Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnVM

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Link:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3415387

Teams with concerns for the 2010 uncapped year

1. New England Patriots As well-prepared as the Patriots are for almost anything, they do have to worry about an uncapped year. Tom Brady is signed through 2010, so they don't have to worry about him yet. Nor are the next two seasons cause for concern. They would have 19 of the 22 starters locked up for next season if linebacker Jerod Mayo wins a starting job as a rookie.

However, several players could qualify for free agency in 2010. Hardest hit could be New England's defense. Defensive linemen Richard Seymour, Jarvis Green and Vince Wilfork are up in 2010, as are linebackers Mike Vrabel and Tedy Bruschi.

Safety Rodney Harrison is in the last year of his contract.

The Patriots have one of the oldest starting defenses in football and it might be hard to find a lot of replacements in a limited free-agent market over the next two seasons. On offense, tight end Ben Watson could hit free agency in 2010. Guard Steve Neal is a free agent after this season.

Oh no! The crypt-keeper has written our eulogy. Shocking!

What a useless article. How does anyone know what any team will look like two years from now. This is a league where teams can go from last place to first place in a division (and visa versa) in one year.

Besides, all these free agents that are up in 2010, are the Patriots barred from offering them contracts before they become free agents?

It is doubtful they will get to an uncapped year. Even if they do, it is impossible to know who is in good shape or who is not. The Bears last year had pretty much the same team that went to the Super Bowl the year before. How did that work out for them?

Seymour. Green. Wilfork. Vrabel. Bruschi.

The only one who would be a huge loss in 2010 is Vince.

Bruschi will be retired. Vrabel will be 35. Seymour will be 31 but will have a lot of miles on him. Green is what he is.

Are Bill and Tommy going to be here ? Yes ? Then we'll be fine. Thanks for thinking of us.

BTW, weren't people predicting doom for the Patriots at the end of the 2002 season because they were too old on defense?

An uncapped team may loose a few players but will also be free to sign anyone they want and pay him whatever he wants.

Firstly...who said that Clayton really understands the ins and outs of the cap...if he doesn't his projections aren't even close...and while THAT is looking at things now, it's almost as if NOTHING will change in a few years time. Do you NOT think that if there is no CBA that teams will not do SOME things to be ready for that?
My sense is that this is just more Clayton's wish than anything of substance...(Miguel...what are YOUR thoughts on 2010?? I would trust his thoughts on this far more than this ESPN tool.)

Good ol' John Clayton.

I like the article because Clayton tends to use his knowledge and not his opinion. On television, ESPN probably encourages him to do more opinion journalism which takes away from his value. Isn't they what they have First and 10, Around the Horn and PTI?

Interesting facts:

- The teams in the conference championship will not be able to participate in free agency until they lose a player in free agency.

- Teams will be provided both a transition tag and franchise tag. This allows them to keep two of their free agent players.

- Players cannot be unrestricted free agents without six years of service (instead of four).

What do we make of all this?

I don't think we need to get ahead of ourselves. While the lack of a CBA presents a ton of clouds on the horizon (end of the college draft, uncontrolled spending, death of the NFLPA), I think assumptions are getting out of control. First, I wonder how many teams will be the "Yankees" of the NFL and which will be the "Marlins" of the NFL. I'm not looking for names, but I am making a point that not all teams are going to blow up the market with obscene contracts because there is no cap. A team like the 49ers, Lions and Cardinals may decide on a individual-team cap that is drastically lower than the current minimum. Then you have the Cowboys who might just shoot their payroll figures to the moon.

A correlation with MLB will be evident and it might not be all bad.

Tom Brady should be paid like ARod is being paid by the Yankees. Instead, Matt Ryan is going to make more than the three time Super Bowl winner. And before we get ahead of ourselves and worry that some team will swoop in and steal him with a load of cash, the fact is that the New England Pats would have no excuse (because there is no cap) to not spend the money on him if they wanted him on the team. And then there is the obvious situation that a player can go where there is interest and not only where there is money.

I look at a guy like Javon Walker who signed with the Raiders. I wouldn't think he wanted to go to the Raiders, but the Raiders had the cap room (I don't know how) and Walker needed to get paid. Many other teams lacked money, which made them lack interest.

And hold outs?

I will venture to guess that contract hold outs would be more of a thing of the past. This should be especially true for veteran players that stand to lose the most by this uncapped situation. This is only a guess as the teams will still have the franchise and tranisition tags that will cause havoc for the team/agent relationship. Then again, wouldn't the value of each tag go up?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/michael_lombardi/05/27/uncapped.strategy/1.html

Bruschi will be retired. Vrabel will be 35. Seymour will be 31 but will have a lot of miles on him. Green is what he is.
Are Bill and Tommy going to be here ? Yes ? Then we'll be fine. Thanks for thinking of us.

Ain't that the truth!!
Think they'll sign Vince before then. Big Dog will be 31 and coming up for a new contract so the next couple of years we'll see a motivated Seymour who will show up and play. IMO the Patriots will gladly let Big Dog go in 2010. Richard motivates for contracts and that's not the Patriots way. He's not worth the money we're paying him now. Can you imagine how some team will overpay for Big Dog in 2010? Be scary for them and good for us.

A little voice inside me says that the league and players union will not go into 2010 without some type of salary cap... imagine the big market teams with no cap and idiotic owners, see Redskins....

We're doomed!

Doomed I say!

Most of the Pats' player contracts expire in 2010-2011!

We're dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed!

Good ol' John Clayton.

Interesting facts:

- The teams in the conference championship will not be able to participate in free agency until they lose a player in free agency.

- Teams will be provided both a transition tag and franchise tag. This allows them to keep two of their free agent players.

- Players cannot be unrestricted free agents without six years of service (instead of four).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/michael_lombardi/05/27/uncapped.strategy/1.html

Check that - Teams will be provided with TWO transition tags and one franchise tag.

LOL This is the part of every Clayton article that really baffles me:

John Clayton, a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame writers' wing, is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I can't imagine the criteria.

So as long as Manning is around his beloved Colts will be fine. Funny how that works. Remind me which of the Colts and Patriots has a HC who now mulls retirement annually...John should keep these thoughts in mind when the Dungy HOF talk commences in another year or so.

The Chargers don't have a QB signed beyond 2009, but that's no problem since obviously they will lock him up between now and then or use the tag. Shucks, I guess we can't do that with Seymour or Wilfork or Green though, and if they walk we can't sign replacements...oh wait, under that scenario we could, and we have the revenue to...not to mention they haven't cancelled the next two drafts where I imagine we could use any picks we get stuck with if we lost a franchise or transition tagged player. Gotta love how the Bolts have that two year SB window in the interim too...that we don't???

Eagles are all set with three QB's signed through 2010, none of which they can count on to perform - but hey, they are signed...just like they were last year, and the year before....and that worked out swimmingly for the Eagles.

One of the funniest lines is his pondering what ever will Gruden will do at QB come 2010...'cause I would think that will depend where (or if) Chucky's coaching.

Besides the fact that I think at that point we'll be ready to move on from Seymour and perhaps even Vrabel if need be (it hurts to say), our owner isn't afraid to fork over cash to put out a winning team. If anything, aren't we more likely to retain these players in an uncapped scenario? They like playing here, they like winning, and our owner has the money to pay them.

wow, the cryptkeeper really hates u guys, but loves us! :cool:

Are we really the oldest defense? Other than our a couple of linebackers that are over 31, only Rodney is old. Everyone else is fairly young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back