PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eugene Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slagathor

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
This fellows new injury could not have come soon enough for his sake, as I believe he had a chance at being a final cut.

I understood he has a lot of value in his knowledge of our system, but IMHO, his upside stopped going up about 3 years ago.

He's been injured alot lately, but has anyone noticed he often experiences some little injury when he gets embarassingly beaten on plays.

I hate sounding harsh, but Geno has ALWAYS seemed to be the the secondaries achilles heal to me.

I'm eagerly looking forward to watching the continued growth and development of Sanders and Meriweather.

This fellows new injury could not have come soon enough for his sake, as I believe he had a chance at being a final cut.

I understood he has a lot of value in his knowledge of our system, but IMHO, his upside stopped going up about 3 years ago.

He's been injured alot lately, but has anyone noticed he often experiences some little injury when he gets embarassingly beaten on plays.

I hate sounding harsh, but Geno has ALWAYS seemed to be the the secondaries achilles heal to me.

I'm eagerly looking forward to watching the continued growth and development of Sanders and Meriweather.
Are you joking? He's healthy, he starts.

Are you joking? He's healthy, he starts.

That may be the case, but I've never been a huge fan.

I predict Merriweather will be filling that spot permanantly sometime into the season.

He wouldn't be released - and he will start initially if healthy - but I bet Meriweather is starting by midseason. I'm also not a big Geno guy, I don't think he has good Safety instincts having been a CB most of his life.

He wouldn't be released - and he will start initially if healthy - but I bet Meriweather is starting by midseason. I'm also not a big Geno guy, I don't think he has good Safety instincts having been a CB most of his life.

Agreed. But his coverage skills have always been suspect to me. If he's left on an island without help.....he gets burnt relatively often. As a corner, he's very average.

Agreed. But his coverage skills have always been suspect to me. If he's left on an island without help.....he gets burnt relatively often. As a corner, he's very average.
I know, I was never excited about him as a CB. But his angles, reaction to play action, etc, let me . . . blah . . . he did have some dominating hits back in 2003 though. We can win with him but not because of him.

Which is why he plays safety. Wilson is in absolutely no danger of losing his starting position if healthy. He was a borderline probowler his first two years, had a down year when every other player had one too, and rebounded to have a decent season last year. If you exclude the Jet game, I would even go as far as to call it excellent.

Not sure where all the hostility towards Eugene Wilson comes from. Are you sure that you aren't paying attention to Felger too much? He talked about WIlson's "bad angle" on the Carolina TD but he ignores the fact that he hurts himself just when he was about to get into the play. It wasn't the angle that was bad, it was his speed reducing to about 1/2 that kept him from making a tackle.

Last edited:
I know, I was never excited about him as a CB. But his angles, reaction to play action, etc, let me . . . blah . . . he did have some dominating hits back in 2003 though. We can win with him but not because of him.

You are reading into 2005 too much. Other than the Jet game last year and 2005, WIlson has been fine at worst and excellent more than not.

You are reading into 2005 too much. Other than the Jet game last year and 2005, WIlson has been fine at worst and excellent more than not.
Well I hope you're right. I don't tape games so it's been a while since I've seen him as he got hurt again. His game seems directly proportional to Harrison being out there with him which is why I'm reluctant to give Wilson too much credit. When Harrison is hurt Wilson needs to step up not shrink down.

Which is why he plays safety. Wilson is in absolutely no danger of losing his starting position if healthy. He was a borderline probowler his first two years, had a down year when every other player had one too, and rebounded to have a decent season last year. If you exclude the Jet game, I would even go as far as to call it excellent.

Not sure where all the hostility towards Eugene Wilson comes from. Are you sure that you aren't paying attention to Felger too much? He talked about WIlson's "bad angle" on the Carolina TD but he ignores the fact that he hurts himself just when he was about to get into the play. It wasn't the angle that was bad, it was his speed reducing to about 1/2 that kept him from making a tackle.

Paying attention to Felger!? That's blasphemy!

Nah, I just have never been a big fan of Wilson's game and always felt that was a position we could and should upgrade.

Don't get me wrong. He was a serviceable player for a while, but I've always looked at him as a liabilty.

Paying attention to Felger!? That's blasphemy!

Nah, I just have never been a big fan of Wilson's game and always felt that was a position we could and should upgrade.

Don't get me wrong. He was a serviceable player for a while, but I've always looked at him as a liabilty.

NE is apparently making plans to replace him, but I still think you are factoring 2005 into your opinion too much. Wilson was one of the best 10-15 safeties in the game in 2003 and 2004. In 2005 he wasn't ready to be the man, and in 2006 he got hurt just as he was coming on. I see him very much the same way I saw Samuel last year. I will be surprised if he doesn't have a very good year.

NE is apparently making plans to replace him, but I still think you are factoring 2005 into your opinion too much. Wilson was one of the best 10-15 safeties in the game in 2003 and 2004. In 2005 he wasn't ready to be the man, and in 2006 he got hurt just as he was coming on. I see him very much the same way I saw Samuel last year. I will be surprised if he doesn't have a very good year.

I think he thrived when Rodney was out there with him, keeping in the right spots, keeping his head on straight and having his toughness be contagious.

Once Rodney was gone, Eugene's game dipped in a big way.

I'd much rather have Rodney's influence begin impacting a guy like Merriweather, who has a MUCH bigger upside at safety than Geno ever did.

I think he thrived when Rodney was out there with him, keeping in the right spots, keeping his head on straight and having his toughness be contagious.

Once Rodney was gone, Eugene's game dipped in a big way.

I'd much rather have Rodney's influence begin impacting a guy like Merriweather, who has a MUCH bigger upside at safety than Geno ever did.

If Meriweather becomes as good as Geno was in 2004 I think we'd all be happy. Again, I don't see any good reason to diparage the kid.

I agree, he's not a world-beater on his own, but w/Rodney I think they form a more than solid team.

Obviously we all hope that Merriweather is the safety of the future. But Geno is a young guys still and can really help this team for a long time.

If Meriweather becomes as good as Geno was in 2004 I think we'd all be happy. Again, I don't see any good reason to diparage the kid.

My goal was not to disparage him, but in the cruel world of NFL evaluation, both professional and that of the fans, his skill set has plateaued.

He did a nice job for us, but his spot warrants an upgrade if you can get it.

Again the problem with your accurate timeline is it's largely based on when Harrison is out there. Great - all we need is a Hall of Fame quality Safety next to him and he's a pretty good player.

But Geno is a young guys still and can really help this team for a long time.
What do you think the odds are that he's a Patriots this time next year ? I think it's 25% on the high side. He won't help us for a long time - we drafted his replacement this year.

I agree, he's not a world-beater on his own, but w/Rodney I think they form a more than solid team.

Obviously we all hope that Merriweather is the safety of the future. But Geno is a young guys still and can really help this team for a long time.

I agree, as demonstrated at the end of last year with Hawkins and Sanders we don't need anything more than solid play from our Safeties (until the playoffs). The front seven is going to be excellent and the corners will be very good (Samuel, Hobbs). They Safeties will just have to play the deep half of the field and make their tackles.

In the playoffs against teams like Indy we need more than solid play. Having Harrison on the field add a different dimension, especially as a blitzer.

I just hope the annual run on DBs hasn't started and Harrison, Wilson, Merriweather are all ok.

What do you think the odds are that he's a Patriots this time next year ? I think it's 25% on the high side. He won't help us for a long time - we drafted his replacement this year.

I would have guessed higher. Don't you think that Rodney wrapping things up soon increases Wilson's chances of sticking around?

Again the problem with your accurate timeline is it's largely based on when Harrison is out there. Great - all we need is a Hall of Fame quality Safety next to him and he's a pretty good player.

No. Wilson's biggest issues with 2005 is that he isn't a good SS. If NE had the 2007 James Sanders backing up Rodney, Wilson would never have looked so bad. From that perspective, I can see why people would say that Meriweather would have more upside; he looks like he could be a decent SS in a pinch. But I think that WIlson is a fine FS and he would be even without Rodney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes