PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN/Reiss/PFT: Moss and Patriots agree on 3-year, $27M deal [mergedx9]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Reiss now says MOSS DEAL IMMINENT

It's not a steal, it's the highest paid AAV ala Harrison. The real test will be the guarnatees. Marvin only got $6M up front, but he got $19M more in roster bonus in the first 2 seasons of his deal - which was a 7 year deal. If Moss just gets $12-13M we were hearing, then it is a steal because he could be cut for $4M+ in dead cap in year 3 with hits of like 7-9-11. But it certainly is reasonable if he continues to be remotely as productive as he was in 2007.

You have to look at % of the cap allotted to the player. If these numbers are true, the fact the contract is for only 3 years, decreasing the Patriots' risk, is itself a tremendous bargain. This is a player coming off the league TD record still in his prime at only 31, for a WR. The AAV of less than 10 million is less than Owens got last season at a more advanced age, and in the current climate with salary cap escalation is a tremendous deal for the pats. Harrison got his deal at age 35. Moss deserves more credit than you are giving him.

Last edited:

I said it last year when we traded for Moss and I will say it again now that it seems as though he is going to Stay, We will go 19-0 next year. :rocker:

I mean this seriously: I NEVER doubted Moss would be signed after '07 because during training camp last summer I bought a Randy Moss T-shirt from the Patriots pro shop (the one with his grinning face). At that point the team already was pushing Randy's superstar status, they knew what they had before the season even started. No way was he going to be one and done. :snob:

Seriously.

Not to be a jerk about this, but if he's now getting 3 / $27 after several days of negotiations and shopping around, the Pats initial offer must have been even lower, in which case, IMO, they were low-balling him. Thankfully both sides seem to have worked everything out.

It is a good thing that your opinion was based on nothing factual. The night before FA began it was reported that Moss and NE agreed on a 3 yr 30 mil contract. Then we heard 5yr 50 mil. So how is that low balling?

Now Reiss reports that the two sides had agreed on 3 yr 27 million days ago but couldn't come to terms on guaranteed money.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Maybe you should do some research before accusing the Pats of "low balling", but then again that might be asking to much from people around here!

Bernard Berrian, who couldn't hold Moss's jock, got a six-year, $42 million contract with $16 million guaranteed and he's never had a 1,000 yard season in his life.

And we just re-signed one of the 3 best Wide Receivers ever, in his prime, for most likely LESS guaranteed money, less overall risk and a slightly higher AAV???

Yeah, in Bioli I Trust. Damned skippy. These guys are amazing.

Re: Moss reported to have agreed to $27 Million over 3 years

Radio station here in Jax with Tony Boseli reported that Moss signed and it is 9 mil a year. They were talking about in length because everyone here wanted them to sign Moss last year... and then this year.

Bernard Berrian, who couldn't hold Moss's jock, got a six-year, $42 million contract with $16 million guaranteed and he's never had a 1,000 yard season in his life.

And we just re-signed one of the 3 best Wide Receivers ever, in his prime, for most likely LESS guaranteed money, less overall risk and a slightly higher AAV???

Yeah, in Bioli I Trust. Damned skippy. These guys are amazing.

So do I. Thing people need to understand is guaranteed money is partially tied to length of contract. We did give Seymour a lot, $18M on a $30M extension, but it also was able to be spread over 4 years because it was added to the final year of his rookie deal. AD got $20M on a 5 year $35M deal, but again that's because part of it is in advance of out years he may not see and it can be spread over them. If Berrian doesn't work out and he's cut after 3 years all he may see is $16M. Randy will likely see close to that in 2.

Just read it on PFT as well.

Its on the Globe too.

According to Rotoworld, they had long ago agreed on the terms and the sticking point was the guaranteed $$. Pats upped that to get it signed.

It's on the ticker on NFLN as "NEWS". I assume it being there this is a done deal.

Funny aside-- they had Asante signing with the Eagles listed too. But they had "Asante Samuels" written. I don't understand why it's so hard for people to realize his name doesn't end with an "s," but now that he's not our guy I think it's kinda funny.

Gay signed with the Saints too. Haven't read through all the posts to see if that's up yet.

It is a good thing that your opinion was based on nothing factual. The night before FA began it was reported that Moss and NE agreed on a 3 yr 30 mil contract. Then we heard 5yr 50 mil. So how is that low balling?

A lot of things have been reported that have likely no basis in reality. Do you really think Culpepper and Moss were talking about a big reunion, for instance?

Now Reiss reports that the two sides had agreed on 3 yr 27 million days ago but couldn't come to terms on guaranteed money.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Maybe you should do some research before accusing the Pats of "low balling", but then again that might be asking to much from people around here!

Reiss just posted that "research" after I posted my comment. Maybe instead of being a self-righteous prick, you could present the information in a civilized manner. Or is that too much to ask of people around here? :rolleyes:

It's official - on NFL Network now.

AYOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Does anyone has a link that says he's actually SIGNED though.................

You have to love how dumb everyone looks now. With all the sources that Moss was unhappy, talking to Culpepper, etc. They were close the whole time.

ESPN sucks. I'm glad their coverage is starting to reflect that. They have no credibility with me at all.

Does anyone has a link that says he's actually SIGNED though.................

It's on the bottom ticker on the NFL Network in flashing red text. It's official.

:rocker::rocker::rocker:

A lot of things have been reported that have likely no basis in reality. Do you really think Culpepper and Moss were talking about a big reunion, for instance?

Reiss just posted that "research" after I posted my comment. Maybe instead of being a self-righteous prick, you could present the information in a civilized manner. Or is that too much to ask of people around here? :rolleyes:

I'm not privy to their conversations so I wouldn't know. But feel free to clue us in.

Right, but the original leak was 3 yr 30 mil, then it was 5 yr 50 mil and then it is reported at 3yr 27 mil and you jump to a BS conclusion that the Pats in your opinion were low balling him up to this point. First you have nothing to base your opinion on and secondly all of the reported evidence (even before I posted my "research") contradicts your thought process.

I'll keep being a self righteous prick either until I finally bring myself to leave this board or until it returns to what it once was. The best Pats board around with the most knowledgable and level headed fans around, who actually spent time talking x's and o's instead of running around like a bunch of chicken little's!

Please refrain from the personal insults....

Also, he's correct, none of us know that NE was actually trying to give Randy a "lowball" deal. It actually seems more likely they were offering him something similar to the numbers currently being thrown around.

Last edited:

He agreed to it hours ago according to everything I read, nothing has said he's actually SIGNED it yet.

Seriously.

Not to be a jerk about this, but if he's now getting 3 / $27 after several days of negotiations and shopping around, the Pats initial offer must have been even lower, in which case, IMO, they were low-balling him. Thankfully both sides seem to have worked everything out.

I think the whole of the board would be more civil if they would not assume that they know just exactly what has been said, offered, or discussed between the Patriots and Moss behind the closed doors they work in.

Maybe the Patriots made this offer from the get-go and Moss wanted more (and hasn't found it from someone else). Maybe the Patriots offered him 4 mil a year and it took Moss threatening to go elsewhere to get them to raise their offer. Maybe... maybe... maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about (just like most of you) and am only working off of hasty assumptions.

Difference is I can admit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back