PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN preseason ranking of AFC East WR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
When isolating the position from everything else, the Bills could easily be considered as having the best WRs in the AFC East. They haven't had a legitimate #2 receiver in years...now they have two number ones. Then you have Josh Reed put back into the slot where he belongs and can do the most damage. Parrish is good for some game-changing plays throughout the season. Steve Johnson has shown promise, and James Hardy is a huge dude, and he could finally learn the playbook and step up this year. He could be big in the red zone. The versatility and depth is there all the way across the board. Not only that, but all three running backs on the Bills can catch the ball well; in fact, they lead the league in running back catches last year. Lynch had 47 catches, Jackson had 37. Now the Bills have picked up Dominic Rhodes, who had 45 catches as RB last year. Also, many people feel that the Bills got one of the bigger steals in the draft by picking up Shawn Nelson at TE in round four.

Bringing in T.O. was huge for the Bills. All teams had to do last year was double-cover Evans, and the Bills' passing game was already half beat. Then teams could just stack eight men in the box to stop the run. Now the offense is wide open, with possible mismatches all over the place. You can't double-cover Owens and Evans on every play, and you can't totally focus on stopping the run nearly as much. Having Owens and Evans should take pressure off every other receiver, not to mention the running game. Rumor has it that the Bills are going to go with the no-huddle a lot this season, which can cause some stress on opposing defenses.

I'd say that the biggest issue with the Bills offense is not the QB, but the line. They'll have two rookies manning the Guard spots and a new free agent pickup at Center. The only two projected starting o-lineman that were on the team last year are playing different positions than last year. Walker will most likely be at LT after playing RT, and Butler will be playing RT after playing RG. So each position on the line will see a new guy playing when compared to last year.

As far as the NYJ go, I'm glad they got rid of Coles, but Cotchery is still there, and if they end up getting their hands on either Boldin, B.Edwards, or Burress, they'd be decent too on the outside. Couple that with burners Brad Smith, Chansi Stuckey, and David Clowney and they don't look too bad either.

Chansi Stuckey is no burner and David Clowney is a nobody.

1. Stuckey ran a 4.56 and 4.60 at the combine.
2. Stuckey is a 7th round pick
3. Stuckey "hates" football. “A lot of people don’t know that Chansi hated football,” said Marvin Cannedy, Stuckey’s mentor and former basketball coach. “Hated all the running, hated all the heat, hated getting hit for nothing. He thought it was dumb.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/19/sports/football/19jets.html

The Jets still have nobody ready to go at QB. Kellen Clemens the answer? Don't make me laugh. And no their #5 overall pick, Sanchez, is not going to play this year unless things completely go to hell, in which case we'll know that the Jets offense is really, really putrid. Face it the Jets are the worst team in the division.

The AFC East as I see it:

1. Patriots 13+ wins
2. Dolphins 11 wins
3. Bills 8 wins
4. Jets 6 wins

It's also a joke that this guy thinks that TO+Evans > Moss+Welker. Joey Galloway has also been a consistent deep threat throughout his career and he pushes the Pats core over the top. Expect an offensive output in 2009 to challenge that of 2007.

Last edited:
Chansi Stuckey is no burner and David Clowney is a nobody.

1. Stuckey ran a 4.56 and 4.60 at the combine.
2. Stuckey is a 7th round pick
3. Stuckey "hates" football. “A lot of people don’t know that Chansi hated football,” said Marvin Cannedy, Stuckey’s mentor and former basketball coach. “Hated all the running, hated all the heat, hated getting hit for nothing. He thought it was dumb.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/19/sports/football/19jets.html

The Jets still have nobody ready to go at QB. Kellen Clemens the answer? Don't make me laugh. And no their #5 overall pick, Sanchez, is not going to play this year unless things completely go to hell, in which case we'll know that the Jets offense is really, really putrid. Face it the Jets are the worst team in the division.

The AFC East as I see it:

1. Patriots 13+ wins
2. Dolphins 11 wins
3. Bills 8 wins
4. Jets 6 wins

It's also a joke that this guy thinks that TO+Evans > Moss+Welker. Joey Galloway has also been a consistent deep threat throughout his career and he pushes the Pats core over the top. Expect an offensive output in 2009 to challenge that of 2007.

You are assuming that Sanchez doesn't start this yr? That is highly debatable at worst. Most expect him to start, including their coach who has already had him in with the 1st team so far. I highly doubt that they traded up to #5, will give him a TON of money--to let Kellen Clemens start. How is Clemens any more experienced than Sanchez? All signs point to Sanchez starting, whether or not he can be alright is the question. I hope he sucks, and most 1st yr QB's aren't too good--but we are assuming he will suck. That may not be the case.

What I said about their receiving core was let's hope they don't get a toy for Sanchez, because a lot of people think they will. They are heavy in the Burress talks, and have inquired about Braylon Edwards and Boldin. It's almost common sense to think they will get someone for their major investment to throw it to. Let's hope they don't.

Brad Smith was a higher pick who they have high hopes for, and he gives them options at various positions. They recently claimed he was the fastest player on their team. Leon Washington gives them options too, as he had 4-6 catches in half of the games to go along with his rushing abilities. He is quick too. With Shonne Green and Thomas Jones too, it's not like they totally suck in the rushing game either.

I hardly think Stucky or Clowney are anything great, but they certainly have potential. Whether or not Chansi Stucky hates football or not, I dunno--but he remains on the team. I would hope for his sake, he would quit if he doesn't want to play. And he does provide some production, as he caught 40 or so balls last year, I believe. Clowney didn't get a lot of playing time because he was new, and they still had their #1 receiver in Coles last year, but he is someone who will see more time.

With the obvious improvements on defense, and the possibility of a real coach, they could certainly have the potential to give us a game--they usually do. It may not be the odds on favorite, but it is possible for them to win 8 or 9 games.

I am a Patriot fanatic, but I also respect the 'any given Sunday' rule, and as much as I think we are better--I will always show respect for the opponent, and I can guarantee you our coach does too. It's easy to sit back and talk football in May, but after a couple or few injuries occur, and a development or two takes place, it's really anyone's guess. There were many so called draft 'experts' who thought they knew what they were talking about, and made post upon post about how they'd be right--while I sat back and said that predicting the draft beyond the first 15 or so picks was silly. The NFL has more parity now than they've ever had before, and there are alot of teams around .500 or better that could make a run. I hardly think anyone felt ARZ could have almost won the Super Bowl, as their odds were astronomical.

I'm not suggesting the NYJ are anything special, what I am suggesting is that there is more competition now in the AFC East than in yrs before. We will not have another 10-6 season like in '05 and expect to win the division.

And as far as the offensive production equaling that of 07, I am not holding my breath as I expect to see more from the running game, and more 2 TE sets--to keep Tom more protected, at least for the first 4-6 games. If he throws 30 TD's I will be more than happy.

Last edited:
And as far as Galloway goes, no one is rooting harder for him than me, as I lived in Columbus when he played at OSU, and am a big fan. But to some here, and around the league--he is still somewhat of an unknown to us. As is Greg Lewis, who we know can be alright, but there are other factors involved too. I think the writer's point was that Buffalo may have more depth at the position. I really don't see anything wrong with it, as people are entitled to their respective opinions.

It wasn't an article about OL's, and it wasn't an article about QB's, it was strictly WR vs. WR. God forbid, if one of either Welker or Moss go down, it makes it much easier to defend against our receivers, as we know they'd just double the other. That was most likely his point, as most of the musings and writings from Graham are very pro-Patriot. It was just last week when some idiot kept bugging him about one of the other AFCE teams taking us over, and he kept telling them they were wrong and NE is superior.

I much rather would have Moss and Welker sure, most would. But I got the feeling it was more about Reed and Hardy vs. Lewis and Galloway. He could be right, he could be wrong--but at least it's somewhat debatable. If Joey G. is on his game, everything will be fine. If he pulls a hammy in TC or sometime during the season and resorts to how he's been playing the past couple yrs, then our #3 WR could be a question mark.

It'll be interesting to see, and I certainly hope for the best. No matter what happens, as we've seen in 06 TB can and will lead us.

I think the perception of Galloway being "injury-prone" is a bit overblown. Galloway and Gruden had an argument after Tampa Bay's playoff loss to the Giants a year ago. Then Galloway missed time during last August's training camp with a groin injury, and he ended up in Gruden's dog house for the rest of the year. He did have a foot injury that kept him out of a few games, but he could have played in several games but did not last season. Antonio Bryant had a very good year and took over Galloway's top WR spot; rather than go with two similar style receivers the Bucs paired him up with either Michael Clayton (a very good run blocker) or Ike Hilliard (a prototypical short yardage, possession/move the chains receiver.) Gruden elected to go with a combination of those three rather than Bryant and Galloway with weak-armed Jeff Garcia.

Galloway has had only one other (2004) season where he lost much time due to injuries. Given his age (he'll be 38 in November) it's certainly something to watch, but since he'll now only be the #3 guy I believe the concerns are overstated given his history this decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots