PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Stephon Marbury & Celtics interested in deal

Disco Volante

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
ESPN - Sources: Marbury, Celtics interested in deal

Nearly one year since Stephon Marbury last played in a regular-season game, signals are getting stronger that the New York Knicks' outcast will eventually make his comeback with the Boston Celtics.

That still depends largely on Marbury's ability to negotiate his release from the Knicks after weeks of fruitless and oft-contentious buyout talks, but sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.com this week that Boston is Marbury's preferred destination if he manages to become a free agent and that the Celtics are indeed hopeful of signing him.

Celtics general manager Danny Ainge did not immediately respond to a request for comment on a New Year's Day holiday for the entire league and has generally refused to address the possibility of signing Marbury. Yet it's believed that the Celtics' concerns about their depth, after losing James Posey and P.J. Brown from last season's title team, have swelled noticeably since they followed up the best 29-game start in NBA history at 27-2 by losing three of the next four games on the road.

I saw that article, right after I read the one where Garnett was mentoring Patrick. I have no problem with Celts getting Marbury. Garnett alone would keep him in his place. I read the Boston Globe religiously growing up and I don't remember another Boston athlete as intense as Garnett. Of course, in addition to Garnett you have two other highly influential players to 'counsel' Marbury. If he gets out of line after that, you cut him.
Marbury and a big man (Smith), and we are set.

I'm all for it. KG will keep him in check like scout said.

I saw that article, right after I read the one where Garnett was mentoring Patrick. I have no problem with Celts getting Marbury. Garnett alone would keep him in his place. I read the Boston Globe religiously growing up and I don't remember another Boston athlete as intense as Garnett. Of course, in addition to Garnett you have two other highly influential players to 'counsel' Marbury. If he gets out of line after that, you cut him.
Marbury and a big man (Smith), and we are set.

Indeed I also think that his contract will have numerous clauses for the team to cut him without pay, considering his past and present

i think its a decent move and its low risk but marbury is a douche bag. lets be honest.

Last edited:
as long as the deal is one year and one year only and it is not guaranteed and there is an opt out clause for acting like a moron.

I wonder what the contract would be, he’s making 20+ mill. A year to stay home and do nothing…….. can’t really beat that

Last edited:
Looking at it from Marbury's perspective.........well, what should be Marbury's perspective. Why wouldn't he jump at this opportunity. Playing with a team in which already has set an NBA record for most wins at a start of the season. Playing with three/four all stars. The best record in the NBA. An excellent chance to get a championship ring, and all the fixin's to go with that.
He won't be starting, but could play an important role, like first off the bench.

Why would the knicks buyout Marbury to let him go play for a conference rival? Can you put restrictions on a buyout, like limiting the bought out player for playing for a certain team for the rest of the season?

While Starbury is definitely a douche, after watching house the last week, and Doc's refusal to play Pruitt, they need someone decent to back up Rondo. If Starbury is fine as the PG backup, it makes sense for the team.

Why would the knicks buyout Marbury to let him go play for a conference rival? Can you put restrictions on a buyout, like limiting the bought out player for playing for a certain team for the rest of the season?

While Starbury is definitely a douche, after watching house the last week, and Doc's refusal to play Pruitt, they need someone decent to back up Rondo. If Starbury is fine as the PG backup, it makes sense for the team.

The Knicks know they aren't going to be competing with the Celtics any time soon. They just what him gone. If he comes here and is nothing less than a model citizen he'll be gone.

I don't care what team he goes to as long as he gets off the Knicks. I would rather keep losing than win (which we didn't when he played anyway) with that POS. He should have never made it into the season as a Knick.

And the Knicks are the league doormat...if they are worried about some rivalry that hasn't been relevent since the 70's or 80's they are freakin delusional.

That being said, if he goes to Boston and doesn't pull a Favre, you guys will likely be winning it all again.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back