PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Evaluations of Vernon Gholston? Links?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i like him too but his motor has been questioned and whether it was the toe or not that affected his senior year remains to be proven. Hopefully it was the injury that held him back because i think he can be a special player. Probably not a first rounder until combine.

His sack numbers went down, but he still recorded 26 QB hurries. So the toes effected his speed a little, but he was still putting a lot of pressure on QB's with those injured toes.

His sack numbers went down, but he still recorded 26 QB hurries. So the toes effected his speed a little, but he was still putting a lot of pressure on QB's with those injured toes.

keep im mind that he looked completely lost as a LB though. They switched him to hopefully make a better overall lineup but everything i've read is he was lost at LB and looked pretty bad. Most of those pressures were first 4 games or whatever but as a DE. I know they dont run a 3-4 really but the LB comments i've read kind of scare me..although its a learning experience and can only get better with time and practice

keep im mind that he looked completely lost as a LB though. They switched him to hopefully make a better overall lineup but everything i've read is he was lost at LB and looked pretty bad. Most of those pressures were first 4 games or whatever but as a DE. I know they dont run a 3-4 really but the LB comments i've read kind of scare me..although its a learning experience and can only get better with time and practice

I see a lot of SEC ball every year and he may end up being a diamond-in-the-rough-type player (once he develops). He won't last till our R2 pick (but there's ways around that). His LB ability may never match his edge rush skills, but as long as he's not a liability vs the run or in coverage...he'd be worth the gamble. Overall, he'll need to possess the smarts and intangibles for BB to even consider him.

Laurinaitis doesn't fit NE's system, and I doubt the Patriots would have selected him...

Why wouldn't he, or Paul Posluszny, fit NE's system?

After what we witnessed during the 4th quarter, perhaps it's NE's system that doesn't fit.

Why wouldn't he, or Paul Posluszny, fit NE's system?

After what we witnessed during the 4th quarter, perhaps it's NE's system that doesn't fit.

if we switch systems, fine but Laurinaitis simply doesnt shed blockers. very evident in championship game. yes the OSU tackles were terrible that game but once he got engaged, he was done and even though he like 12 tackles, all were far downfield.

and imo..James doesnt look aggressive an LB, not sure if its me but i want to see attitude, emotions and flying to ball

I'll say this for him at least: He passes the eyeball test. The guy LOOKS like a stud. I know that doesn't seem that important, but NFL scouts love looking at guys in just their underwear.

That said, he seems to me like exactly the sort of guy that the Jets are going to take a LONG look at right in front of us. I think Mangini is going to wise up and stop trying to fit 4-3 LBs into a 4-3, and if they do trade Vilma than I would not be shocked at all if they picked Gholston.

If they don't, I wouldn't complain at all if we did, though I still feel corner is a bigger need (after a trade down, probably)

From what I've seen of him:

Fast, strong, above average outside rush, doesn't adjust to the ball carrier very well in open space and Raw with a capital R. Could just be a lack of good coaching and experience since he didn't start playing until his second year of high school.

How much would it take to move in front of the Jets...I can only imagine that if the Pats really liked someone that they thought the Jets would take, that they would try to move ahead of them.

How much would it take to move in front of the Jets...I can only imagine that if the Pats really liked someone that they thought the Jets would take, that they would try to move ahead of them.

Probably more than its worth. Sure, we play similar defensive systems so that could be a concern, but there's enough depth in this draft and we have enough needs areas where I don't think it's a concern. Sure, if we both had the same one need and there was one surefire stud at that position, maybe you bite the bullet, but that's not the case. I think we can safely not worry about what the Jets do, even if they take Gholston at #6 I think it's a bit of a reach, as he's still raw.

I'll say this for him at least: He passes the eyeball test. The guy LOOKS like a stud. I know that doesn't seem that important, but NFL scouts love looking at guys in just their underwear.

That said, he seems to me like exactly the sort of guy that the Jets are going to take a LONG look at right in front of us. I think Mangini is going to wise up and stop trying to fit 4-3 LBs into a 4-3, and if they do trade Vilma than I would not be shocked at all if they picked Gholston.

If they don't, I wouldn't complain at all if we did, though I still feel corner is a bigger need (after a trade down, probably)

if mangini learned anything Bill, he should show it on draft day. Build from the DL.

Vilma wouldnt be that bad if they had big bodies who can play well in front of him..same with other LBs

think Vrabel, Bruschi, Colvin are just that talented? no..our front 3 opens a lot up for them.

Jets should get Ellis as a 3-4 NT imo

There is no way we have to leap frog the Jets to get Gholston.
1.Matt Ryan
2.Sedrick Ellis
3.Jake Long
4.Chris Long
5.Darren Mcfadden
6.Glen Dorsey

If the Jets were to pass on any 6 of those guys I'd be shocked. If the Jets selected Gholston and you told me one of these 6 guys would be available, I would be ecstatic.

Believe me, if they want him they will get him.

There is no way we have to leap frog the Jets to get Gholston.
1.Matt Ryan
2.Sedrick Ellis
3.Jake Long
4.Chris Long
5.Darren Mcfadden
6.Glen Dorsey

If the Jets were to pass on any 6 of those guys I'd be shocked. If the Jets selected Gholston and you told me one of these 6 guys would be available, I would be ecstatic.

Believe me, if they want him they will get him.

I'm not sure the Jets wouldn't be convinced they're "set" at both QB and RB. I don't personally believe that's true, but I could see them passing on either guy to take defense. Although in that case, they'd be just as likely to trade the pick as we would, you'd think.

Gholston's personality reminds me of another DL guy from Michigan State a couple of years ago - Demetrius Underwod.

I still think we should slide down in the draft, pick up some extra pick(s) and take Groves.

Gholston's personality reminds me of another DL guy from Michigan State a couple of years ago - Demetrius Underwod.

I still think we should slide down in the draft, pick up some extra pick(s) and take Groves.

Yerp!

ten char

Is he good in covering, or is he a pure pass-rusher?

Gholston would amke alot of sense for the first rounder but I would pay attention to the combine numbers of Phillip Merling out of Clemson. Not sure if he can play 3-4 OLB but if his numbers look good speed wise and if the coaches believe he can do it I think he would be better than Gholston. Gholston to me is a one trick pony. His instincts arent the best but he's a physical beast who can rush the passer. Cornerbacks are probably the other option. Should have the top CB in the draft still on the board at 7

A couple of things:

First if the Jets take Gholston, then there's a great chance that we have a shot at McFadden. The Fins will pass on him, so will St. Louis. I think the Falcons will take a QB and Raiders are going to take O-line. That leaves KC who won't take a RB. If NY takes Gholston, we get McFadden. I know we have Maroney, but what a sick tandem.
I also think we would get a crack at a top CB but a crack at THE top CB.
I personally think that in these two scenarios, plus the idea of getting Gholston, or trading down for more 1st day picks, we're in a great position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back