PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN's Clayton thinks Brady is best protected QB

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in sum, most everyone else who has expressed an opinion on this matter is wrong, but New England fans are right because, you know, they're completely objective in this situation.

Haven't got over the loss? Still liking your wounds? Still trying to find
something to sooth the hurt? The calls had nothing to do with your
team's loss. Both teams got questionable calls. SO F---ing what. There was a lot more football than the few calls you babies cry about.
You LOST ... OWN UP and give credit where credit is DUE!
STOP being a sore LOSER! You cast a shadow on your fan base.

So, in sum, most everyone else who has expressed an opinion on this matter is wrong, but New England fans are right because, you know, they're completely objective in this situation.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Since the game last Sunday you have been all over this board whining about the same calls being wrong. And you come to a Patriot message board and accuse people here of being Patriot fans. I am sure the Raven message boards are objective.

Irrespective of whether people are saying that the calls were wrong, or quite simply that the rules are wrong, New England fans have unanimously declared these analysts idiots whom they've never liked.
Clayton has a long history of (a) being negative about the Pats, and (b) being incorrect about the Pats. He was indeed deemed an idiot in these parts long before today.

John Clayton's predictions about the Pats

Whether the rules are right or wrong is a completely different topic than whether or not it is worth paying attention to what Clayton has to say.

Last edited:
Clayton = Borges... they both get major props for creepiness.

Actually, objectivity has nothing to do with it. We are right because we are simply smarter.

Priceless.

Notice we don't support a team that has a leader jumping around like a circus clown because they held the opponent to two yards on a 4th and 1 play:confused:.

Because most NFL fans choose their team instead of just following their city's franchise, right?
Again, where was Ray Ray bashing the NFL week one when Wilfork and AD were flagged for worse RTP hits?:confused:

Why would Ray Lewis speak up about a New England/Buffalo game in September?

Haven't got over the loss? Still liking your wounds? Still trying to find
something to sooth the hurt? The calls had nothing to do with your
team's loss. Both teams got questionable calls. SO F---ing what. There was a lot more football than the few calls you babies cry about.
You LOST ... OWN UP and give credit where credit is DUE!
STOP being a sore LOSER! You cast a shadow on your fan base.

The penalties didn't effect the final outcome as the Ravens had the ball on the Pats' 12 yard line with a dropped pass likely preventing them from winning the game.

I'm just disputing some of the attacks being directed at Ravens.

I don't see how Brady could be getting "protection" from the refs. He was mauled the entire game agaisnt the Jets, and I don't remember one RTP call.

Every referee calls the game different. We lost a Super Bowl because of a bad call (Eli chould have been whistled down for the sack on the Tyree throw since he was in the grasp), but that crew chose to let the players play. The crew in the Balt/NE game didn't. That's life.

This is surprising news? Wouldn't it be more of a shock when someone like Clayton actually says something that makes sense. As far as the Baltimore fan is concerned, come back here if/when Flacco gets lunged at towards the knees and hopefully doesn't have to miss an entire season.

Irrespective of whether people are saying that the calls were wrong, or quite simply that the rules are wrong, New England fans have unanimously declared these analysts idiots whom they've never liked.

Most of what I've seen has been people criticizing the rule as it's written. That's fair. I'm not a huge fan of the rules as they stand either--not when they're called against us, and not when they're called for us--but anyone who's arguing that those calls weren't made according to the rulebook is wrong, and nobody has credibly argued that yet. And even though I don't like the rules as they stand, but I understand why they're there. QBs, kickers, and punters are the most defenseless players on the field, both because their job requires them to leave themselves exposed and it's the opposing defense's job to hit them while they're exposed. The NFL consistently protects players who are required to expose themselves like that, including defensive players (chop block).

Anyone who's claiming that the refs outright favored the Pats either didn't watch the game or can't count. Both teams were flagged nine times, and both teams had touchdown drives that should not have happened if not for incorrect calls. The Pats got screwed by the QB helmet rule just as badly as the Ravens did. I'll agree with you that the officiating was iffy, probably because Winters sucks, but it wasn't biased. They made and missed crucial calls for both teams, and they completely blew the fake-FG first down call because it didn't even matter if he got the first down. It was an illegal shift, and Baker caught the ball, and therefore the play was over and the penalty was assessed. According to the rules, that's the end of the play, so whether or not Baker got the first down doesn't matter- there was no play. Crap like that is why I think Winters sucks, not some imagined bias.

And yeah, of the fans and members of the sports 'media' who are criticizing the calls, and not the rules themselves, just about all of them clearly media didn't watch the game, are incorrectly recounting what happened, and don't even know the relevant rules in the first place. So yeah, they're wrong. I don't care if everyone on ESPN thinks the Ravens got jobbed, because none of them even know what the rules in the rulebook are in the first place, so why would their opinion on hose rules were called matter?

Last edited:
I've always wondered what team Clayton supports. Is he a Steeler fan? Colts fan? The guy is so reluctant to give the Pats any sort of compliment whatsoever. I remember when the Pats humiliated the Bills 56-10 in 2007, and Clayton had the nerve to say that while score was a blowout, the game really was alot closer-- a bunch of miscommunications in the secondary for the Bills contributed to the 4 Moss gimme touchdowns in the first half.

Last edited:
john-clayton.jpg
128760817162036681.jpg

AND MY FAV.......................

gollum-picture.jpg

GO PATSSSSSSSSSSSS :singing::singing::singing::singing::singing:

With his offensive line and the league's roughing-the-passer rules, Tom Brady is the best-protected quarterback in football. (Clayton)

I don't really see the problem here. Are people here saying that the offensive line blows chunks? Was the new rule not put in, at least in fair part, as a result of the Brady injury last season?

Priceless.

Because most NFL fans choose their team instead of just following their city's franchise, right?

Why would Ray Lewis speak up about a New England/Buffalo game in September?

Why would Lewis talk about a New England Buffalo game? Well Einstein, because he worried about calls against defensive players.

See, only a whiny ass ***** would cry after a game where they also received a RTP call from the crew that calls the most penalties.

This story has "traction" because the Pats benefitted. Ya know, the team that was called for "face guarding" in an AFCCG. (Note: there no such rule)

As a concerned fan, aren't you going to call the league and complain about the Wright penalty against Flacco?

"The ESPN Stats & Analysis team passes along that there have been 22 roughing-the-passer penalties this season (which includes Mike Wright's hands to the face, which was called as unnecessary roughness but which I assume will be changed to roughing the passer). Of those 22, three have been called against Patriots opponents, and three have been called on the Patriots. So it's an even split."

Well said Mike Reiss !!

I don't really see the problem here. .....

.... that's ok. It's really not worth the effort to guide you to
an understanding of Clayton's insinuation.

Remarks like this from that beer for brains organization
reminds me why I dislike them. Why did I even look at what they
write. No More ... I promise myself.

ESPN Clayton's job description: Degrade the patriots when ever you can.
(It's no secret )

Every mention of the Patriots by ESPN creates a new thread ... :ugh:

then there's the usual he's an idiot, he's a moron, they hate the Patriots crap. Just stop posting that sh!t ... because that's all it is.

These rankings have no influence on which teams get to play for the championship.

graphNFLRankingswk509.jpg

week5teams.jpg

.... that's ok. It's really not worth the effort to guide you to
an understanding of Clayton's insinuation.

You're right, particularly because it's a throw away line in a week 4 power ranking, and serves as nothing more than another silly opportunity to bash ESPN over a trivial comment.

I think the saddest part of this is that Tom Brady is yelling at the rough cause he wants a roughing the passer call. Then I'm listening to Sirius NFL radio and they play a clip of a Brady interview where he admits that Suggs hardly touched him. Not for nothin but beggin for a roughing call is sad, but then to go and even admit u were hardly touched after u did that.

I think the saddest part of this is that Tom Brady is yelling at the rough cause he wants a roughing the passer call. Then I'm listening to Sirius NFL radio and they play a clip of a Brady interview where he admits that Suggs hardly touched him. Not for nothin but beggin for a roughing call is sad, but then to go and even admit u were hardly touched after u did that.

That happens all the time. Holding, pass interference, etc. Every QB is guilty of trying to coax the ref a call. Either way, I highly doubt Brady's pleading had any impact on the refs thought process before he let the laundry fly (at least I'd like to think that.):p

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes