Eugene Wilson - Repeated Missed Tackles

Status
Not open for further replies.

maverick4

Banned
Reaction score
Eugene Wilson almost singlehandedly killed us on Sunday. From Reiss' blog:

--------
Of those nine missed tackles in the second half, seven came on three crucial plays:

* Jerricho Cotchery's 71-yard touchdown (Chad Scott/Eugene Wilson miss)
* Laveranues Coles' 46-yard touchdown (Eugene Wilson/Mike Vrabel/Ellis Hobbs miss)
* Coles' third-and-six conversion that set up a field goal in the fourth quarter (Eugene Wilson/Asante Samuel miss)

Missed tackles are somewhat arbitrary. In this case, a play was recorded as a missed tackle only if the defensive player wasn't being blocked by a Jets player.
-------

What's the point of having a free safety deep if he can't tackle anybody who reaches him?

maverick4 said:
Eugene Wilson almost singlehandedly killed us on Sunday. From Reiss' blog:

--------
Of those nine missed tackles in the second half, seven came on three crucial plays:

* Jerricho Cotchery's 71-yard touchdown (Chad Scott/Eugene Wilson miss)
* Laveranues Coles' 46-yard touchdown (Eugene Wilson/Mike Vrabel/Ellis Hobbs miss)
* Coles' third-and-six conversion that set up a field goal in the fourth quarter (Eugene Wilson/Asante Samuel miss)

Missed tackles are somewhat arbitrary. In this case, a play was recorded as a missed tackle only if the defensive player wasn't being blocked by a Jets player.
-------

What's the point of having a free safety deep if he can't tackle anybody who reaches him?

At least you know where the dead horse is but beating it like you are is just tiring me out.

If he had been "deep" on those plays I might agree with you, but Rodney was the deep man and Geno was in coverage.

You forgot to mention that he broke up Rodney's INT attempt that Tedy saved. Eugene has had a rough start to 2006 after a rough 2005. He needs to pick it up, big time. He's playing sloppy. He needs to remember his fundamentals and just play within his job.

Oh please will this just stop finally. He has one bad game and all of a sudden he's terrible? Let's just forget all the great games he's had and bash him. Oh....2005, let's see: playing without Harrison for the first time, playing without Law, playing with some bad corners (Starks) and all the blame falls on him. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

mdhprime said:
Oh please will this just stop finally. He has one bad game and all of a sudden he's terrible? Let's just forget all the great games he's had and bash him. Oh....2005, let's see: playing without Harrison for the first time, playing without Law, playing with some bad corners (Starks) and all the blame falls on him. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.. He had a down 2005 and is having a down 2006 so far (counting his bad play in preseason, and mediocre to poor play so far in the regular season), so what is the issue that you take with people pointing it out?

Are we to keep making excuses for the players that play poorly consistently?

How much more time does a player need before fans are allowed to notice his poor play? He's been playing badly for about 20 games now counting preseason, I think it's safe to say that we all have a big enough sample size to draw opinions from.

I see him consistently line up the big hit instead of wrapping guys up. I see him consistenly take bad angles. I see him consistenly get outrun. I see him consistently get turned around by WR's moves. I see a player that looks lost and that has looked that way for going on a season and a half worth of games (counting pre-season).

No one is stringing the guy up by his toes. All anyone is saying is that he needs to step up and play better. You can't disagree with -that-, can you?

Box_O_Rocks said:
If he had been "deep" on those plays I might agree with you, but Rodney was the deep man and Geno was in coverage.

Box, you watch alot of tape, so gimme an opinion here: Is Wilson playing as bad as it looks like he is live? From what my eyes tell me the guy is playing awful. I wonder if the tape backs it up.

He should have wrapped Cotchery low.

He got made to look silly TWICE by Coles on the same TD run.

And over and over it seemed like he was taking bad angles so far this season.

No?

mdhprime said:
It wasn't even a bad game. I swear, all the media has to do is say something...no matter what it is....and some fans will start repeating it as a lame attempt to show they know what they're talking about. If Felger prints Gillette Stadium is made out of plastic, some fans will say oh really? Okay....we must address this plastic stadium issue.

Reiss points out 3 plays. If anyone thinks Wilson was the main problem on either the Coles TD or the Cotchery TD (which was just a fluke, good play by the receiver)....they don't know what they're talking about. The other was an 8 yard completion. Big deal. It happens. Wilson was fine Sunday. I got the game on tape, I challenge anyone who says otherwise to point out a play besides these and time and point of the game and I'll check it out. Maybe they'll bother to see some of his good plays including the attempted long pass early in the game by the Jets he had.

How anyone could claim he is playing bad and had a bad game against Buffalo is beyond me. Its just befuddling. They gave up 10 points defensively and around 250 yards, the one TD on a run after Vince Wilfork missed a tackle. This is a bad game for Wilson? Who is watching these games?

Felger has an issue with Wilson. It hasn't come out why, but he has beat this drum for two years. And some of you should stop being sheep and just assuming its true and start questioning the idiots doing the reporting.

J D Sal

Last edited:
Football is a team sport. 53 players contribute to each win or loss. Very seldom does one player "single-handedly" win or lose a game.

Perfection has never been achieved in football. If it had, there would never be first downs, field goals, or TDs against a defense. Players miss tackles. On virtually every series of every game ever played.

Example: Tory Palamalu got faked out of his shoes on a missed tackle last night. Does that means he sucks? No. If any one believes that Eugene Wilson and Palamalu will not continue to miss tackles, they have completely unrealistic expectations.

The game is really quite simple. The team that makes more positive plays and/or fewer mistakes over the course of 60 minutes will usually win the game. Inherent in that equation is that both teams, and all players, will make abundant mistakes. 100 plays. 100 players. There will be plenty of mistakes to go around.

Brownfan80 said:
Box, you watch alot of tape, so gimme an opinion here: Is Wilson playing as bad as it looks like he is live? From what my eyes tell me the guy is playing awful. I wonder if the tape backs it up.

He should have wrapped Cotchery low.

He got made to look silly TWICE by Coles on the same TD run.

And over and over it seemed like he was taking bad angles so far this season.

No?
What were Coles' statistics the past few years? Any chance that he's made other defenders look silly before? Isn't it odd that four other Patriots known for making the odd tackle now and again are also listed in Reiss' notes? I agree on the Cotchery play I was disappointed neither Geno or Scott wrapped up. My best guess is Geno drew the short straw in coverage, or the Jest were deliberately working to create a mismatch between Coles and Geno - kind of what BB does with Watson - absolutely shameful of the Jest. :D

Brownfan80 said:
I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here.. He had a down 2005 and is having a down 2006 so far (counting his bad play in preseason, and mediocre to poor play so far in the regular season), so what is the issue that you take with people pointing it out?

Are we to keep making excuses for the players that play poorly consistently?

How much more time does a player need before fans are allowed to notice his poor play? He's been playing badly for about 20 games now counting preseason, I think it's safe to say that we all have a big enough sample size to draw opinions from.

I see him consistently line up the big hit instead of wrapping guys up. I see him consistenly take bad angles. I see him consistenly get outrun. I see him consistently get turned around by WR's moves. I see a player that looks lost and that has looked that way for going on a season and a half worth of games (counting pre-season).

No one is stringing the guy up by his toes. All anyone is saying is that he needs to step up and play better. You can't disagree with -that-, can you?

The problem I have with your criticism is that you are putting Wilson in a box. Calling his 2005 season down is wrong. The whole secondary under performed. That doesn't mean that Wilson's play diminished necessarily, it means the players around him did. Take 2005 for what is was: no Harrison, no Law, no Gay (for most of it), no Scott (for most of it) not to mention playing next to a different safety every week until finally Hawkins and Sanders began to stabilize the position. That puts a lot of pressure on the one consistent performer the safety position had. Wilson is a very good player who is only going to get better, but his production (just like any other player in his situation) will suffer under those types of adverse circumstances.

As far as the Jets game goes, he had a few missed tackles and a subpar game. Don't throw him under a bus....it happens to the best of them. As far as the Buffalo game, I have no idea what you are talking about. The whole team stunk until the 2nd half.

mdhprime said:
The problem I have with your criticism is that you are putting Wilson in a box. Calling his 2005 season down is wrong. The whole secondary under performed. That doesn't mean that Wilson's play diminished necessarily, it means the players around him did. Take 2005 for what is was: no Harrison, no Law, no Gay (for most of it), no Scott (for most of it) not to mention playing next to a different safety every week until finally Hawkins and Sanders began to stabilize the position. That puts a lot of pressure on the one consistent performer the safety position had. Wilson is a very good player who is only going to get better, but his production (just like any other player in his situation) will suffer under those types of adverse circumstances.

As far as the Jets game goes, he had a few missed tackles and a subpar game. Don't throw him under a bus....it happens to the best of them. As far as the Buffalo game, I have no idea what you are talking about. The whole team stunk until the 2nd half.

I don't mean to throw him under the bus. There was just a time when Wilson seemed to be an up and coming All-Pro type FS. He made big plays, big hits, big stops. It's just been a pretty long time since we've heard his name called consistently for a good reason. For quite some time now you have only heard his name called when something bad is happening.

In a secondary where there has only been one player consistently out on the field, that one player has been affected by the inexperience around him rather than leading those players.

I just hope he turns it around, that's all.

Box_O_Rocks said:
What were Coles' statistics the past few years? Any chance that he's made other defenders look silly before? Isn't it odd that four other Patriots known for making the odd tackle now and again are also listed in Reiss' notes? I agree on the Cotchery play I was disappointed neither Geno or Scott wrapped up. My best guess is Geno drew the short straw in coverage, or the Jest were deliberately working to create a mismatch between Coles and Geno - kind of what BB does with Watson - absolutely shameful of the Jest. :D

Coles is a good WR, yes, but it seems that Wilson was targeted for a reason, no?

But hey, you're the man with the tape watching skills, so you tell me.

I don't want to get that 'negative' label again, for Chrissake, I just got rid of it. But it does seem that Wilson has become somewhat of a liability more often than an asset.

Last edited:
First off did you see the other Wilson thread with many pages going? Apparently not or you just didnt care.

He played poorly, so did many people. Hobbs slipped and allowed Coles to get a big gain, he missed a tackle on Coles as well as Wilson, Vrabel and Samuel did. Wilson and Scotts hit on Crotchery was a fluke play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back