Welcome to PatsFans.com

ESPN Radio: Brady's right & Polian backpeddling

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATSNUTme, Jan 6, 2006.

1. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

Listening to ESPN radio on the way to a clients this morning.

Mike Golic said the Brady was right about the lack of respect. He said that the media had the Patriots dead and buried at mid season. Defending Champs should always be respected until they are eliminated, and the Patriots were not being respected.

They also had Bill Polian on. He said that the Colts don't have to make it to the SB or win it to be considered a great team. Sounds as if he's giving himself an out if they don't make it. I thought that they had said that they would accept nothing else but a trip to the SB.:confused:
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +37 / 2 / -3

#24 Jersey

In Polian's mind the Colts have probably been more sucessful than the Patriots the last two years. The Colts need to win it to be considered great - and if they do, it's a great SEASON not a great TEAM. A great team wins multiple times, unless he's undervaluing the definition of great.
  3. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

no surprise

Polian's so desparate for his colts to be considered great it's pathetic.
    He's constantly making a fool of himself trying to hard to effect things so they will be thought of that way. He just comes across as over-anxious and deparate. What he needs to do is just build them into a team that gets it done. You can't talk people into respect. It comes with results.
    I think the guy is just a dope and it shows.
  4. RoadGrader

RoadGrader Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I agree............

Attached Files:

5. Fanfrom1960

Fanfrom1960 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

Polian will be backpedaling from that backpedaling, or saying it was taken out of context. Who would care about a 14 - 2 season, or whatever, without a SB win, after all the beatings they've taken from the Patriots.
  6. CTPatsFan

CTPatsFan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Polian's comments are total bull shtein. The Dolts NEED to win this year if they have any hope of maintaining their (premature) "greatness."

If they don't win the SB this year, they may take over the perceived choke mantle from Buffalo (although I think that making it to 4 SB in a row is pretty impressive).
  7. spacecrime

spacecrime Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Very impressive.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2006
  8. ClosingTime

ClosingTime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Golic and Brady are full of shiite.
    First off, in the beginning of the season the Pats struggled and had major problems in their secondary, as well as playing good teams. Was everyone just supposed to stick their heads in the sand and pretend that they were playing well even after getting detroyed?
    If that is the case, this messageboard was a source of the most egregious disrespect in tearing apart the teams deficiencies.
    Second, only an idiot would have claimed, and I don't recall anyone even saying this, that the Pats would miss the playoffs. Most rationally said that the Pats had big concerns in the secondary but that they'd make it into the playoffs and again be a very dangerous team. There was never, ever, ever any doubt that the Pats would win the crappy AFC East.
    Third, I fail to understand why people find it so easy to overlook the strength of the opposition. When most on here and in Boston were freaking out early in the seasonabout a 4-4 record, to me that record wasn't bad considering. It's very tough to have back-to-back games against good teams. Conversely, now people are blowing way too much smoke up the Pats asses for their latest streak in which they beat the dregs of the league, one playoff team from the JV conference and got their asses handed to them by KC.
    Glad people are finally wising up to Brady's nonsense. He cried wolf (disrespect) one to many times.
  9. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

and also...

don't forget the vikings.

they won 9 division titles in 10 years under bud grant,
    and made it to 4 super bowls during that time and lost them all!

div titles
    1969 - lost super bowl

1973 - lost super bowl
    1974 - lost super bowl
    1976 - lost super bowl

they are the only team that's more than 20 games over .500 all-time, but has never won a world championship!
  10. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0

#75 Jersey

If you made any valid points, I would debate them with you.
  11. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

I heard many media members, making predictions early on, and most of them didn't even bring up the pats because they weren't winning. I think Bardy's point is, given their injuries and schedule, and more importantly their past history of resiliancy, he felt they should've never been counted out, even when they were starting slow, and I agree with him. You seem anxious to shoot that down. If you follow the Pats, you know they weren't being considered a threat in the first half. That's disrespect when your the two-time defending champs, especially when you consider each time they win, they surprise the media types. You may be sick of hearing about it, and yes, the pats respect level has gone up, but it continues to be lower than their track record suggests it should be, and I think that's because they are not glamourous or highly impressive (ie - blowouts) when they win. IN fact that's part of how they win - people don't really understand how they are doing it, so they keep faling prey to it. they think they unmderstand, but they really don't completely get what's going on. It's ok, the pats will just keep benefitting from it. we may not win it all again this year, but we'll win some more in the coming years and solidify this dynasty into something remarkable.
  12. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

It's nice to see some limited sense in one of your posts (item three before you wandered off into blowing smoke), however; there were pundits such as Jaworski who felt the Pats would not make the playoffs - I have no idea how he calculated that, but it was one of the topics discussed here - please note that he was not alone in his pronouncments of doom. If the team feels they were disrepectfully bashed by fans and pundits, it's only because there were a number of articles dismissing them and being critical of individuals unjustly - there was a Wrong Borges piece in the Glob [sic] this morning that took a cheap shot at a player who spent most of the season playing with a bum shoulder, and he did a pretty good job when I broke down the tapes to see who did what. Life is unfair, the Steelers have to play the Bengals if they want a chance to beat the Colts - sucks to be a playoff team, eh?

What I want to know: when Pittsburgh plays the Colts, can one of our favorites Price/Reiss/Curran etc. be in the press box to monitor Polian's outbursts. A sacrifice to not be in Denver with the team, but a treat for those of us who don't respect Polian's greatness.
  13. Tony Collins

Tony Collins Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

So, because the Patriots were 4-4 and giving up an average of 37 points a game, and then they still have beaten only 3 teams with winning records, while losing 6; and in those games they have been totally outplayed on both sides of the ball (Brady apologists are aghast, but they were outscored an average of 31-19 in those games) the media was disrespecting them?

You have to give credit to Patriot fans for at least possessing the craziest logic.
  14. ClosingTime

ClosingTime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Who was counting anyone in or out in the beginning of the season? Do you mean the Pats should have still been #1 in everyone's idiotic power rankings? Or that people shouldn't say that a 8-0 Colts team that detroyed the Pats were the favorite to win the SB? Even after that ass-whooping many said, 'well, we'll see what happens in the plaoffs between NE and Colts' and referenced(regretably for me) the Steelers-NE game last year.
    Pats are 3rd in odds to wih the SB and only not #2 because you need to have an NFC team in there. How the hell is that disrespect?
    Brady really needs a new pair of panites. His are dirty.
    I thought BB would at least shy away from such nonsense.
    I, along with many others, had more respect for both of them a week ago.
  15. SamBam39

SamBam39 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

your wrong. and your way too bitter about it.
    early on, yes it's too early to know, but people still talk about who they consider the teams that have a chance to go to the super bowl. again, we're not claiming the pats were doing great or should've been adored despite their record. but they played 6 or 7 extremely powerful teams - in a row! many on the road, and they lost harrison and light in one of the earliest of those games. We're just saying the pats should've still been considered a threat to bounce back at thet time, but they were dismissed. it wasn't until they DID bounce back and get people healthy and win a few in a row, that people started counting them in again. yes, colts fans may not have counted them out, but the national media wasn't mentioning them at all when talking about playoff threats. you disagree and attack brady all you want, if you were a pats fan you would've seen what we saw and you know it was true. if you don't believe it, no big whoop, suffice to say, it's just another way the pats will pump themselves up - nothing wrong with that! what - you never heard any other team pump themselves up over issues you didn't think were that big of a deal? football is played best with passion, and if a team can stir up some passion, no matter how they do it, it's only gonna benefit them on the field. put your energies toward debating something worthwhile, like what you think the keys are for the colts to beating the pats. harping on brady is just homerism.
  16. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

The major problems in their secondary was injuries.

Actually, there were several pundits who picked the JETS to win the division before the season started and several who thought it would be LUCK for the Pats to make even the wildcard because of the losses they had prior to the start of the season. It seems that you've had your head in the sand if you missed that.

Since you missed it, the Bucs came out of a very tough NFC South Conference. But, far be it from you to acknowledge that. Also, far be it from you to acknowledge that the Bills upset the Bengals (who still had PLENTY to play for at the time.)

BTW, The Pats were very much in the game against KC. And it was mistakes by the Patriots that cost them that game. But, why focus on reality when you have your fantasies.
  17. Harrison37

Harrison37 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

BLOWsing Time's posts are as uninformed and lame as they have always been.

I wish there was an ignore function on this board.
  18. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

More lies from the Pats fan wannabe. The Pats were NEVER giving up an average of 37 points this year. When they were 4-4, the Pats had given up an average of 27.5.

You have to give3 credit to Patriot Haters for possessing the ability to be able to figure out how to use the internet.
  19. maxhagen

maxhagen Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Not an exact quote, but pretty much the same thing... and exactly what I expected from a TROLL.
  20. T-ShirtDynasty

T-ShirtDynasty Moderator

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

Here you go.

And while we're at it, for good measure.

:D Just tryin' to help.
  21. ClosingTime

ClosingTime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Hey, I was the one on here when you all were in doom in gloom mode and predicted way back in mideseason that the Pats would only lose to KC and that was it.
    Jets were the only team that was seen as a threat this year to the AFC East but but that all ended when Pennington went down. That is ancient history.
    Funny that you talk about a tough schedule in the beginning but ignore the cupcakes the rest of the way.
    I did mention Tampa as a decent win but it's nothing to feel great about. The entire NFC, with the possible exception of Seattle, suck big donkey balls.
    You're delusional if you think the Pats were in the KC game. "It was our mistakes" claim is silly. Yeah, if you guys didn't make the mistake of not defending the run or pass and didn't throw the INTs maybe they would have won. Guess it was just a lucky day for KC.
    Brady and BB care way too much about what sports writers say. This is ironic as they often claim not to care what they say. Hmmmm.
    Harrison37, you bring so much to this board. We'd all sorely miss your one-sentence posts about nothing.
  22. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

ClosingTime -
    Its clearly obvious you didn't actually watch the game. The only reason that the Chiefs won the game was Brady and the receivers giving up the interceptions. I blame both because 3 of the 4 interceptions went off receivers hands. The 4th was clearly overthrown by Brady. Without those interceptions, the Patriots are in the game. Would the outcome have been different? Probably. Can I say for sure what it would have been? Nope. I am not Nostrodamus.

Now, as for your assessment of the NFC, this just shows you haven't actually watched many of their games either.
  23. ClosingTime

ClosingTime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

REgarding your argument about the KC game I'll simply say that if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.
    So you think the NFC is strong? That's what you are saying for the record.
    Me, I don't think any of those teams, except Seattle and maybe the Giants are even in the top 10 teams in the league.
    All 6 AFC playoff teams, Seattle, SD, KC, Giants.
  24. workhorse

workhorse Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

When did the disrepect card become so popular? Everyone seems to be playing it around the league. Even if the Pats were being "direspected" earlier in the year, they haven't been lately. They were one of the few late season stories, especially after the Colts had their first loss. Everyone has been talking about the roll that the Pats and Steelers have been on heading into the playoffs. The Pats have the second best odds behind the Colts to win the Super Bowl. Not to mention that nearly everyone outside of Jacksonville thinks they are going to beat the Jags this weekend. It just seems to me that this should be a non-issue by now.
  25. ClosingTime

ClosingTime Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Pats (10-6) -8 vs Jags (12-4). The horror. The Pats should be a least favored by 27. Don't people know what the Pats have done!!!!!!
  26. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

People who think that the ODDS mean anything are hilarious. Truly hilarious. The ODDS mean NOTHINGl. Because they have nothing to actually do with the game. They have more to do with Vegas trying to get the most money possibly out of the bettors.
  27. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

Typical quote from someone who can't stand the facts being used.

Actually, I think that the NFC is stronger than you are giving them credit for. I am sorry that you can't understand the difference.

Now, as for who the top 10 teams are, how can you consider KC and SD to be there? SD will be there next year, but not this year. And I think you are totally disrespecting Carolina, Washington, and Tampa.
  28. NE_Paddy

NE_Paddy Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Ok, I think people are missing a number of valid points.

First off, while we went 4-4 to start the season, there were any number of really good things to take from that section. Not least of which is the win over Pittsburgh.

Has everybody forgotten Brady's perfect 4th quarter? Just read what Peter King (by a mile the best writer around) said about the game in SI.

Just because we had a mixed record that half of the season, doesn't mean we should write it off.

But what we were missing in that section was some consistency and a big defense.

Then came Tedy....

Then came Sey....

Then came.....

A shut out of Tampa Bay. WE SHUT THEM OUT.

Our defense was swarming at the end of the year.

Playing exactly the way they need to come a date in the RCA.

Our season has been completely different to the Colts.

We have needed the 16 games to get our various units on track and working together.

I could see that. Most people could see that, but some didn't want to.

The Colts have had their team healthy most of the year, they approached it differently, and with a lot of success (so far).

But now we're rolling.

Now we've worked out most if not all of the bugs.

The Colts are rolling too, ditto the Steelers.

It's primed.

We're ready.

#12, #54, and BB are ready.

Our season starts here!

Let me say this once....

I DO NOT WANT TO GET TO THE SUPER BOWL WITHOUT BEATING THE BEST TEAMS IN GREAT GAMES WHERE THE BEST PLAYERS PLAY AT THE TOP OF THEIR GAME.

Anything less and I'd feel cheated.

Here we go...

Another classic playoff series....

CAN I GET AN AMEN???!!!!!!!

Did I go off point?
  29. DaBruinz

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -1

#50 Jersey

Gotta love people who think that the Odds mean anything and try to use that as an argument that it shows respect.... Here's a hint for you. All that it shows is that alot of people were putting money on the Pats and not the Jags and that Vegas wanted more betting on the Jags.
  30. workhorse

workhorse Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well even if you feel that way, the Pats are getting respect from Vegas. Odds makers aren't going to set a line that is going to lose them money. Not to mention the fact I was just using it to illustrate a point. BTW, the Jags are 100 to 1 to win it all.