Welcome to PatsFans.com

European Union Bans Claim that Water Can Cure Dehydration

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PatriotsReign, Nov 19, 2011.

1. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Are you frikkn' kidding me?!! Seriously, can any society REALLY state something THAT stupid?

Oh wait...the European Union almost banned "overly curved" banana's and cucumbers a while back until international ridicule put an end to that one.

I'll be happy when the EU collapses. They're too much like the United Nations in my opinion.

"Brussels bureaucrats were ridiculed yesterday after banning drink manufacturers from claiming that water can prevent dehydration.

EU officials concluded that, following a three-year investigation, there was no evidence to prove the previously undisputed fact.

Producers of bottled water are now forbidden by law from making the claim and will face a two-year jail sentence if they defy the edict, which comes into force in the UK next month."

EU bans claim that water can prevent dehydration - Telegraph

So....if water can't prevent dehydration, what can? :confused2:

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  2. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Mrs.PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Dehydration stems from many conditions - and drinking water isn't going to fix many of them.

I understand your point - but I also agree with the final sentence in your cited article:

“This claim is trying to imply that there is something special about bottled water which is not a reasonable claim.”

It's a pet peeve of mine when manufactured products make implied statements such as this. Truth is - plain old tap water, or any liquid for that matter, would work as well at hydration as bottled water.

It's also misleading in that, to someone stupid or someone who could not afford a doctor's care, they are mislead to believe that, if they are dehydrated for any reason, drinking water will cure it. It will not. Unless you remove the underlying condition the best it might do is keep you at your current level of dehydration. If you're puking, or you have diarrhea, if your blood sugar is wacked, if you're running a high fever - drinking water is not going to make any of those things go away. In fact, in the case of the first two - it's only going to make you puke and poop more - and you will puke and poop more than you took in - making the dehydration worse, not better.

It's also a dangerous claim insofar as infants are concerned. I've seen two babies die due to an overload of water. Infant electrolytes are very finely balanced - give them too much water, give them nothing but water, and they rapidly develop a condition called hyponatremia - and they die.

It might be a stupid law - but it is based in fact - and it may prevent deaths.

So, really, how stupid can it be?

3. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I think one would have to be a total idiot to believe water is the answer to dehydration when you are sick. If you're sick, you go to the doctor.

I understand your points and agree to some extent on a couple, but c'mon MrsP, this was/is a totally idiotic law. Sure tap water does what bottled wather does....but you have to put tap water into a bottle if you're on the move.

Stating that water or bottled water can "prevent" dehydration is absolutely true for those able to read it.

Otherwise, why would gov't agencies in the US always suggest "...drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration during this heat wave"?

Maybe you don't agree, but to me, this is absolutely insane and as-sanine. Just like the proposal to ban "overly curved" cucumbers and banana's was.

Can anyone think of a possible reason to ban "overly-curved" banana's or cucumbers?:confused:

4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +817 / 2 / -9

The EU must be loaded with left wing whack job LOONS.

Left Wing Loons love to aggitate the people, it's what they do, it turns them on, also, common sense and mother nature are two of their biggest enemies, they don't know how to handle these things.

Example:
    A logger cuts a tree down, the Loon is ready for all out war, kill all the loggers.

God sends down a bolt of lightning and starts a forest fire that destroys 5 million trees, the Loon has to be sedated, how do they fight God?

Mother Nature made that curved Banana thats probaly what got the f-cking ass holes all worked up.

5. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Harry, I'll say it for you....

The European Union sucks...just ask their citizens!

6. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

What is their position in the pizza is a vegetable debate?

7. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +353 / 15 / -12

My reaction on reading this is that it's so absurd, the reports must be inaccurate. On additional investigation, I saw it's being played up by the usual right-wing blogs, and let's face it they lie and distort all the time. I would urge people to do a little more due diligence before falling for such crap. But, as Mencken said, "Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public," a lesson well learned by the right wing media. The joke's on those of you who took this story on face value.

This was a technical ruling to offer advice as to some specific language, not a law or regulation. It seems to be based on the reality that dehydrated people may need more than water and that dehydration may be a more complex symptom than someone not drinking enough water.

Daft hysteria over the EU's ruling on water and dehydration | by Martin Robbins @mjrobbins | Science | guardian.co.uk

The Express finally admit this in the very last line of their hysteria, when they eventually allow an EU spokesperson to get a line in edgeways: "This is a specific case with specific characteristics. Either way the final decision is for member states."

The British Soft Drinks Association, who tweeted just as this piece was going live with the following statement: The European Food Safety Authority has been asked to rule on several ways of wording the statement that drinking water is good for hydration and therefore good for health. It rejected some wordings on technicalities, but it has supported claims that drinking water is good for normal physical and cognitive functions and normal thermoregulation.

8. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I did read all the details as this is something my company deals with all the time. And it is still idiotic for any gov't to tell a water company they can't say "water prevents dehydration"

I say that because I guarantee you we'll hear gov't agencies telling the public "please drink plenty of water during the heat-wave to prevent dehydration"

Based upon the EU regulation, no one in their gov't can ever say that again.

Fact: water is one of THE basics to be healthy. It is essential if you're going to be out in the heat & sun to prevent dehydration. Anyone who thinks water is the answer for ALL forms of dehydration is just plain stupid...especially if one is sick.

So should we now make laws and regulations to protect only stupid people? c'mon patters...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  9. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

No, of course not. We should let stupid people die and call it natural selection. In fact, we should actively encourage it.

Jesuschrist, PR, of course we make laws to protect "stupid people." People are inherently stupid.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,370 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

People who use those as sex objects :confused3: could get injured PR ... :scared:

11. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Let's say someone reads a bottle of water that says "Water is essential in preventing dehydration" and that person tries to treat a very sick person with that water and the sick person dies. The news should just report "death due to stupidity"

FYI...it is not illegal for a water company to say this in the United States.

12. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Do you know how many cases of water toxicity I've seen in the ER? Apparently you have no idea of how people "read" things or process information. Some of them are young, some of them are old and, yes, some of them are just not the best and brightest around. But the point is, it's a problem.

For that matter, lots of deaths are due to "stupidity," if you want to look at the fact that most people don't have alot of medical knowledge and trust what they read or what someone tells them as "stupidity."

Sad fact is, there are alot of people who think "more is better," and will always, if left uneducated, continue to drink two bottles when one is sufficient. Some will drink three - some will drink too much and mess up their electrolyte balance and become severely ill.

The fact remains that yes, water is essential to survivial, but it's not the answer to survival. Oral hydration is not the answer to serious dehydration. Oral hydration alone is not sufficient to save a life if the life is already compromised. Dehydration is an insidious thing - people don't always realize when it is serious and when it just requires oral fluids.

We had a peds doc one time who took a phone call from a distraught mother because her 6 month old baby was vomiting. He told her, over the phone, to stop giving the baby formula and give it only water instead. He did not specify how much or for how long. The baby was sick, the baby was crying and so the parents kept giving it water throughout the night. The baby eventually quit crying and they thought that the baby was finally "full," and let it sleep. When it did not wake up a few hours later they brought it into the ER. We worked for hours - the baby died. Acute water toxicity - and dehydration. I've seen highly intelligent marathon runners come into the ER suffering fluid overloads. Even "smart" people think "more is better," sometimes. They weren't "sick," they weren't trying to treat an acute illness with water - they simply figured that the more water they drank, the less likely it would be that they'd suffer from dehydration.

There's a balance. You don't drink to increase fluids, you drink to replace fluids. Drinking a ton of water when you're not losing water isn't necessarily a good thing.

Diabetics who don't know they're diabetics suffer from extreme thirst. They drink and drink and drink trying to quench that thirst. They're not trying to "treat an illness," they're treating a symptom they don't recognize. Drinking tons of water doesn't cure the disease, it masks the symptom and makes them more susceptable to coma and death. Reading a label that tells them that "drinking water is essential," does them a disservice.

Well then, don't worry about it. Aren't you the one who says we should quit worrying about other countries and concentrate only on our own country?

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

Then a law should be passed stating "Anyone who uses a banana or cucumber for sexual purposes is just plain stupid!"

Seriously, I can not imagine people actually buy a banana or cuke for sexual purposes...at least not in REAL life.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I just like to make fun of the European Union...they're just so, so, so...stupid.

15. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

You're very naive, aren't you?

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

I'll assume this is a rhetorical statement and not a question. Just a little fyi...I'm not naive. But I do know that toys are made that are much better than cukes and bananas. They have many advantages over vegetables too!

For one, they're re-usable. Secondly, they're better. I wonder if EBT cards can be used to purchase sex toys...:eek:

17. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

People are embarassed to buy toys....they are not embarassed to buy vegetables.

Are you laboring under the assumption that only poor people use sex toys?

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

They need to "get over" their embarassment...think about "reality vs. perception" for a minute. Using vegetables to please yourself sexually is extremely embarassing and frankly, weird. Using something made for that purpose is A-OK in anyone's book. I know because...well, you know how I know MrsP!;)

No, I'm hoping that they're not allowed to buy such things with taxpayer's dollars.

19. Mrs.PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +620 / 13 / -5

#24 Jersey

Reality is - people use all sorts of things for sexual pleasure. Ask any ER doctor, radiologist, urologist or gynocologist. Every radiologist I know has a cabinet full of xrays of bizarre objects which have needed removal.

We'd get several patients a week who needed assistance removing various objects.

Veggies were the usually the least of their problems.

20. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +446 / 5 / -23

#18 Jersey

lol!!! I actually enjoyed this conversation and the glimpse of humor you showed.

I have some friends who work in hospitals and I've heard all the stories (well, a lot of stories) about "objects" in certain places. Never thought you'd say it though....but I'm glad you did.

Sex is a pretty powerful drive, so I actually understand most of what we've discussed...veggies and all!:p

P.S. Glad I already had my dinner!