PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Eugene Wilson could be key in January

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

It was great to see Eugene play big again, between injuries and inconsistent play we haven't see it since 04. This guy could be huge for us heading into January. If Geno can prove to the coaching staff that he's back over these next 2 games, I can see the Pats playing alot of "Big Nickel" in January with Rodney, Sanders and Wilson that will allow Rodney to cheat up to either blitz or support the run. It makes our defense that much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Wilson! I hope he can stay healthy & be the big play guy I envisioned early in his career.

This is a very sound observation. A healthy and focused Geno makes Rodney that much more valuable, particularly in the big nickle. Improved run D is a direct offshoot of this and it could not be coming at a better time.

Wilson made some nice plays yesterday... but he also got caught out of position ALLOT (trying to jump routes when he should have stayed back).

Good point. Geno provides depth and flexibility to a team that needs that given some of the injuries they've had. While his presence doesn't account for a Colvin or a Wright, he provides the flexibility that allows Harrison to be moved around to protect against the run or take on a TE in coverage. This is key for this team going into the playoffs. Welcome back, Geno!

Honestly, with the emergence of Sanders and the drafting of Meriweather, the S position went from being very weak to being very good. We have 4 very good contributors, not to mention that Gay can slide to S to make that 5.

Rodney will obviously be retiring in the next few years, and it will be a huge loss both for his abilities and his leadership, but I think we have loaded up at that position.

Now when Kerry Rhodes becomes a UFA, add him to replace Rodney (only when he retires, and I hope that is as far away as possible) - and we will be stacked for a while at S.

I'm loving the secondary depth this late in the season! Geno, Gay, Merriweather, and even Andrews can all play CB/S.

Personally I need to see more from Wilson. I could've picked off that pass and taken it 5 yards for a TD.

Personally I need to see more from Wilson. I could've picked off that pass and taken it 5 yards for a TD.

On the other hand, if it had been Meriweather out there, the ball would have just bounced off his chest incomplete.

No doubt Wilson made some key plays yesterday, but he was caught out of position several times. He tried to jump a pass that was Samuel's responsibility and let the guy get passed him. He also missed an important tackle on the 49 yard run. The big plays are nice but Billy is only going to put players out there if they consistently handle their responsibilities. I'm not sure Eugene showed us that he can do that.

I'm hoping Geno can step it up as well. HE definitely showed some spark in this week's wn over the Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back