Welcome to PatsFans.com

Evangelism at Highest Levels of US Military

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Aug 4, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Bush's quest to merge church and state, exhibit 21B, subsection III

how much you wanna bet these "long-standing regulations" get wiped right off the pages?...

Video, Report Details Evangelism at Highest Levels of US Military

By Jason Leopold
    t r u t h o u t | Report

Friday 03 August 2007

A report released publicly on Thursday by the Defense Department's (DOD) inspector general has found high-ranking Army and Air Force personnel violated long-standing military regulations when they participated in a promotional video for an evangelical Christian organization while in uniform and on active duty.

The inspector general launched an investigation last year after receiving a letter from Mikey Weinstein, the founder of the Military Religious Freedom Foundation, a nonprofit government watchdog group that aims to enforce the separation of church and state within the US military. Weinstein's group discovered the video on the Christian Embassy web site. Weinstein drafted a letter to the inspector general alleging misconduct by the officers, citing the military's strict policy that prohibits military personnel from appearing in uniform and participating in "speeches, interviews, picket lines, marches, rallies or any public demonstration ... which may imply Service sanction of the cause for which the demonstration or activity is conducted."

Weinstein said the military brass who participated in the video "were clearly identified by their positions within the Defense Department, however, the video did not include any disclaimers indicating that the views expressed were not those of the Defense of Department."

The former White House attorney under Ronald Reagan, and the author of the book "With God On Our Side: One Man's War Against an Evangelical Coup in America's Military", said he is still "dissecting" the inspector general's report, but "clearly this is a gigantic victory for our foundation."

"The report confirms the total destruction of the Constitutionally-mandated wall separating supernatural and natural, metaphysical and physical, spiritual and temporal, church and state at the highest levels of the technologically most lethal organization ever created by humankind; our honorable and noble United States military," Weinstein said in an interview. "The embarrassingly pedestrian excuses feebly offered by senior US Army and US Air Force generals and other senior officers are pathetic and not worthy of those that might have been offered by a first-grader. The fact that these senior Pentagon officials control our country's nuclear arsenal should shake the very foundation of the American public's trust in our country's current leadership."

Weinstein said perhaps the most egregious aspect of the inspector general's report is the findings that non-military personnel were given "badges" to roam freely throughout the Pentagon calling it a "shocking national security breach of the highest order." He called for Congressional oversight hearings into the matter.

"The rise of evangelical Christianity inside the military went on steroids after 9/11 under this administration and this White House," Weinstein said in an interview. "This administration has turned the entire Department of Defense into its own personal faith-based initiative. "
    In the video, which is posted on militaryreligiousfreedom.org, Major General Catton talks about how his faith in God and the Christian Embassy helped him land a powerful position as a "director on the joint staff."

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +213 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

That link didn't work for me. Anyway, If there was a violation then they should be punished. Of course you've traced it straight to Bush. No other president in the history of the united states ever publically attributed anything to God, right?. Fret not PC you'll see democrats doing back flips to get the reiligious vote soon. Videos will be on weekly of Hillary in church. The differnce is I think that Regan and Bush have actual religious faith(Bush does take it too far) but there has been and you'll soon see a lot more of phony faith soon for political purposes. How about some separation of church and campaigning? By the way. for such a right wing biased press you sure do seem to never have any trouble finding articles supporting your views.

3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

nor you and your allies their own articles supporting theirs...

regardless, there's plenty of independent media out there... ones that don't answer to corporate sponsorship.... it's really a very simple concept...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

One constant on this board, that we all seem to agree on, is that extremism, whether it be religious or nationalistic can be very dangerous..

5. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was flipping through the channels when I saw people in uniform using their name and rank on the Church Channel. I was surprised that someone would do that and that it would go on in the first place. Some people don't seem to understand that when you are in uniform you cannot do certain things.

I don't know if it's some kind of huge wave of change like the article makes it out to be, I haven't seen that. I know that the military always has and continues to be sensitive to everyone beliefs and places great responsibility on leaders to ensure that every servicemember can follow their faith within the limitations of duty.

We have it pounded into our head that the actions stated, appearing in a promotional church video, and the like are not allowed. I don't think it's a problem saying he has become what he has because of faith, but including this organizations name and such makes it a no-no. The General et al are going to fight this on the basis that the regulation stated pertains specifically to political things. I'm not saying I agree with it, I'm just telling you the out. The policy stated is taken out of context, but I can see how the person thinks it applies.

6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

Praise Allah

7. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

OH NO!!!!!!!! We are doomed!!!!! Christians running amok in the military!!!!!!!

8. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

Reverand Sharpton
    Reverand Jackson
    :singing: :singing:

9. Fogbuster

Fogbuster Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Although I subscribe that God hates war, God also does not want evil to dominate the world any more. Sometimes the lesser of two evils must be chosen. Think long term.

//

10. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

Did Father Moon, say this or is this another warm and fuzzy revelation?.. not sure if this situational ethics makes any sense.. God hates war, but it is ok if it is an evil thing. How come this did not occur in Darfur, Rwanda and the rest of the evil places of the world? With your line of thinking we will be at war for the next zillion years, not sure it is the mandate of our gov't to fight all the evils.

11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +357 / 6 / -4

#91 Jersey

I was sitting in my car at a red light the other day.It had rained,there was an oil slick, all of a sudden the Almighties face appeared in the oil slick.Then He spoke to me as I looked on in amazment. "I'm staying out of the buisness of war,and sports he said. I'm tired of always being the first conscript,I'm going to sit back and leave you to your own devices" I noded still in amazment at what had just occured. Then I thought wow what a concept,except I wish he'd tell that to all the people that like to use him as a reason to start a war. Or say he's on our side no matter what that side is. I got the impression that HE wanted to see what we'ed do on our own,wheather our decisions were good or evil. Then I relized someone was honking their horn cause the light had turned green. I started to give the fi....and thought thats not what HE would do.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  12. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

The liberal democrats don't want God in anything, nothing, some of them don't even want him in Church, Pant Suit still has the little Bible that Blue Dress used to carry around for the camera's and if she ever becomes president you can bet your a$s she will be "flashing" it for the camera's also.

The democrats don't like God but if a Muslim ever became President the Democrats would be putting sinks up all over Washington for him to Wash His Feet in.

Note To Liberal Democrats:

Dear Democrats
    In the future please treat Allah just as you treat God and his son Jesus, the Capital Police, The FBI, The CIA and George Bush will protect you from having your Head Cut Off.
    :bricks:

13. bmf31c

bmf31c Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

There was a follow up to this in todays Stars and Stripes that was a reprint from the Washington Post. The IG has filed a 47 page report on the wrong doing. I can't find a link to the article but it's in todays Europe edition of S&S.

14. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +716 / 20 / -30

I remember reading something about religious extremism trying to take hold at the Air Force Academy, and that this was a high value there. Although this occured in '05, this task force must have produced something.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/03/airforce.religion/

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The U.S. Air Force said Tuesday it will appoint a task force to investigate allegations of religious intolerance at the Air Force Academy.

Among the items to be reviewed will be Air Force policy and guidance concerning religious respect and tolerance at the academy, said acting Secretary of the Air Force Michael Dominguez.

Some 55 complaints of religious discrimination have been filed going back to 2001, prompting school officials to require that all 9,000 cadets and faculty and staff members take a 50-minute course on religious sensitivity, academy officials said.

In addition, a report last week by a Washington-based religious liberty group accused cadets and staff members of creating a climate that discriminated against non-Christians at the academy in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"We have concluded that both the specific violations and the promotion of a culture of official religious intolerance are pervasive, systematic and evident at the very highest levels of the academy's command structure," said the report from Americans United for Separation of Church and State.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/22/AR2005062200598_pf.html
    military study of the religious climate at the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs found several examples of religious intolerance, insensitivity and inappropriate proselytizing on the part of Air Force officers and cadets, but a report issued yesterday at the Pentagon concluded that the school is not overtly discriminatory and has made improvements in recent months.

Air Force Lt. Gen. Roger A. Brady announced that his 16-member review team found a "perception of religious bias" in more than 300 interviews with cadets representing all faiths and with faculty members and administrators. Brady also found that there was a failure at the academy "to fully accommodate all members' needs and a lack of awareness over where the line is drawn between permissible and impermissible expression of beliefs."

Brady told reporters at an afternoon news conference at the Pentagon that there did not appear to be a systemic problem, but he cited examples in which professors used their lecterns to promote specific religious activities to their cadets, calling the professors "well intended, but wrong." He said some personnel were concerned about the impact of religious affiliation on their careers and some cadets expressed objections to what they perceived to be mandatory prayers at official functions and in locker rooms.

"Additionally, some faculty members and coaches consider it their duty to profess their faith and discuss this issue in their classrooms in furtherance of developing cadets' spirituality," according to the 40-page document

15. Lifer

Lifer Banned

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0

"Brady told reporters at an afternoon news conference at the Pentagon that there did not appear to be a systemic problem, but he cited examples in which professors used their lecterns to promote specific religious activities to their cadets, calling the professors "well intended, but wrong."

They just announced there is a church yard sale going on Saturday morning at Sacred Heart! They cant force their beliefs down my throat!!!!!!!!!

16. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +992 / 2 / -9

I hope they pass a law to make those Middle Eastern looking men stop putting their little rugs on the floor and Praying in airports, that scares people.
    :bricks: