PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Evander "Ziggy" Hood to visit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seneschal2

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Patriots schedule Missouri DL Hood for a visit - The Boston Globe

...the Patriots are devoting one of their 30 allotted predraft visits at Gillette Stadium to bring in University of Missouri defensive lineman Evander "Ziggy" Hood, according to league sources.

"He's a real aggressive player, really good at penetration and getting off the ball," said Craig Kuligowski, Missouri's defensive line coach. "He's a talented kid and a really good person, graduating here in 3 1/2 years. He's just been a real hard-working, never-a-problem type of guy."

Kuligowski said Patriots defensive coordinator Dean Pees was present at Missouri's Pro Day, when Hood performed in front of NFL coaches and scouts.
---
cbssports.com profile

draftcountdown.com profile

That's a little bit of a twist, and a bit unexpected for me. I presume they would be looking at whether he could play 3-4 DE. Maybe it will rattle Indy a bit, since he's one of their prime targets for DT, which they desperately need.

For certain, he'd be a DE candidate rather than an inside player. I see him as a late first, which puts him in the ballpark as our first pick. If the Pats are seriously looking to address the DE position, than Tyson Jackson, Hood, and Gilbert are the early options -- with Gilbert being my preference.

Last edited:
I saw a reasonable site take him for us in their mock and I thought they were nuts. He's definitely shorter than we're used to for a DE.

He seems like a good fit, but I don't see the Pats taking 5 DEs into the season.

He seems like a good fit, but I don't see the Pats taking 5 DEs into the season.
I never saw him as a fit as he lacks the bulk to play NT and the length we're used to at DE - at 6'3" (more like 6'2.5") he's 2+ inches shorter than Warren and Seymour. Although Green is 6'3" and Hood has 15 pounds on him so maybe I'm too caught up in a couple of inches.

I think he'd be considered at #34 if we don't pick Tyson Jackson earlier. And if he's still on the board at #47, I think he's a no-brainer.

The Pats could easily take 5 DEs into the season, but they could also cut LeKevin.

Pat's surprised some people the year they took Ty Warren. Hood is similar in the fact that he could move from dt to de in a 3/4. He can take the edge away from the running game and also generate a pass rush. Of all of the defensive linemen - Hood has the best combination of Speed,power, and energy. Hood would bring value at 23-over Barwin and most others that are mentioned. Pat's need to begin retooling front 7 with youth for future. Say Hood at 23, then Barwin, or English at 34. Get a safety at 47, add an o-lineman at 58. Pat's would be improved.

Pat's surprised some people the year they took Ty Warren. Hood is similar in the fact that he could move from dt to de in a 3/4. He can take the edge away from the running game and also generate a pass rush. Of all of the defensive linemen - Hood has the best combination of Speed,power, and energy.

I love Hood's skill set and his attitude. But Ty Warren is 6'5". I haven't been focusing on Hood simply because he doesn't have the length you look for in a Pats DE, making him not quite a 1st-round value to me -- and I assume he'll never make it past the Colts at 27.

Pat's need to begin retooling front 7 with youth for future.
"'Need' to begin retooling front 7 with 'youth?'" Jarvis is the only DL who is 30, Seymour joins him in October, neither has hit any age wall and could reasonably be effective another 4-5 years. Granted draft picks would be more cost effective, but "need" is a bit strong at this point.

I never saw him as a fit as he lacks the bulk to play NT and the length we're used to at DE - at 6'3" (more like 6'2.5") he's 2+ inches shorter than Warren and Seymour. Although Green is 6'3" and Hood has 15 pounds on him so maybe I'm too caught up in a couple of inches.

I don't think you can underestimate the value of a couple of inches. You can interpret that however you like. :D

I don't think you can underestimate the value of a couple of inches. You can interpret that however you like. :D

:( Ya know some day it's gonna be the women who get ridiculed for being too loose :p I just pray to be alive when it happens! :singing:

"'Need' to begin retooling front 7 with 'youth?'" Jarvis is the only DL who is 30, Seymour joins him in October, neither has hit any age wall and could reasonably be effective another 4-5 years. Granted draft picks would be more cost effective, but "need" is a bit strong at this point.

I am not concerned about the age of a player but some depth is needed across the front seven.

Basically 3 of the top 5 D Line are free agents after the season.

30 or over club
- Thomas, Bruschi, Green

Free Agents after 2009
- Seymour (Pro Bowl), Wlifork (Pro Bowl), Green, Woods, Bruschi, TBC, Smith(will be an RFA), Alexander (who cares)

you have to get young at some point. I think DE is a position where we definitely could use youth. And if there's one thing we have all seen through the years, is the front office has been spot on with its' first round DL selections. Id rather be 95% confident we get a great player at the position than 40-50% confident we get a good player at another position.

I am not concerned about the age of a player but some depth is needed across the front seven.

Basically 3 of the top 5 D Line are free agents after the season.

30 or over club
- Thomas, Bruschi, Green

Free Agents after 2009
- Seymour (Pro Bowl), Wlifork (Pro Bowl), Green, Woods, Bruschi, TBC, Smith(will be an RFA), Alexander (who cares)
Woods is also RFA.

you have to get young at some point. I think DE is a position where we definitely could use youth. And if there's one thing we have all seen through the years, is the front office has been spot on with its' first round DL selections. Id rather be 95% confident we get a great player at the position than 40-50% confident we get a good player at another position.
The DL is currently in it's prime, young and experienced at the same time. That lowers the "need" aspect of drafting a DL. The contract situation for Seymour, Wilfork, and Green, with Smith's RFA/UFA status, raises "need" somewhat, but not critically so. Another factor to consider is the projected strength of the 3-4 DL pool in the next draft class, while I wouldn't hang my hat on it, it's a consideration when deciding whom to draft, or when to take a trade offer this year.

When it's all said and done, I'm willing to draft a Day One DL on a Best Value basis and try to find another Mike Wright/LeKevin Smith in the late rounds to develop for depth. There truly is not a "need" for "youth" as much as there is always good value in developing depth and talent.

Last edited:

What the hell are you talking about. We don't have a single defensive lineman who has reached his 30th birthday yet...

Not anymore he signed a two year contract.
Are you sure you aren't confusing the 2nd round tender ? There's no reference to this extension "on Google" or on Miguel's page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes