PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN (<---yes , I know) Comments on lack of big game experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every week since week one our defense has been improving, holding opposing offenses to less and less points. Also defensively we have only given up 3 point in the last 2 weeks. All other points were scored on the offense and special teams, a trend we will look to decrease this Sunday. I'm sure that stat won't last against you, but its fun to tout.

The Patriots have held opponents to 14 (jets), 14 (chargers), 7 (Bills), 13 (Cincy) and 17 (Cleveland).

The Cowboys have allowed 35 (35!), 20 (dolphins), 10 (Bears), 7 (Rams) and 24 (but really 3, against a rookie QB and Buffalo).

The Chargers, Cleveland and Cincy are all potentially POWERFUL offenses. You have faced 4 of the most feeble, anemic offenses in the NFL, and the Patriots are STILL better defensively than Dallas. In no way whatsoever can any sentient being suggest that the Cowboys defense is anything LIKE "better," let alone "light years" or whatever you said.

An amusing few threads, though. Thanks!

Remember also, that Harrison just returned last week and while Sanders is no slouch, he ain't no Harrison either.

I really think Dallas needs to focus on not turning the ball over. Belichick knows the key to stopping Romo is to pressure him constantly until he becomes an interception machine.

Last edited:
It's beyond laughable. Yeah, these guys have never sniffed a big/close game. Just that most of the defense has played in 3 Super Bowls that were each decided by three points.

In which sense of the word do Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, and Larry Izzo amount to "most" of the defense?

C'mon. Let's be fair about the defensive comparison.

The Patriots and Cowboys have had one common opponent -- the Bills. The Cowboys held the Bills' offense to a mere 3 points. The Patriots, however, gave up a huge 7. That's a whopping difference!! (Pay no attention to the missed Bills FG vs. Dallas.)

</sarcasm>

Yes, because 5-1 is weak... What will you do next call Romo a Homo? How bout try smart things like those bears fans, "Only things in Texas are steers and queers."

Looking for intellectual challenging football conversation. I respect the patriots, and its likely Cowboys can end up losing, but I don't see it as a blowout like the media does. Its also very likely the Cowboys might not even win their division its not as clear cut yet, but I don't think its plausible to say the Cowboys are a weak team.

I agree with you. The Cowboys have a very good team and will present a big challenge. I personally see a close game and a Dallas win wouln't surprise me. That said, I do still see the Pats as slight favorites especially as it's in Dallas.

In which sense of the word do Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, and Larry Izzo amount to "most" of the defense?

What, do we not include Include Rosie, Green, Warren, Wilfork, Gay, Samuel & Wilson as part of our Defense now???? I'm pretty sure they all played in a Super Bowl or another big game or two :rolleyes:

And that is JUST the defense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't AD first year in pads either, and he may have played a big game or two in Baltimore.

What a dumb argument.

Plaschke statement rang such truth that I didn't feel it needed justification.

Is it not true? I'm not a huge patriots fan as yourself, but how often has your team rallied from behind this year? When was the last time the patriots faced adversity? Was it the AFC Championship game where the colts rallied from a 21-6 deficit and ended up 32 points up in the 2nd half? I'm sorry if I don't recall the patriots glory days from 2 years ago.

wahahahahahaha. You sound so insecure! Why is that? It's not because deep down you know that we are a better team hands down is it?

Is it not true? I'm not a huge patriots fan as yourself, but how often has your team rallied from behind this year? When was the last time the patriots faced adversity? Was it the AFC Championship game where the colts rallied from a 21-6 deficit and ended up 32 points up in the 2nd half? I'm sorry if I don't recall the patriots glory days from 2 years ago.

No, it's not true. A great number of the starters have proven time and time again that they perform extremely well under pressure. How many times in the Brady era have the Patriots been behind in the 4th quarter by 7 points or less and actually lost compared to their wins in this same situation? I'll give you a clue - it's far and away the best percentage in the NFL.

The comment was ridiculously stupid. You haven't done yourself any favors by believing it, either. At least you have the excuse that you don't follow the Patriots and so just might have been unaware how well these Patriot players have done in pressure situations over the past years - although most of the world does seem to know.

And if Plaschke is justifying his claim because the Patriots have had 5 blowouts this year, it's still an equally stupid statement. Past history with these players shows exactly the opposite of what the statement claims and he wants to go on record that the Patriots will do badly in these situations based totally on a lack of evidence? Give me a break.

The Patriots have only punted 11 times, but in those punts they are ranked #30 in Net punting, 31.6, the Cowboys are 18th in Net punting, 36.9. AVG punting is a different story the Cowboys are #3 and the Patriots are #32, poor punting coverage explains this huge difference for the Cowboys.

I admit it - and I think the rest of the board will as well. The Cowboys (and just about every other NFL team) has the Patriots totally outclassed in the area of punters. You hit the nail on the head - this is truly a weakness of the Patriots. I don't understand why BB hasn't spent time addressing this during the past week, but maybe he will next week. Until then, we'll just have to hope as Patriot fans that punts will be few and far between (like they were the first 4 games of the year).

In no way whatsoever can any sentient being suggest that the Cowboys defense is anything LIKE "better," let alone "light years" or whatever you said.

Sentient. I like it! :)

What I find most remarkable about the Cowboy fan's' argument, is that he's trying to convince us that the Patriot's Buffalo blowout is less impressive than the 'Boys' come-from-behind victory in which their QB through more passes to the opposing team than to his own.

The silliest prediction here, I thought, was that the Cowboys would beat the Patriots by 17 points. They may win. They're a good team. It's a home game. But there's no way they beat the Patriots by 17 points.

We have experience in dealing with big games, every week is a big game.
That statement proves you have no experience in dealing with big games.
I think this game will be closer than most expect, if not Cowboys dominating by approximately 17 points.
And I think that by 5:30 Sunday evening, you will never be seen or heard from again in this forum.

It's true that the Patriots have not played big games? Yeah, Brady and the ENTIRE rest of the team have never been in a big game other than this one.

Your statement has to be the most idiotic statement in the history of this message board.

We have experience in dealing with big games, every week is a big game. Being a Cowboy guarantees that the opponents give 110%. The Bills gave an unbelievable effort, last week was their superbowl. Haven't been on prime time in 13 years. They arn't going anywhere this year, but if they can knock out the 4-0 Cowboys and ruin the Patriots 5-0 vs 5-0 "Duel in Dallas", they would love it. Not to mention the Superbowl losses and former coach revenge. It was a tough game but it was nice to rally.

Not only that the NFC east is one of the most competitive divisions so theres always pressure. Unlike being in a weak division...

Example, last year you were 0-2 vs the colts. We beat them, they came to our house 9-0 and were undefeated... That was a big game.

Your team is good I will admit that. I am not a homer. The Patriots offensive unit is better than the Cowboys, but the Cowboys offense is no laughing matter either. The Cowboys are ranked #1 in the NFL in yards, and Patriots are #2. I will give the benefit of doubt to the Patriots as they have historically proven themselves as the better, more consistent, team.

Defensively, as a unit, the Cowboys are light years better than the Patriots. Statistically, the Patriots allow the #2 least yards per game. The Cowboys defense is loaded with play makers and can be considered a top 5 defense. The NFL ranks the Cowboys as #8 but that is in regards to the yards allowed. But yards don't win games.

The Patriots have only punted 11 times, but in those punts they are ranked #30 in Net punting, 31.6, the Cowboys are 18th in Net punting, 36.9. AVG punting is a different story the Cowboys are #3 and the Patriots are #32, poor punting coverage explains this huge difference for the Cowboys. On Kick returns the Patriots are superior (the cowboys have allowed 2 kick returns for a TD).

I think this game will be closer than most expect, if not Cowboys dominating by approximately 17 points.

edit: Around the horn is a great show!

Another legendary brain dead post from the brokeboy.

The only thing lightyears better about the Cowboys is that you don't get 110% from opposing teams because you haven't won **** in 15 years.

Your facts are so backward that even responding is a waste of time.

Clearly, you know nothing whatever about football.

Um, they actually faced a 4th quarter deficit in SD the week before that and won a game they probably shouldn't have. Not only that, they were losing to the Bills after one quarter in Week 3 this season and ended up scoring the next 35 points.

This entire argument from Plaschke is flawed. Do you think teams sit on the sidelines and say, "We're in trouble because we haven't played a close game this year? All of our wins are by 17+ points." He should stick to writing his 5-word, 1-sentence paragraphs.

Your in the weakest division in football (combined 7-13) and have been playing weak teams (who experienced severe injuries early in the game while playing you Jamal Lewis, JP Losman, 2 Bengals Starting LBs). Can't blame him for questioning you...I expect him to get 10 bonus points on Monday's episode...
Hmmm.... criticizing our strength of schedule... a curious remark coming from a Cowboys fan... let's see... we have one common opponent, a team we beat by 31 points and you beat on a last second miracle onside kick that bounced off a Cowboys player's helmet to help set up the game winning FG...

We played the Jets, you played the Dolphins. Both team suck but the Jets beat the Dolphins, now didn't they..?

We played the Chargers, you played the Bears. Both teams are mediocre but the Chargers beat the Bears, now didn't they..?

Bottom line is this: NE's opponents' combined records are 7-17. Dallas' are 6-19. You guys are probably the last team in the NFL that should be criticizing our strength of schedule.

Last edited:
Ugh I never thought I'd miss Chargers fans. Is this site being linked through PFT what attracts so many termites every week?

espn has gone so far down hill in the last 10 years it's sick. around the horn ? they should just name it the "4 jackasses" and get it over with.

bill plaschke is woody paige is skip bayless is jay marriotti, except with a lisp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back