PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Ranks Chandler Jones the 4th best rookie and best defensive rookie of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
going to go with 36 1/2 sacks

He'd have to be like the Waterboy!

But expanding on my previous post, I think equally as valuable as sacks would be how many deflections he gets. With his freakishly long arms, if he can develop an instinct for disrupting the passing lanes, he could get a half dozen knock downs or tips at the line. Aside from the obvious prevention of a completion, those have a high chance of being intercepted.

I do agree that Coples seems stronger inside than outside. It will definitely serve him better to play inside until he gets more polished.

In response to your points:

1.) DeVito is a far better run defender (one of the more underrated ones in the league). I can't see Ryan and Pettine sitting DeVito on first downs (and a lot of second downs) in favor of Coples at this point. The one caveot is that DeVito is currently battling an injury and they may let Coples start until DeVito is 100%.
2.) The Jets' run defense is strong. One player alone can affect that all that much unless they run right at him (like on the play where the Giants ran right at him at the 3rd and 3 play and pushed him back three yards).
3.) I don't remember that play specifically. I could be wrong. But it was a trend this preseason where he would burst through the line and run the wrong direction. It is correctable with some coaching and experience, but he does need more polishing on his pass rush to increase his awareness of the QB.

Yeah I think DeVito gets the lions share of rushing downs unless the season falls apart in which case you go with trial by fire for the rookies. DeVito is in the last year of his contract which makes me thing he wont be back. I think you will see a similar rotation with Sione Pouha and Kenrick Ellis. Pouha is really a 2 down player. Ellis nobody knows, but in brief glimpses he will disrupt a pocket far more than Pouha.

In terms of run game I think when you have the inexperience on the field it ends up hurting in other phases. Last year Mo Wilkerson had his struggles with setting the edges and being in the right position. That puts alot more pressure on Calvin Pace, David Harris, and Bart Scott and can force players to cheat a little to help out. Wilkerson got better as the year went on but it was a clear downgrade from Shaun Ellis the prior two years.

The one thing that I am always worried about with a young pass rusher is that overpursuit of the QB. Once teams realize they start screening you to death or, if the QB is more athletic, just tricking you into taking yourself out of the play. Going back to Abraham he would be in business for himself half the time. I can still remember one play against the Miami Dolphins where his only responsibility was to contain and cover the man out of the backfield, which he did until he saw Jay Fiedler start rolling away from him. He took off like a freight train for Fiedler at which point Fiedler turned around, lobbed the ball over Abes head to his runner, and the Dolphins had their linemen all out there for a planned screen. Ricky Williams just walked into the end zone from about the 15 yard line. He pretty much did that the first 4 or 5 years of his career. I can definitely see Coples doing that if he is given any responsibility besides "go get em".

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes