PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPNBoston mock draft results

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not comparing Allen to Wayne but...why would teams pass up on one of the better and more consistent WRs in the past decade?

Same reason they did back then? I'm confused what you mean.

2001 Draft:

8th overall-David Terrell
9th overall-Koren Robinson
15th overall-Rod Gardner
16th overall-Santana Moss
25th overall-Freddie Mitchell
30th overall-Reggie Wayne

Wayne was drafted after a bunch of busts and the same spot where Allen is projected to go (28-38). Granted, I wasn't following the draft back in 2001, but maybe teams saw Wayne as many do with Allen; just a possession WR that runs great routes but didn't seem "wow" in any way.

The ceilings of Austin, Patterson, and Hunter are very enticing to teams. Hell, some are comparing Hunter to friggin Randy Moss.... :rolleyes:

Same reason they did back then? I'm confused what you mean.

2001 Draft:

8th overall-David Terrell
9th overall-Koren Robinson
15th overall-Rod Gardner
16th overall-Santana Moss
25th overall-Freddie Mitchell
30th overall-Reggie Wayne

Wayne was drafted after a bunch of busts and the same spot where Allen is projected to go (28-38). Granted, I wasn't following the draft back in 2001, but maybe teams saw Wayne as many do with Allen; just a possesion WR that runs great routes that didn't seem "wow" in any way.

The ceilings of Austin, Patterson, and Hunter are very enticing to teams. Hell, some are comparing Hunter to friggin Randy Moss.... :rolleyes:

OK. I see your point now.

In that case, let's hope Allen = Wayne and falls to the Pats :)

I think you're mixing up the issue here. The TE situation as compared to back then is better. The WR situation clearly isn't, and can easily be compared to the 2006 team.
I think Gronk and Hernandez one their own make this receiver group infinitely better than the 2006 group, but it should be remembered, that even though THAT receiver group was an individual disaster, no doubt, the TEAM came within a bad spot, and/or a defensive collapse from going to a superbowl that year. And isn't that the point of playing the game. Its not how the WR's are doing, its how the the entire team does.

I'd have to find it. It was in response to manxman in another thread. Basically, I detailed that I saw a bad habit from Hunt to stand straight up and try to overpower his blockers using his raw physical ability. It would allow the blocker a pretty easy opportunity to get his hands under Hunt's shoulder pads and essentially manhandle him.
Thanks for finding it. BTW - I don't disagree and neither did the NFP's report on him, which stated that when he "stood up" he was merely average. But while you see this tendency in college as a fatal flaw, I see it as a coaching opportunity.

Knee bend and creating leverage are very coachable skills. Its natural for kids to stand up as their first instinct when they learn to play. Its something every HS coach has to deal with (lord knows I did), but because of that experience I believe learning to playing low and with leverage is something that can be successfully taught. Not everyone gets it, but a lot do.

The things that attract me to Hunt are his size speed, quick first step and relentless motor. I think the CHANCE that he eventually "gets it" is worth the risk at 59. BTW- Your Gholston comparison fails because you are comparing the #6 pick with the 59th. Apples and oranges IMO. If we were talking about Hunt as a top 15 pick, THEN the comparison would apply.

here's the result s of my mock draft...the entire eastern seaboard has turned out to mock me unmercifully...I've about had it with you people...you think it's easy being me?....every day, struggling to come up with new material, more trite hackneyed expressions, moth eaten one liners and severely skewed opinions?...well it's not...it's hard..damn hard..and I think I deserve a little more respect than the mocks I get around here....just watch out, I'm reading a new book.."To Kill A Mockingbird"....it's giving me some new ideas...
evillaugh.gif

cut out yards from branch, lloyd, and welker: 2410

Add last years yards as a baseline for jones/amendola/jenkins lets pretend that they don't get any better playing with brady as opposed to Fitzpatrick, Bradford, and ponder, all C level passers: 1558

We lost 900 yards of offense, Which means brady is still in line for a 3900 yard season. a 3900 yard season would have put brady just ahead of Joe, the super bowl winning QB, Flacco.

I think people need to steps back from the edge of the cliff. The patriot offense is fine with the pieces we currently have.

There's no direct 1:1 equivalent in receiving numbers, and the 3900 is meaningless as a result. However...

...Even going along with your numbers, 900 yards of offense lost from the WR position out of 2400 is a 38% decline and, furthermore, as I've shown before, if you take the Patriots games out of Donald Jones' season, he was a complete stiff. His two highest receiving games were against the Patriots, and he amassed 154 of his 443 yards (that's 35%) in those two games, despite them being only 17% of his games played for the season. For Jenkins, his 449 receiving yards was his lowest since 2007, despite his playing a full 16 games for the first time since 2008, and only his 2007 season had a lower ypc than he got last year. Looking at the data the way you laid it out actually look makes things worse with the new WRs, not better.

P.S. just a note, but your receiving numbers didn't include Stallworth's numbers, which means the numbers are 63 yards worse for the new guys.

There's no direct 1:1 equivalent in receiving numbers, and the 3900 is meaningless as a result. However...

...Even going along with your numbers, 900 yards of offense lost from the WR position out of 2400 is a 38% decline and, furthermore, as I've shown before, if you take the Patriots games out of Donald Jones' season, he was a complete stiff. His two highest receiving games were against the Patriots, and he amassed 154 of his 443 yards (that's 35%) in those two games, despite them being only 17% of his games played for the season. For Jenkins, his 449 receiving yards was his lowest since 2007, despite his playing a full 16 games for the first time since 2008, and only his 2007 season had a lower ypc than he got last year. Looking at the data the way you laid it out actually look makes things worse with the new WRs, not better.

P.S. just a note, but your receiving numbers didn't include Stallworth's numbers, which means the numbers are 63 yards worse for the new guys.

Oh well then lets just pick the numbers out from when welker put up massive numbers too because if we are going to pick and choose which games "count" then you have to be unbiased about it.

Also, Sorry I left off the numbers from a guy who caught a pass. not passes but a pass. just one. again my bad there.

900 yards lost isn't as big a deal as you think it is. and that 1:1 is a baseline. I full expect amendola to play every game and have 100 receptions this year, I expect jones to be closer to 600 yards, And i believe we will see someone else emerge as a legitimate outside guy.

Please stop reminding me of Wayne. After seeing him this past season and knowing what he could have done in this offense... ugh. Replace Lloyd with a 1300, 100 REC, guy-you-can-go-to receiver and maybe we win the championship.

I'm going to keep pretending he doesn't exist.

Oh well then lets just pick the numbers out from when welker put up massive numbers too because if we are going to pick and choose which games "count" then you have to be unbiased about it.

What are you talking about? If you take away 2 games against what was an absolutely horrible defense, Jones was horrible. He had 37% of his total yards in 2 games against the Patriots defense.

Also, Sorry I left off the numbers from a guy who caught a pass. not passes but a pass. just one. again my bad there.

When you're trying to make an argument about the numbers, and you're acting as if they're the end all and be all, getting them right is important.

900 yards lost isn't as big a deal as you think it is. and that 1:1 is a baseline. I full expect amendola to play every game and have 100 receptions this year, I expect jones to be closer to 600 yards, And i believe we will see someone else emerge as a legitimate outside guy.

900 yards is a huge deal, and you know full well that it is. 900 yards is more than Jones and Jenkins had [highlight]combined[/highlight] last season.

And you can expect Amendola to play every game, but he's only done it one year out of four.

which is why i used their numbers from last year as a baseline.

The way you are talking right now, we lost welker, and lloyd, and branch, and that one catch from stallworth. And we didn't replace them.

According to your logic, we have edleman and thats it. hes our only receiver. well we have slater but hes a special teams probowler, that's his bread and butter.

So yes, if you are going into the year with one wide receiver then yeah we are in some trouble.

OH wait, we are not. we have 3 new guys and their mediocre numbers from last year, are still good enough to make the patriots have top 10 offense numbers. watch out top 10 in offense, what a train wreck:bricks:

Meanwhile we have 3 CB most of which are injury plagued a defense that ranked 25th in yards allowed. Good teams walked all over us last year. we lost to both superbowl teams, one of them twice.

We have bigger issues then maintaining the number one offense in the league. we need to start STOPPING people

Has the annual "patriots will trade into top ten" rumor been leaked yet?

which is why i used their numbers from last year as a baseline.

The way you are talking right now, we lost welker, and lloyd, and branch, and that one catch from stallworth. And we didn't replace them.

According to your logic, we have edleman and thats it. hes our only receiver. well we have slater but hes a special teams probowler, that's his bread and butter.

So yes, if you are going into the year with one wide receiver then yeah we are in some trouble.

OH wait, we are not. we have 3 new guys and their mediocre numbers from last year, are still good enough to make the patriots have top 10 offense numbers. watch out top 10 in offense, what a train wreck:bricks:

Meanwhile we have 3 CB most of which are injury plagued a defense that ranked 25th in yards allowed. Good teams walked all over us last year. we lost to both superbowl teams, one of them twice.

We have bigger issues then maintaining the number one offense in the league. we need to start STOPPING people

You got pretty much everything wrong here, so there's that. Congratulations.

You got pretty much everything wrong here, so there's that. Congratulations.

I look forward to serving you a giant slice of humble pie during the next offseason.

You are going to eat so much of that pie that i fully expect you to be in a humble food coma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back