ESPN Sando: Picture Steven Jackson with the Patriots next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATRIOTSFANINPA

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Picturing Steven Jackson with the Patriots - NFC West Blog - ESPN

Could the RB across the sidelines this weekend will be on our sidelines,next year?

I can't see the team looking at RB in the offseason,I think there is plenty of talent already there in Ridley,Vereen,Bolden and Woody,but Jackson seems like a Belichick guy and is nearing the other side of his career that Bill also looks for,also familiar with McDaniels .

I would look more on defense to spend money next year,Jackson is indeed worth salivating over but I would pass.

We've no need. Get us a dominating run blocker at RG maybe, sure.

Right now we've got this purported run game. I don't really see it. Defenses are just so scared of Brady they give us running room.

We need to run the ball against a defense expecting the run.

Picture the SB trophy with the PATRIOTS

tom-brady-super-bowl-trophy.jpg

I'd rather picture
A: A dominant safety (unlikely).
B: A dominant CB (unlikely)
C: A good impact player to play opposite Jones on the pass rush.
D: A WR that could replace Wes (if he indeed leaves after the end of this season).

With Ridley and Woodhead playing well, Bolden and Vereen showing potential, and Demps coming back next season, I don't see any room for Jackson. Hell, I'm not even sure if these 5 can all fit next year.

Interesting, instead of stockpiling TEs like theres no tomorrow, its on to the RB position.

We've no need. Get us a dominating run blocker at RG maybe, sure.

Right now we've got this purported run game. I don't really see it. Defenses are just so scared of Brady they give us running room.
We lead the NFL in rushing attempts at over 35 per game. If that doesn't get a D to care about the run, none ever will.

We need to run the ball against a defense expecting the run.

Why wouldn't we throw against a defense expecting the run?

Last edited by a moderator:
Price aside, I'd imagine this move would only make sense to the Patriots if Vereen were to fail this year. Woodhead, Bolden and Ridley seem to have established themselves, and I can't imagine Demps not getting a real shot next season, assuming his leg heals properly and his speed returns. Because of Jackson's age, and the miles on his tires, I'd imagine the team would stick with the youth, all things being equal, even if Jackson was still the best RB of the group in their eyes.

Last edited:
What's the point? I'd rather veteran players on D than the O.

In a vacuum, sure, I'd like him, but for the money it would take to get him, I'd much rather that it was instead directed toward the secondary or the OL.

We lead the NFL in rushing attempts at over 35 per game. If that doesn't get a D to care about the run, none ever will.

Why wouldn't we throw against a defense expecting the run?

Because when we have the ball with less than 5 minutes to go and a one score lead we need to be able to run the clock out, and the most effective way to do it is handing the ball off, 2004 style. The problem is, that's exactly what opposing defenses expect in that spot, so if you are unable to be successful on the ground in these occasions, odds are you'll put the offense on 3rd and long situations, which makes it more likely that the team will have to punt, thus giving the opponent a shot to come back to tie/win it as the game winds down. Sound familiar?

I think we're fine at RB, probably won't be worth the pricetag unless he's willing to take a discount. Ridley, Bolden, Vereen and Woodhead/Demps at the price we have them, don't see any reason to modify that.

Because when we have the ball with less than 5 minutes to go and a one score lead we need to be able to run the clock out, and the most effective way to do it is handing the ball off, 2004 style. The problem is, that's exactly what opposing defenses expect in that spot, so if you are unable to be successful on the ground in these occasions, odds are you'll put the offense on 3rd and long situations, which makes it more likely that the team will have to punt, thus giving the opponent a shot to come back to tie/win it as the game winds down. Sound familiar?

Exactly. You're not a real running team unless you can run against a team that is expecting it.

You're not impressed when an offense that is stringing together successful runs uses play action with great success; it's expected. Doesn't make them an excellent passing team.

Why would you call a team that relies on the same idea to run well a good running team?

Probably the 1st or 2nd best beast runner in the game. Also running behind a crappy OL. I would think the Jets, GB (no run game), or DEN would be a better fit. But, I don't think he will go for that much at 29.
GB would be smart to take a look at him. It would certainly help them late in the season on those cold winter bears games.

Last edited:
It's not the age so much as the number of hits he has taken that makes me think there's no tread left on the tires and he's about to hit the wall (if he hasn't already).

Running backs tend to drop off really fast after too much use - e.g., Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, etc.; guys that remain productive like Curtis Martin are the rare exception. Way too many years with 300+ touches to make it worthwhile to trade for him, or pay his salary.

Steven Jackson NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

We don't need a RB, we need decent CBs and Safeties.

We don't need a RB, we need decent CBs and Safeties.

Judging by Belichick's history,what fans feel a need of position,Bill just keeps stockpiling on another position that appears full.

Never try and predict what Belichick will do....it will drive you insane.

first off, we have a young corps of RB's that is extremely good, we dont need a RB period

second jackson has had enough, so we especially dont need this rb

we all know that the pats have 4 good young RB's one of them should be in the pro bowl this year and jackson wont be and if thats not a nuff reason not to spend big money on a RB Sebastian Vollmer and wes welker are both FA's this offseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes