Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Everybody gets happy when your country is winning something"

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by QuiGon, Jun 28, 2006.

1. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Because I don't want to do an entire research paper educating you about something anyone with a high school diploma should already know (clarification: anyone with a diploma from a private high school, not necessarily a public school where we're lucky if they can even read).
    Didn't your mom ever tell you it's rude to respond to a question with another question..? If you answer mine, I will gladly answer yours.

2. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think that's a bit naive. There are plenty of people - on both sides of the aisle - that are ecstatic when the actions and policies of their opponents fail whether we're talking about war, health care, monetary policy, taxes, etc...

3. dryheat44

dryheat44 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +78 / 2 / -0

#75 Jersey

I would think you need to separate war out of that list. The rest are political issues without the messy bloodshed, and I agree with you that many people hope their perceived opponents' policies and goals fail. But war is different.

There are many people in the world who have no problem with people getting killed for what they consider "the greater good". No matter what you think of W. he has proven this in the Iraq invasion. He feels so strongly that it's for the greater good that 5000 US troops be sent to their deaths that he and his administration massaged the intelligence until they got their desired result. I suppose there are a few who feel that the "greater good" includes embarrassing the other party. There are also some people that would slice their mothers' throat for a quarter. I have no doubt that W. would have you and me murdered in our sleep if it would benefit him politically or financially. He's certainly not alone there.

But I don't think any people on this board are out to get Bush badly enough that they're hoping Americans get killed to do so. Even if they entertained that thought for a second, it's become clear that Bush is willing to sacrifice 100,000+ American lives rather than not "stay the course". This will not be another Viet Nam where public opinion or events will change policy. So even if some deranged person wanted American soldiers to get killed in order to fulfill his or her "greater good" of getting out of Iraq, they would realize that the means will never accomplish the ends. I think every poster here would prefer to win the war in Iraq.

4. Pujo

Pujo Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

LOL, what everyone knows is that the world is run by a raptillion shadow government - go do some research!

5. Mainefan

Mainefan Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

I strongly agree with you Dryheat--and I'm a Liberal. I think it would be terrible if we are perceived as losing this war. I also think this was the wrong war, at the wrong time, with the wrong people.

There is one thing that unites American Liberals and Conservatives and some of us forget that, sometimes. I'm referring to the essentially universal desire of all Americans that their country succeed and prosper and enjoy peace.

We all want that, with equal passion and patriotism. As a member of the Left, I feel that those on the Right who think differently have a profound misunderstanding of what Liberals are all about.

We agree on the goal. We disagree, at times, on the way to reach the goal. Each of us believes, to some degree, that the other's methods are counterproductive, even dangerous.

The bottom line, I think, is that neither of us have the whole truth. We each have parts of it and we're reluctant to recognize the parts of the truth that are on the other side, because it's human nature to think you're right.

If we could stop the name-calling and accusations for awhile and actually listen to each other, there's no telling what we would find, and no telling what our unity would bring us.

Instead, terrorists aim to harm us and we argue among ourselves. Some might say we'll get what we deserve as a result.

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My god daughter's paternal grandparents were born in Puerto Rico. Her grandfather went out and earned the wages and learned English while grandma stayed home with the kids and picked up a bit here and there to get by. The grandparents' kids are all bilingual, and, here's the part that the bigots always ignore, my god daughter speaks English as well as any four-year-old, and can sort of count in Spanish, a little bit. Her 8-year-old brother speaks English perfectly and knows a couple of swear words in Spanish, and that's about it for him.

I must admit that him knowing how to swear in Spanish was mostly my fault, I though it was funny at the time. Who the heck expects a little kid to remember swears so stinkin' well?:D

7. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,985 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

As someone with deep personal and business connections with immigrants I find your comments extremely offensive.

One thing I have always admired of latin-Americans is their deep devotion to their heritage and customs. These people are more devoted to who they are and where they come from than natural born Americans.

Most of them have no problem with their children integrating into being American as long as they remember their heritage. quite honorable and generations later Italians, Germans, Polish. French etc... still do the same...but their number is dwindling.

Most of our families have been here long enough for the heritage to disappear. My kids for instance are French, Italian, Jewish, Polish and English. If they marry and have kids with someone whose heritage is not from the above then what exactly are these kids other than True Americans. Except for the heritage of their last name...exactly which heritage should they celebrate.

These people are very, very happy to live here and they simply don't ever want to forget where they came from. Why should they forget and who are you to say they must???

I'm 1/2 Italian and my team is always Italy...my grandfather would be very proud of that...he came from Italy when he was 19 and never forgot where he came from...listened to Italian radio and read italian newspapers. I have no connection there like he did so it ends with me. It will also end at some point for these immigrants if they choose to marry based on love or money instead of heritage.

HEY QUI GON...HERE IS A SITE FOR YOU:

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

http://www.stormfront.org/forum/showthread.php?t=305726

8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was reading your post and thought it was very well written and thought provoking. I am not saying I was doing a complete 360 but it was leading me to consider this from other points of view. For a few moments, I was actually pretty darn impressed.

It's just a damn shame you had to completely ruin your own post and your own credibility by your scumbag maneuver of throwing in those gratuitous links at the very end.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2006
  9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,985 / 41 / -31

#24 Jersey

Sorry if you and Bubba speak the same language QuiGon:
    There's much I sould say..but I'll stick to just 2.

What makes you think Latin-American countries are cesspools?
    Is a cesspool any impoverished place where Quigon does not live?

10. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

That's OK. It doesn't bother me that you are a bigot and always making false assumptions about other people. Sure, it speaks volumes about your complete lack of character, but why should your complete lack of character concern me...?
    Gee, I'm sorry. You're absolutely right. They are places of absolute paradise where everyone is happy, singing and at peace with the world around them. That explains why record numbers of Latinos are leaving their native lands and coming to America. [/sarcasm]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2006