Welcome to PatsFans.com

Estimating the Impact of Fourth of July

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jun 30, 2011.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,078 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

Very interesting ... went to the source ... got to keep the forum fact checking honest.

http://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/dyanagi/Research/FourthOfJuly.pdf

Now we have 4th of July, Nascar and FoxNews to blame - and Budweiser I think.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I read the same article and I think they have the cause and effect backwards. Going to parades doesn't make someone more likely to be a republicans; rather, being a republican makes someone more likely to go to parade or otherwise celebrate America.

There is a very significant percentage of the liberal population who hate America, hate the military, what America stands for, etc. So obviously they won't be going to any parades anytime soon.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

What is a "significant percentage"? Because I've never known a single who your description would fit. And even here in librul west LA, the 4th is a pretty big holiday, including parades.

I'd guess the "significant %" you allude to is more than matched by pubbies who talk a big game re loving America but demonstrate that they hate American principles through their actions.

4. DropKickFlutie

DropKickFlutie Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

This type of blanket generalization about "liberals" above, is the reason why conservatives often get labeled as sexist or racist or xenophobic, because certain individuals like Wolfpack apply extremely simplistic childish thinking to generalize entire groups of people.

And by the way, most recent studies have shown that liberal members of Congress have spent far more time in active military duty than many conservative members have. There's a big difference between simplistically saying liberals hate America, compared to, say, acknowledging how ridiculous some events are like Columbus Day (think about it).

Pathetically accusing people of being anti-American during intellectual or policy debates, is how conservatives managed to get us right now into Iraq and Afghanistan. Those morons who use this tactic are anti-intelligence and accuse anyone of using their brain as being against their fascist idea of what America is. You see them even turn on other conservatives, whether it be Ron Paul or Mitt Romney if they disagree with their own views. Some of these wackos probably think Ron Paul is anti-American because he talks about blowback, how our foreign policy has caused many of our current troubles, and pushes for less foreign intervention.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  5. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +569 / 8 / -8

Conclusion: It rains a lot more on the coasts, where Dems cluster.

Precip Map

[​IMG]

2010 electoral map

[​IMG]

So I take it that what happens with Western states is the sun shines every fourth of July, everybody goes to parades, and therefore their critical thinking is impaired to the point where they can vote Republican.

Or, any correlation is connected to the fact that culturally you are most likely to be a Republican in places with less rain, the interior South excepted (where you get lots of rain and Republicans.)

But then, the South has that whole race history thing to swell Republican ranks among the majority white population.

Pieces of cloth and sparkly displays in the sky are wonderful. Hell, I spend the fourth watching a panorama of a couple of dozen jurisdictions around our nation's capital -- and the national show, down at the Mall -- from my balcony. They're pretty. They're not America.

America is the Constitution, which the right loves to talk about but also wants to destroy, repealing the amendments that make us free across the nation, such as the 18th. America is the wellbeing of me and my countrymen, which the right wants to destroy by touching off another round of economic misery, by degrading the credit history of a nation that's been unimpugned since the eighteenth century (and which itself is ensconced in the 14th amendment.) America is rights for human beings, which the right has twisted into rights for corporations. America is a nation built by waves of immigrants, which the right wants to twist into hatred of immigrants. America is freedom to vote to elect your representatives, which the right wants to condition and limit for their own purposes. America is freedom to associate and assemble, which the right wants to destroy through their union-busting activities. America is fifty stars on one blue field -- and the right gets excited when its heroes talk about their states seceeding.

Wave your fu(kin' flags. If you loved this country, you'd love its people.

PFnV

6. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

Parades are often an over the top demonstration of american "values".. all bells and whistles. Most have become a traffic deadlock.

Many prefer to celebrate the 4th quietly with family, cherishing our nations values and freedoms.. some wave flags, others enjoy the liberty.

My preference is an irreverent Mardi Gras Parade, either Krewe de Vieux, Tucks or Muses which poke fun at everyone, and demonstrate our constitutional rights....

7. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

This forum is a generalization disaster area on both sides.

8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

9. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Yep, that's the true impact!:singing:

Anyway, I'm glad there's no rain in the forecast today. I was starting to feel a little too liberal from all the rain that came with the last two storms:p

10. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

(some restrictions apply. pubbies, righties and southerners not included)

11. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +389 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

I thought pubbies, righties and southerners were the REAL Americans...no?:p

12. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yeah...especially southerners:

[​IMG]

13. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,078 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I spent $500 on fireworks to stimulate the Chinese economy and my forecast calls for showers Sunday night - good grief Charlie Brown.

14. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

Buy American!

15. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, there's a surprise! Another Chico response with absolutely nothing intelligent to say and is nothing more than a reworded way of stating: "I know you are but what am I?" :rofl: :rofl:

Uh oh! Chico's obsessive desire to have the last word coming in 3....2.....1..... :rocker:

16. chicowalker

Ratings:
    +253 / 3 / -4

In other words, nothing to support or clarify your claims. I guess because you had nothing intelligent to say in the first place. :rofl: :rofl:

It appears your obsessive desire to have the last word compelled you to reply with an even less intelligent post, though. :rocker:

17. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Really? What studies are those? I'm just not seeing any significant difference between the 2 parties in this chart from 2010 (which obviously still holds here in 2011):

[​IMG]

18. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

There is a HUGE difference here, obliviously. More damnation with faint praise. In the Senate there are TWO more with military experience than Dems. WOW! That's significant.

Maybe you should look for a stat with a better distinction than 2% and .5% to illustrate your point. And BTW, the OP was talking about the People of America, not the subhuman chickenhawks in Congress. I wonder how many of them "served" in the national guard or during peacetime (which doesn't really count as I can attest personally)

19. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Uh, gee, if you actually took 5 seconds to read (and about 30 minutes to comprehend) my post and the one I responded to then you would see that another individual was saying democrats in Congress have much more service and my post specifically states there is no significant difference between the 2 parties.
    Considering my point is that there is no big difference, I think the stat I chose illustrates it perfectly.
    The comment I responded to said "most recent studies have shown that liberal members of Congress have spent far more time in active military duty than many conservative members have." Sorry, but the comment I was responding to did not mention the "people of America."

I know you feel you have to disagree with every single thing I write, but seriously, Wistah......
    :rofl:lern2read. :rofl:

20. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Nah...I just read your posts. They're the best! Seriously, whenever I see the Big Blue Meanie (great choice of avatar, by the way- but I don't get the "blue" part) I gotta read it and sometimes I jump on your case. Sorry man.

So that's what you call a "significant difference"? I'll give you that there's a difference, but it ain't significant.