Votes: 21 24.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
How long can we count on him as a starter?

i know there is a poll coming soon, but its not there yet...

so...

i think, depending on how many rookies we get, and how many pan out of this draft thats coming, that bruschi wont be back if a good number show promise, and that b/c we have more OLB's right now then ILB's, that vrabel will move inside for a year, and then call it quits

this way he will start next to Myao, with guyton spelling them

but to answer ur question, next year will be vrabel's last yr

Vrabel is clearly getting older, and his physical abilities are not what they once were. I think ideally, we would have somebody on our roster ready to replace him or bring somebody in to do that. If I were running the team, my #1 and #2 priorities would be drafting an OLB to replace Vrabel on the outside and drafting either a Safety or OL. However, as we know, and thankfully, the patriots do not like reaching, so if there is not a quality player available when we draft, we will most likely prioritize elsewhere. I do think though, that there will be an OLB worth taking where we draft. If that is the case, it woud be ideal if that player replaced Vrabel. That being said, Vrabel might then become our 2nd best MLB, so he could still start.

It's hard to predict whats going to happen, but I think either way Vrabel is a part of our team, but he will have to take a pay cut I think.

Vrabel played nearly every down and was the signal caller so expect to see him for 2 yr atleast. His replacement is not in the roster so even we get a guy as with every DE/OLB it will take 2 yrs to come to vrabel`s level and 1 more to be a starter.

I think the day has arrived to try to reduce his role from an every down player to more of a rotational guy not unlike what Bruschi did this year.

He hasn't been the same player for the past year and a half. He's a step slower. In past year's where he made the big play, now he seems to not quite get where he needs to get to make it.

I have no doubt injuries are a factor in that but I don't think that injuries are unexpected for a guy his age who has played as many snaps as he has over the past 8 years - in a lot of those games he played every single defensive play.

The defense really lacked guys at LB/DB (the back 8 if you will) who made plays this year. The guys who made too many to count over the years (Vrabel, Bruschi, Rodney) just aren't that type of player any more. That doesn't mean they can't play a role but the time has come for the Pats find guys to take their spots.

Last edited:
Vrbel was solid this year but not dominating. I would like to see him start next year but also give some time to another guy as well, with that trend continuing into 2010

Year to year. Let's let him get healed up and see how things look in training Camp.

I presume that we have 4 OLB roster spots and 3 ILB spots, and 1 spot for a developmental LB.

I expect that we will tender Woods high enough to keep him for 2009 while we see what we have in Crable and perhaps Redd or Robertson. So, my 4 OLB's are Vrabel, Thomas, Woods and Crable.

My 3 ILB's are Mayo, Guyton and Bruschi. We are not cutting Bruschi in the last year of his contract. He is certainly valuable enough to be our #8 linebacker in 2009. He might be inactive every week (very unlikely), but someone needs to be inactive.

The bottom line is that there is room to add 1 linebacker if we think that Redd or Robertson won't cut it as our developmental LB. Personally, I expect Redd to make it as a special teamer (not at all clear) and would welcome drafting an ILB.

And I have little doubt that Vrabel will start in 2009 and 2010.

Last edited:
The only worry and problem with him playing inside is that the second year he did that (I think 2006 when Junior got hurt) he had to finish the season on the outside because it took too much of a toll on his back. Remember the Indy game.... Alexander had to start that game and Vrabel played the outside. (Banta Cain was on the bench and if you asked me Tully vs. Alexander I would have had Tully on the field so thats why I'm assuming it was the back problem.)

I say give him this season to prove if he is still a starter- see if this season was an injury year or just what he is now- the guy had an all pro season the year before so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

For this reason, hold onto Woods and keep working with Crable.

Last edited:
Option 3 for me. He's still very good setting the edge, but he's clearly lost a step with his pass rush.

How the heck crabel got a roster spot ...we might draft some one or pick a OLB who can out do him in training camp.

Vrabes is kind of an interesting question imo because it's so hard to know just how much our other needs affected his play. But he himself, we'll get a real good idea at TC (they've had a nice long,much-deserved rest-TC will be AWESOME to watch this year!).

Please present a list of 3rd round draft choices that the patriots have cut in their second training camp. Crable will be on the roster. There are those on this board who think we need to develop young linebackers.

How the heck crabel got a roster spot ...we might draft some one or pick a OLB who can out do him in training camp.

I presume that we have 4 OLB roster spots and 3 ILB spots, and 1 spot for a developmental LB.

I expect that we will tender Woods high enough to keep him for 2009 while we see what we have in Crable and perhaps Redd or Robertson. So, my 4 OLB's are Vrabel, Thomas, Woods and Crable.

My 3 ILB's are Mayo, Guyton and Bruschi. We are not cutting Bruschi in the last year of his contract. He is certainly valuable enough to be our #8 linebacker in 2009. He might be inactive every week (very unlikely), but someone needs to be inactive.

The bottom line is that there is room to add 1 linebacker if we think that Redd or Robertson won't cut it as our developmental LB. Personally, I expect Redd to make it as a special teamer (not at all clear) and would welcome drafting an ILB.

And I have little doubt that Vrabel will start in 2009 and 2010.

tahts great, but where do our developmental lb's go that we draft this yr? and u dont even mention Rudd, alexander or izzo

OLB: Vrabel, Thomas, Woods, Crable
ILB: Mayo, Guyton, Bruschi
DEV: draftee
STER: Redd or Izzo or Alexander
PRACTICE SQUAD: Ruud, Robertson, Craig

I am OK with NOT drafting a linebacker. The choice for me would depend on what the coaches think of Crable and Redd.

tahts great, but where do our developmental lb's go that we draft this yr? and u dont even mention Rudd, alexander or izzo

The only worry and problem with him playing inside is that the second year he did that (I think 2006 when Junior got hurt) he had to finish the season on the outside because it took too much of a toll on his back. Remember the Indy game.... Alexander had to start that game and Vrabel played the outside. (Banta Cain was on the bench and if you asked me Tully vs. Alexander I would have had Tully on the field so thats why I'm assuming it was the back problem.)

I say give him this season to prove if he is still a starter- see if this season was an injury year or just what he is now- the guy had an all pro season the year before so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

For this reason, hold onto Woods and keep working with Crable.

same thing i was thinking,
vrabel cant handle inside all season, so put him there for the beginning, while the rookie ILB (in ted johnson mold) learns, and have the rookie start 2nd hafl of season in place of vrabel, at whith time vrabel moves back outside as the 3rd man

Last edited:
The Patriots need to get younger and faster, particularly at LB and safety. Vrabel has a cap number of $4.4M (though I don't know how much of that is new money). His performance this year doesn't merit that kind of coin in 09. Scout and draft a couple of LBs and couple of DBs, coach them up, and get them out there. IMO, Bruschi, Vrabel and Harrison need to be replaced. Tedy may have another year left as a backup, or on speed dial. Time to move on.

Year to year. Let's let him get healed up and see how things look in training Camp.

I'll agree with this. It's always the way with guys getting towards the end, you just have to see how it goes whilst developing the likes of Crable.

Draft or acquire a monster pass rushing OLB. Move Vrabel inside.

I think he can either play with his back or not. I'm no expert. It would have been nice to ease into this transition (not just Vrabel) at least two years ago.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't know how any of us can evaluate him, assuming the rumors regarding a shoulder injury were true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back