PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Every NFL team is going defense first in free agency

varjao

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I was taking a look at the FA tracker and it seems that Seattle definitely set the tone and every body is going defense.

The top FA's are almost all gone, that means we won't be able to fix entirely our needs, the biggest miss is on Ward in my opinion. I would even give him priority over Talib.

So now what's left? Maybe go on the opposite direction and put the coins on offense? With an offense like Denver had last year, would Brady be able to win Seattle only with offense? In spite of the 3 rings we won with defense, we almost got 2 with only offense as well and we had a great shot in 2010 too, unfortunately that lost to the Jets, lets say, wasn't on the plans.

So I don't think it's only defense, or only offense, we all know a balanced team is the ideal but most of the time teams have one side of the ball stronger than the other. In Seattle's case, they had a great QB, but still young and developing, their defense on the other hand is already a top 2 of all times. So that's a case when you focus on your defense.

In NE, having Brady, the GOAT, not giving him the best weapons to work with, is kind of wasting our best asset. I would love to have a dominant defense again, but that's far far away currently. Maybe turning the focus to a 35 avg points offense again would give us a better chance over the next 2 years.

That's why we sent special teams and locked up Danny Aiken. BB is playing stratego while the rest of these fools are playing connect four.

*Note* Not complaining, I don't think Aiken is all we're going to sign. Still plenty of time to make moves.

So what you're saying is...Steve Smith, Jimmy Graham, Sammy Watkins, and Mike Evans will all be Patriots to go along with Gronk this season?

I could live with that.

bad markets really bring out the rose colored glasses around these parts. Ward over Talib? LMAO Talib is being payed like the #1 corner in football right now. Ward took a deal that was about worth his value. Don't let the lack of big names entice you into thinking that the bpa is actually bp at his position.

Looking for silver linings, I'm hoping that the feeding frenzy on defense in Free Agency will make teams more likely to go offense early in the draft. Then the Pats can load up on defense at much lower cost.

Looking for silver linings, I'm hoping that the feeding frenzy on defense in Free Agency will make teams more likely to go offense early in the draft. Then the Pats can load up on defense at much lower cost.

Or better yet... they keep going all defense, and the nice talent pool of WR's in this draft will actually come down low enough for us to snag one with some pure talent as opposed to another blue collar project that ends up putting up 1000 yards due to our system and TB and signs with our arch-rival when BB realizes he's not worth his market value because he's not purebred talent.

There are two very FAST WR's in this draft. Something I always wanted us to have.

Let's be honest. No matter what moves we make in FA, or in the draft, we're not ending up with a defense to rival the 49ers, Seahawks or even Panthers. And neither will the Donkeys or any other NFL team.

So....why not overload on offense? At least it will be fun to watch.

Despite the focus on defense, I have not heard Brandon Spikes name mentioned at all on twitter or anywhere else. He may have been smart to shut up and not tweet his good bye because a 1-year deal from Belichick maybe the best he could wish to get.

Or better yet... they keep going all defense, and the nice talent pool of WR's in this draft will actually come down low enough for us to snag one.

No thanks.

Let's be honest. No matter what moves we make in FA, or in the draft, we're not ending up with a defense to rival the 49ers, Seahawks or even Panthers. And neither will the Donkeys or any other NFL team.

So....why not overload on offense? At least it will be fun to watch.

That's basically my point.

the pats can improve with sloppy FA seconds

anthony spencer
tony mcdaniel
mike neal
wesley woodyard
walter thurmond
major wright

and attack when the value is down on the other side:
golden tate
hakeem nicks
scott chandler

Let's be honest. No matter what moves we make in FA, or in the draft, we're not ending up with a defense to rival the 49ers, Seahawks or even Panthers.

Why do you say that?

I think Seattle is out of reach. But let's look at the other 2 teams you mention:

1. San Francisco. Justin Smith will be 35 and Ray McDonald 30 in September. Their best defensive player (Navorro Bowman) is coming off a horrible ACL injury suffered in late January in the NFCCG. They've lost both their starting safeties in the past 2 off seasons, they've cut their top CB (Carlos Rodgers). Aldon Smith is talented, but has off-field questions. I'm not convinced that this defense is going to stay at an elite level.

2. Carolina. They have no secondary at all. Our secondary sans Talib looks like Seattle's in comparison.

The Pats have some major holes to address on defense, but they also have a very talented nucleus. With the right moves, I think they could easily be at the SF-Carolina level.

Why do you say that?

I think Seattle is out of reach. But let's look at the other 2 teams you mention:

1. San Francisco. Justin Smith will be 35 and Ray McDonald 30 in September. Their best defensive player (Navorro Bowman) is coming off a horrible ACL injury suffered in late January in the NFCCG. They've lost both their starting safeties in the past 2 off seasons, they've cut their top CB (Carlos Rodgers). Aldon Smith is talented, but has off-field questions. I'm not convinced that this defense is going to stay at an elite level.

2. Carolina. They have no secondary at all. Our secondary sans Talib looks like Seattle's in comparison.

The Pats have some major holes to address on defense, but they also have a very talented nucleus. With the right moves, I think they could easily be at the SF-Carolina level.

I wouldn't say easily, but I do think that Carolina-level is attainable, pending health more than anything. There is still a move that needs to be made at corner, but assuming that that gets done, then what we're really banking on is that DT gets address in the draft or FA, another pass rusher gets added probably in FA, and that Collins and Harmon can step into starting roles.

Is it likely that that will all fall into place? No, but it is certainly possible. And if they go out and sign Brandon Browner, Jason Hatcher, Matt Shaughnessy and Wesley Woodyard, then that'll be a pretty good start.

I'd also say that I have a higher opinion of San Fran's safeties than you seem to. Reid is really good, and Whitner was awful in coverage. No matter who they sign to replace him, they'll likely see an improvement in coverage and a decline in run stopping.

I wouldn't say easily, but I do think that Carolina-level is attainable, pending health more than anything. There is still a move that needs to be made at corner, but assuming that that gets done, then what we're really banking on is that DT gets address in the draft or FA, another pass rusher gets added probably in FA, and that Collins and Harmon can step into starting roles.

Is it likely that that will all fall into place? No, but it is certainly possible. And if they go out and sign Brandon Browner, Jason Hatcher, Matt Shaughnessy and Wesley Woodyard, then that'll be a pretty good start.

I'd also say that I have a higher opinion of San Fran's safeties than you seem to. Reid is really good, and Whitner was awful in coverage. No matter who they sign to replace him, they'll likely see an improvement in coverage and a decline in run stopping.

So hypothetically, if the Pats sign Darrell Revis, trade up for Aaron Donald, get the injur ed x guys back, and add a few role players if the draft or FA, you don't think we'd be at the SF/Carolina level?

Why do you say that?

Mike Mitchell was very solid for them last year, and more upside compared to who we have right now on our roster, but aside that, who's our Luke Kuechly?

Carolina's stout enough on defense that they were able to trade guys like Jon Beason to the Giants last season who just signed a new deal.

We have a long way to go, and it's not our secondary that concerns me. Seattle stopped Manning with their pass rush. We have no pass rush, even though I keep telling myself that's by design...

So if we are going to keep our pass-prevent D the same, then we would have needed to keep Talib AND signed Revis to stop a team like the Donkeys in the post-season.

So hypothetically, if the Pats sign Darrell Revis, trade up for Aaron Donald, get the injur ed x guys back, and add a few role players if the draft or FA, you don't think we'd be at the SF/Carolina level?

Revis signed for 2014. Anyone still think we don't have a chance at a top 4 defense?

- Ninkovich and Jones at DE
- Mayo, Hightower and Collins at LB
- Revis being able to match up with any receiver in the league, and making the field smaller
- Devin McCourty at FS with as much range as anyone in the NFL

If DT, SS and a rotational DE can be addressed, this defense should be able to match up with anyone.

Mike Mitchell was very solid for them last year, and more upside compared to who we have right now on our roster.

Mike Mitchell is a Pittsburgh Steeler as of yesterday. Carolina's entire secondary is free agents, and with limited cap space they don't have a lot of options, or depth.

Revis signed for 2014. Anyone still think we don't have a chance at a top 4 defense?

- Ninkovich and Jones at DE
- Mayo, Hightower and Collins at LB
- Revis being able to match up with any receiver in the league, and making the field smaller
- Devin McCourty at FS with as much range as anyone in the NFL

If DT, SS and a rotational DE can be addressed, this defense should be able to match up with anyone.

Ryan Clark is a free agent, he's kinda a turd but could be a decent backup. Would be nice to have a hard hitter.

Let's be honest. No matter what moves we make in FA, or in the draft, we're not ending up with a defense to rival the 49ers, Seahawks or even Panthers.

Really?

:bricks:

I don't think they have the pass rush yet. But they get one good DE and they'll be right there.

The opposing D's mantra has been for a while was to keep Brady off the field, with a vastly improved Defense, Brady will spend more time on the field.

Even last year with minimal TE production, we did very well... suspect this year that Pats will go for one in the draft and look at a few others..

If we revert to the amount of TD's that our TE's got in 2012, this offense should be fine...

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back