PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN QB depth ratings.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

stcjones

Pro Bowl Player
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Anyone catch show today on ESPN where they were going over where teams rated in top 25 (I believe it was) for QB depth. Surprise, surprise Tom Brady and Matt Cassels were ranked #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Even Salisbury was gushing over Tom I couldn't believe it........in second.....Peyton.....of course.....what a load of horsesh##......his backup (who's name I would never remember) looked awful in his fill in role last year during playoffs....while Cassels looked brilliant. How they could put his holiness in #2 is beyond me........They also gushed over Rottenburger and kept referring to the "youngest QB" to ever to lead his team to the SB......made me sick.....yeah......always seem to forget to mention the 22% QB rating he had (2nd lowest in NFL history) that he had in last years embarrassment of a SB.........anyways...anyone else see it....good to see our boys get some props.....

It is nice to get props, but I just wonder if we really are #1 in QB Depth. That is quite a leap of faith in Cassell. I think he has lots of potential, but I am surprised to hear that ESPN likes him that much. Salisbury has been really nice to Brady as time goes on. Salisbury has turned into a supporter of the team, especially for a former Colt Qb. He only pissed me off back in 2002, as far as covering the Pats.

Rothburger is ungodly overrated. He is unproductive and an idiot.

Last edited:
Well, I think the one and two in this list was not really based much on the depth. I think with niether of these two quarterbacks sitting unless the coach tells them too, looking at the back-ups is not much help. But undeniably these are the two best in the leauge and therefore make the top of the list. You would think that a team like Detriot would have a much higher ranking given that it has pretty decent depth, but with nothing special at the top, they still fall.

Both the back-ups right now are unknowns, but who is really worried. If either of these guys go down thier team will in trouble if it is for more then a few games.

stcjones said:
Anyone catch show today on ESPN where they were going over where teams rated in top 25 (I believe it was) for QB depth. Surprise, surprise Tom Brady and Matt Cassels were ranked #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Even Salisbury was gushing over Tom I couldn't believe it........in second.....Peyton.....of course.....what a load of horsesh##......his backup (who's name I would never remember) looked awful in his fill in role last year during playoffs....while Cassels looked brilliant. How they could put his holiness in #2 is beyond me........They also gushed over Rottenburger and kept referring to the "youngest QB" to ever to lead his team to the SB......made me sick.....yeah......always seem to forget to mention the 22% QB rating he had (2nd lowest in NFL history) that he had in last years embarrassment of a SB.........anyways...anyone else see it....good to see our boys get some props.....

You are complaining that the Colts got #2 with Sorgi while the Pats got #1 with Cassel, Mortensen and Bramlet when this is supposed to be a rankings of overall depth charts?" That makes a lot of sense. Cassel played in one meaningless game last year and hasn't started since high school. I think Brady is #1 but overall #1 was quite generous in my opinion. Man, even when the media gives the Patriots props, people still find a way to cry about it. The Colts have every right to be second if the Patriots are first because both teams are in the exact same boat.

Here's what they (Salisbury, Schlereth, Golic) had at RB :

1 - Chargers
2 - Chiefs
3 - Seahawks
4 - Faclons
5 - Giants
6 - Redskins
7 - Bengals
8 - Saints
9 - Panthers
10 - Buccaneers
11 - Steelers
12 - Ravens
13 - Broncos

14 - Patriots

15 - Dolphins
16 - Vikings
17 - Bears
18 - Cardinals
19 - Rams
20 - Cowboys
21 - Bills
22 - Texans
23 - Jets
24 - Browns
25 - Jaguars
26 - Colts
27 - Titans
28 - Raiders
29 - Lions
30 - Packers
31 - Eagles
32 - 49ers

And SportsNation's Top 10:

1 - Seahawks
2 - Chargers
3 - Chiefs
4 - Saints
5 - Giants
6 - Redskins
7 - Steelers
8 - Cardinals
9 - Falcons
10 - Broncos

Last edited:
1 - Chargers
2 - Chiefs
3 - Seahawks
4 - Faclons
5 - Giants
6 - Redskins
7 - Bengals
8 - Saints
9 - Panthers
10 - Buccaneers
11 - Steelers
12 - Ravens
13 - Broncos

14 - Patriots

Are they doing depth or overall talent? If it's depth, the Patriots must win hands down. If it's talent then that ^ looks OK, we should be higher, but nothing too bad as Dillon is coming off a bad year, and is aging, and Maroney is unproven.

I doubt that they are looking at the offensive lines when they are talking about runningbacks.

It makes sense to add the offensive line with the rb's...but...I doubt that they were doing this.

The Edge is on his downward spiral, still has some left though...Marcel Shipp could have had a decent career in my opinion...their rookie from last year looks really soft Arrington I think his name is...

It'll be interesting to see what the Texans running game will be like this year. I have a feeling that Dom Davis will be a sleeper killer for fantasy football. Ya know...since Kubiak will probably do what the badonkadonks usually pull with their offensive line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry Glenn is a cowgirl said:
I doubt that they are looking at the offensive lines when they are talking about runningbacks.

It makes sense to add the offensive line with the rb's...but...I doubt that they were doing this.

The Edge is on his downward spiral, still has some left though...Marcel Shipp could have had a decent career in my opinion...their rookie from last year looks really soft Arrington I think his name is...

It'll be interesting to see what the Texans running game will be like this year. I have a feeling that Dom Davis will be a sleeper killer for fantasy football. Ya know...since Kubiak will probably do what the badonkadonks usually pull with their offensive line.

I think they were, since I remember them mentioning Hutchinson when talking about the Seahawks.

Wow, #1 at qb depth? I could think of quite a few backup qbs that I would rather have on our team right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude......

I'm Ron Borges? said:
You are complaining that the Colts got #2 with Sorgi while the Pats got #1 with Cassel, Mortensen and Bramlet when this is supposed to be a rankings of overall depth charts?" That makes a lot of sense. Cassel played in one meaningless game last year and hasn't started since high school. I think Brady is #1 but overall #1 was quite generous in my opinion. Man, even when the media gives the Patriots props, people still find a way to cry about it. The Colts have every right to be second if the Patriots are first because both teams are in the exact same boat.

Put down the pipe...Have YOU ever seen Sorgi play?????? EVER? The guy is lost out there.......the ESPN guys were scratching their heads wondering why the heck dungie is keeping him there.....the way they used to do with Rohan and BB..........Now in contrast, EVERYONE...(suprisingly...only because it is in regards to a Patriot player).....at ESPN has been raving about Cassel......The guy has looked really good in the times that he has gotten his chances to play and was absolutely brilliant in practice/preseason games.......even your buddy Ron wrote positive things about Cassel.........

Anyways....the piece was on WHO HAD THE BEST ONE TWO PUNCH as far as QB's are concerned......Peyton obviously is #1 or 2 based on HIM......but looking at Sorgi....they shouldn't be ranked that high IMHO.....because it is based on "what happens if the #1 guy goes down" factor....if Pay-ton goes down......DO you as a colt fan have confidence in Sorgi? Answer that one.....appreciate the opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes