail is a big twist, and that's the WTC. In our lexicon, we wouldn't call that an engine of "war," ergo, a legit target, at least not since we saturation bombed the Germans in 45. So evidently the other guys are using the Truman/Roosevelt rules on civilian targeting...

2) After a brief mention of Darfur, when asked about Evil it was all about the U.S. You'll make the argument that the "we" he refers to is the world not the U.S. but I don't buy it.[/QUOTE]

And McCain stuck entirely to the guys we're already at war with, with no evident admission that America or Americans have any capacity for evil.

I am not anti-American, I am anti-Orwellian. The word "Evil", if we're to use it, should not be used lightly, the characterize entire other worldviews and regimes. If we use the word "Evil" in this way we need to take care, to pervert ol' Neitzche's aphorism, because when we gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes back, talks to the press, and gives relevant countexamples.

We're the most powerful nation on earth, still. We're the most prevalent consumer of resources, still, and the greatest economic engine, still.

Some would say that for a country with 5% of the world's population to so dominate the world is itself evil.

I am not certain that is the case; I believe it more likely that there WILL be such a 5%-nation; consider it a "niche". We fill that niche at present. If the influence of that reality can be lessened by least-oppressive-possible policies I am all for it.

But the notion that the US will not yield a few examples of Evil viewed objectively is preposterous.

You are angry because, as I understand it, Obama does not have the courage to point the finger at another guy and say "You're BAD!"

I believe Obama is as capable as anybody of doing so. Any child can do that.

What takes courage is to look inside and say,

"What can I do to approach the Good," not, "Holy Bible, Batman! Do we have a gadget to defeat this kind of evil?"

I like his point on unintended consequences as well but have a job to get to. Good points, but I think they're an outgrowth of a very self-centered perspective. Not your fault really - we've gotten quite used to it.

PFnV