Votes: 31 24.2%
  • a potential starter, but the need is still there

Votes: 57 44.5%
  • a very likely starter, with a lot to learn like everyone

Votes: 40 31.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
he kind of reminds me of cato june a little bit.

if he can get stronger over the never couple seasons i think we have a solid starter.

I think while Guyton doesn't fit the traditional ILB profile, his speed and length make him a nice component for BB to use for specific game plans. As he gets better in coverage he should be able to be an effective cover man against dangerous tight ends. I also haven't completely ruled him out at OLB yet, even Adalius had to learn the Pats defense from the inside out.

I still think a Ted Johnson-type ILB is a need to fit in along side Mayo. Bruchi's days at that spot are numbered...

dont we need to find another ILB in the mold of ted johnson?

The days of the run-stuffing Ted Johnson-type ILBs is over IMO. Given the predominance of the passing game in the NFL, starting ILBs need to be equally proficient in coverage as against the run. 230+lb ILBs are now commonplace in the NFL. Speed with moderate size is the prerequisite to play ILB.

Last edited:
The days of the run-stuffing Ted Johnson-type ILBs is over IMO. Given the predominance of the passing game in the NFL, starting ILBs need to be equally proficient in coverage as against the run. 230+lb ILBs are now commonplace in the NFL. Speed with moderate size is the prerequisite to play ILB.

I think you're on target here. The game is always evolving. Creating mis-matches is the goal of every OC. A massive lumbering "run stoppah" is not a usefull comodity with 3rd down backs, agile TEs and the multi-use weapons that today's pass happy O features. Instead we need quick thinking wide area covering LBs who ARE stout enough not to get run over. Remember, even CBs sometimes tackle RBs on sweeps. OK, sometimes they get carried off the field afterwards but...

Guyton is too small to be an every down linebacker in this team's system. I see him most likely to develop as a player who might one day be able to serve as a 3rd down linebacker, in the sense of being in on passing downs but still getting pulled on running downs.

Unfortunately, as we saw all too often this season, he's not even good enough to get the job done in pass coverage just yet. Hopefully, with a year under his belt and an offseason do work on technique and and body sculpting, he'll be able to make a real jump in year two. If not, he'd better start loving special teams.

I forget the game or team, but the one play that stood out to me was fade route run to a RB, that Guyton was slow on,, I was left wondering how this fast LB got outrun so badly.
Maybe it was a) not knowing where to be/ what to expect, or b) he can't turn very well.

I'm glad we got him though, he played alot as the season went on, it was a good year for him. And BB has had high praise for him. That works for me.

Guyton is too small to be an every down linebacker in this team's system. I see him most likely to develop as a player who might one day be able to serve as a 3rd down linebacker, in the sense of being in on passing downs but still getting pulled on running downs.

Unfortunately, as we saw all too often this season, he's not even good enough to get the job done in pass coverage just yet. Hopefully, with a year under his belt and an offseason do work on technique and and body sculpting, he'll be able to make a real jump in year two. If not, he'd better start loving special teams.

What?

Maybe he doesn't have adequate playing strength quite yet to be a three down guy, but not big enough?

So explain to me how 6'1 247 is a legend, 6'2 242 is the DROY, but 6'3 242 isn't big enough.....please.

I think Guyton is an okay player who will always be between starting and backing up. He's a value player in that he can play okay in our system for the price ... ie his value is more to the cap than to the field.

What?

Maybe he doesn't have adequate playing strength quite yet to be a three down guy, but not big enough?

So explain to me how 6'1 247 is a legend, 6'2 242 is the DROY, but 6'3 242 isn't big enough.....please.

6'1", 240 on one guy is often not the same as 6'1", 240 on another guy, because the body sculpture is not identical. Some will be thicker in the trunk with thinner extremities, while others may be very thin across the shoulders but have extra thickness in the legs. Such differences are obviously more to be seen when heights and weights aren't identical.

6'1", 240 on one guy is often not the same as 6'1", 240 on another guy, because the body sculpture is not identical. Some will be thicker in the trunk with thinner extremities, while others may be very thin across the shoulders but have extra thickness in the legs. Such differences are obviously more to be seen when heights and weights aren't identical.

Exactly.
Welker and I have the same specs but I am a buffed Godlike Adonis compared to that scrawney Girly Mon. OK, he has better hands.

Wow, so a difference is size is more obvious when one player is a different size than another player? Obvious is the correct word, there!

But no matter how you slice it, saying this 6'1", 240# guy is too small to be a LB and that 6'1" 240# guy is the perfect size does not make sense.

Nice try, though. Do you write for the Herald, by any chance?

Wow, so a difference is size is more obvious when one player is a different size than another player? Obvious is the correct word, there!

But no matter how you slice it, saying this 6'1", 240# guy is too small to be a LB and that 6'1" 240# guy is the perfect size does not make sense.

Nice try, though. Do you write for the Herald, by any chance?

What part of

Some will be thicker in the trunk with thinner extremities, while others may be very thin across the shoulders but have extra thickness in the legs. Such differences

escaped you?

Also, I didn't say that anyone at 6'1", 240 is perfect, so perhaps your reading skills could use improvement, since they seem to have failed you twice in a fairly short post. I merely used those measurements to make a point about the body's sculpture. However, as for why one person might be perfect at one height/weight and not another person with that same height/weight, anyone who's ever watched basketball could explain such obvious things as arm length, leg thickness, shoulder width and the like to you.

Last edited:
The Patriots allocate 9 lbs every year. With the dirth of talent the past few seasons, two were usually ST only players. No longer;now they will do both. But the Pats signed Izzo's heir apparent this past season and Aikens will take that job and move it to spare receiver. I never thought that Alexander was much, other than as fair ST only player. Frankly Woods is the best ST player we have, and has lead the ST in tackles every year hes been on the team, except perhaps someone caught up in the last few games when he was hurt.

Larry Izzo is probably done; as is Tedy. I would keep him around for his leadership but Vrabel, wearer of the green helmet, can provide all of that. So I would expect to keep five OLBs and up to four ILBs. We have two ILBs and a pair of OLBs in AD and Vrabes who can move inside. But I don't think Belichick wants to do so.

Mayo is a rising star. Period. Guyton has a lot s of tools except instincts perhaps. He is mediocre as an OLB but really shines as an ILB, and especially as a cover ILB. We need more young bodies at ILB. In this this rich ILB draft environment, we stock up with at least one or early. I expect the Pats to also pick up a DE/OLB candidate in late 2nd or early 3rd to add to the number of contestants there.:D

The Patriots allocate 9 lbs every year. With the dirth of talent the past few seasons, two were usually ST only players. No longer;now they will do both. But the Pats signed Izzo's heir apparent this past season and Aikens will take that job and move it to spare receiver. I never thought that Alexander was much, other than as fair ST only player. Frankly Woods is the best ST player we have, and has lead the ST in tackles every year hes been on the team, except perhaps someone caught up in the last few games when he was hurt.

Larry Izzo is probably done; as is Tedy. I would keep him around for his leadership but Vrabel, wearer of the green helmet, can provide all of that. So I would expect to keep five OLBs and up to four ILBs. We have two ILBs and a pair of OLBs in AD and Vrabes who can move inside. But I don't think Belichick wants to do so.

Mayo is a rising star. Period. Guyton has a lot s of tools except instincts perhaps. He is mediocre as an OLB but really shines as an ILB, and especially as a cover ILB. We need more young bodies at ILB. In this this rich ILB draft environment, we stock up with at least one or early. I expect the Pats to also pick up a DE/OLB candidate in late 2nd or early 3rd to add to the number of contestants there.:D

I think Guyton will be a good inside linebacker. It was too much to

expect that he would also be an acceptable outside linebacker. To

boot, he was also nicked up the last few games of the season with

an ankle injury. The 6th overall pick in the 2008 draft has been a

dismal failure at outside linebacker.

Last edited:
Love Guyton.

This guy made some eye opening plays this season. I remember him making lots of great reads and tackles at the line of scrimmage and when he blitzed, he was extremely competitive and found ways to be around the QB. Bill obviously loves the kid too because of the amount of plays he received. Even in the early part of the season, Guyton was out there on sub packages.

This kid's got a bright future and would not surprise me if he turns out to be just as good or maybe better than Mayo.

I agree and expect him to start.

Midway through the season I thought Guyton was on track to start at SILB this upcoming year. I posted as much multiple times. But I thought he had some struggles down the stretch before getting injured - granted, they were moving him around and trying him out at OLB - and I think its worth drafting competition for him as early as round 1 in Spikes. Even if Guyton pans out, they can still use all 3.

I love that Guyton can rush the passer though and they used him in that role. I'll echo BOR's excitement over the prospect of lining up 4 LBs who can rush or drop in coverage. Of course, that depends upon a healthy and productive Vrabel.

Last edited:
Midway through the season I thought Guyton was on track to start at SILB this upcoming year. I posted as much multiple times. But I thought he had some struggles down the stretch before getting injured - granted, they were moving him around and trying him out at OLB - and I think its worth drafting competition for him as early as round 1 in Spikes. Even if Guyton pans out, they can still use all 3.

I love that Guyton can rush the passer though and they used him in that role. I'll echo BOR's excitement over the prospect of lining up 4 LBs who can rush or drop in coverage. Of course, that depends upon a healthy and productive Vrabel.

guyton at SILB? interesting...

but mayo is the WILB...what are the differences now between the two...???

What part of

escaped you?

Also, I didn't say that anyone at 6'1", 240 is perfect, so perhaps your reading skills could use improvement, since they seem to have failed you twice in a fairly short post. I merely used those measurements to make a point about the body's sculpture. However, as for why one person might be perfect at one height/weight and not another person with that same height/weight, anyone who's ever watched basketball could explain such obvious things as arm length, leg thickness, shoulder width and the like to you.
Certainly players who are the same weight can have different body shapes, and players who have different heights can have different body shapes, but it's kind of hard to have the exact same height AND weight and have such different body shapes that one is an ideal ILB and one is too small to play the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back