PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Everett has movement in limbs; Dr. thinks he'll walk [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everett has movement in limbs; Dr. thinks he'll walk

Finally a good story!!! Espn.com is reporting that Everett's doctors think he may walk and that he currently has movement in his limbs.

Great news!!!!!

Re: Everett has movement in limbs; dr. thinks he'll walk

Football fans everywhere should take a knee and give thanks!

Re: Everett has movement in limbs; Dr. thinks he'll walk

Outstanding news!!

Re: Everett has movement in limbs; dr. thinks he'll walk

Heard this as well,what a great change in events!!

http://www.wivb.com/global/story.asp?s=7059077

Video On Demand

Update: Kevin Everett's Medical Condition

More News more>>

Niagara Falls Mother Confesses to Killing Her Son

Update: Kevin Everett's Medical Condition

(Buffalo, NY, September 11, 2007) - - We have some breaking news about the condition of bills tight end Kevin Everett. Doctor Peter Ostrow reports with some hopeful news.

I spoke with Dr. Andy Cappuccino, one of his surgeons, Tuesday, and he was much more optimistic than yesterday. He said Kevin Everett is able to move his arms and legs, a great advance since yesterday.

All of us who saw the injury during the football game and heard the early reports feared the worst, but many things went right for Kevin Everett. The Bills' training staff practices for situations just like this and they were ready. Dr. John Marzo led the drill, and trainer Bud Carpenter immobilized Kevin's head.

As soon as they put him inthe ambulance, treatment began. He was given steroids as the ambulance went through the tunnell, and two IV's were inserted so he could be given a treatment that would lower his body temperature. Within an hour of the time thay reached Millard Fillmore Gates, he had a CT Scan and an MRI Scan, and within an hour and a half, Dr. Cappuccino and Dr. Kevin Gibbons began surgery and it went very well.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, Othopedic Surgeon, "The spinal cord was completely decompressed, and the spine was fixated from the back with four screws and two small rods. At that point in time, an intraoperative ultrasound or doppler study was performed to evaluate the cord, the covering of the cord and the cord itself were completely intact, and actually looked good."

The doctors were reluctant to give an optimistic prognosis, but there were some early hopeful signs.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, Othopedic Surgeon, "This examination, about 6 hours after surgery did show voluntary movement of his legs in his adductors, the muscles that ppull his legs together, and his plantarflexors the muscles that push his feet down."

And Kevin himself, in a message to his mother, gave the most optimistic prediction.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino, Othopedic Surgeon, "He told her that he was going to get better and he didn't want her to worry."

And Tuesday, Dr Cappuccino says, "We may be wittnessing a minor miracle." He said that because, today, Kevin Everett was able to voluntarily move his arms and legs, a marked improvement over yesterday. He also noted that the MRI scan taken after the surgery showed only a small amount of swelling in the cord. Those are both good signs.

[Q] You said they lowered his body temperature. What did that do?

[A] Its one of the things that prevents the cord from swelling, along with the steroids. The treatment protocol was designed by Dr. Barth Green in Miami, who happens to be a personal friend of Ralph Wilson.

SWEEEEEEEET!! Keep fighting kid!!

Pray to whatever God/gods/goddesses you believe in that this kid can make it. This story has had me down all week. This is great news.

Great News! Hope that he can find a good life outside of football.

This is awesome news. Just last night, it was being reported that he would most likely never walk again. Unbelievable turn around, and I hope he continues to improve. Thoughts are with he, his family, and the Bills organization and community.

This is the best news I've heard all week!
Keep fighting!

Rich

Thank God, please...continued progress.

Now back to the silliness.

now this is a good story! Good luck Kevin!

God Bless

continued Prayers for Him and his family

That's great news.
Have you seen the hit.
Cmon!

He needs to work on his tackling!

Hes a TE though

Wow. I have chills. It puts the rest of the news in perspective.

The chilled saline is interesting. Thank goodness he was able to get the best care. I hope what they have learned from the timely intervention in this case can be applied to cases across the country.

I'm so relieved for all involved. It will still be a hard road, but it looks like there is room for huge hope. Happy stuff in the end :)

That is so encouraging.
I just hope the man can lead a normal life.

Can't wait to see this guy walk onto the field to get the standing ovation he will deserve after months of PT.

Anyone who thinks professional athletes work hard hasn't met anyone working their way back from a traumatic injury.

Terrific!
I must say I am somewhat disappointed that in 2007 we have yet to be able to regenerate neural connections. Let's get the lead out, researchers!

This is great news.

What matters is the cord, the whole cord and nothing but the cord. If the cord is not too badly damaged there seem to be ways that the brain can compensate (like we can correct for eyesight problems) so you see improvements over time, but if it is more fundamental, well ...

The important thing is to get the spine stabilized as soon as possible so there is no risk of damage after the original accident. Whatever happens after that -- a lifetime of pain, most likely -- is trivial compared with what might have been.

It's a little bit of a mystery to me why the doctor was so pessimistic after the original operation. Unless you had seen something bad during the operation, I would have thought you would have said "we don't know, we'll have to wait and see until Kevin is conscious".

But I'm taking this news for what it is -- something to be very happy about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back