PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Power Rankings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SunnyDenmark said:
hey - I have now reached 30 posts and gone from a 'Junior Member' to now a 'Member'. Whoopeee! When do I get to be a Senior Member (and the gold star)? I never did like it when my wife would make fun of my 'Junior Member'. Where is Faith Tyler when you need her?

Then I'd slow down on the pace you're setting. She won't be too thrilled with a "senior member" either.

Last edited:
Chevagus said:
Then I'd slow down on the pace your setting. She won't be too thrilled with a "senior member" either

He'll be here all weekend, ladies and gentleman. :D

14thDragon said:
Those are not cheap shots, those are high motor hits from a great on the field compeititor.
As long as we forget about those out of bounds hits (shhhhhh!) I won't mention it again if you won't. Still, he is one of the most intimidating presences on the field.

Aqua4Ever04 said:
Yeah I guess just being outside the team I don't see how you won't miss those players. Of course Billichek had a great draft again but I still think those losses will hurt.

As for C-pep, yes it certainly was a steal. Why the Vikings gave up a pro bowler for just a 2nd rounder. You obviously understand the excitement and consider this. Last time we gave up a 2nd rounder for a QB, do you know who it was? Go ahead, take a guess LOL.

It was A.J Feely. Just shows the difference in our front office now. Culpepper and Feely isn't even a comparison so that's where even a little more excitement comes in.

My theory is that quarterbacks with initals for a first name are going to suck. I can think of a bunch that confirm this, are there any that disprove it?

CheerforTom said:
This really seems to be the general opinion of people outside the organization. I've never really understood it, though. Givens was a good receiver, but we picked up at least two more to replace him (and saved a lot of money in the process).

McGinnest was one of my favourite players and will be missed for sure, but he was one single part of a well-oiled machine that was and is our front 7. I can't objectively see it fading because of one (with a few lesser ones as well) player gone.

Vinatieri is a great kicker, but I frankly won't miss him. He showed what kind of person he is with the deal he made, and if you as a team need to rely on a kicker that heavily, you need to be improving in many other offensive areas. I see a great kicker as a last resort and little else.

It's impossible to get away from the fact that regardless of how Culpepper performs, you guys got a steal on that one. You can certainly feel glad about that, it was a very good offseason move.

I don't think the personnel losses will be a huge blow for NE. Replacing Givens' 55 or 60 catches won't be a problem since Brady is so good spreading the ball around anyway. However, what I really disliked about Givens, as a Fin fan, was he was so clutch. When a big catch needed to be made it always seemed to be Givens coming through (that's definitely not anything against Branch who is very good). I think what NE has to be somewhat worried about who will replace him. While I'm not really sold on the free agent pick-ups Chad Jackson will have an extremely productive career. I just don't think he'll be a high impact player in his first year though I think some games he may really light it up.

As far as McGinest, he never had extremely high tackle numbers but then again you never had to worry about him missing a tackle. I think where his presence will be most missed is on QB pressure. I'm sure you guys have better insight than I do but he seemed to be the guy that always gave the QB fits. I'm sure he was a good leader but there's no lack of leadership on NE even without him.

Vinatieri to me may not be a big loss but I think people will be holding their breath the first time Grammatica or whoever else is there has to come up with a clutch kick. It's not so much that Vinatieri is the best kicker in the world, he just happened to not waiver no matter what the game situation was and that made him special. Once the replacement makes or misses a few clutch kicks I think people will have a better idea on whether his departure was significant.

Now, back to what I was saying about Culpepper (just kidding)

Chevagus said:
As far as McGinest, he never had extremely high tackle numbers but then again you never had to worry about him missing a tackle. I think where his presence will be most missed is on QB pressure. I'm sure you guys have better insight than I do but he seemed to be the guy that always gave the QB fits. I'm sure he was a good leader but there's no lack of leadership on NE even without him................
Now, back to what I was saying about Culpepper (just kidding)
Oh PLEEEZZ. More, more - pass the 'pepper, pass the 'pepper. LOL.
McGinest was one of those who knew when the time was right for the big play. Some players gamble at inopportune time. He would do it when it was needed and would come up with HUGE plays at critical times. I was watching some hightlights of 2004 season and he had two plays against the Colts that killed them. 1) Less than minute remaining with Colts deep in Pats end, sack of Manning gives Vanderjerk a 46 yard kick which he misses - would have tied the game and forced OT. 2) Critical stop of E. James on 4th and goal at the 1 yard line with the game on the line - actually I think that was 2003?. Anyway, he knew when a big play was needed. He said ," in big games, great players make big plays". Sounds simple but doing it is something else. He did it time and time again. He was also the 'enforcer' in the locker room. He kept everybody in line. Brady has said he was also afraid of crossing Willy. He will be missed for sure, then again he is 33ish? Time for another hero to step up to the plate. Vrabel is about there. Rosy Colvin is my choice for next in line. Brushski is already there.

I don't know why some of you like Drew Brees more than Culpepper. Brees isn't really all that great in my opinion at all.

Culpepper has all the skills needed to be a top flight qb; except one. Smarts. If he and Vick had any smarts...they would then be very scary to play against.

Culpepper has a linebacker's body...the speed of a safety...one of the strongest arms there is...but...he lacks the intelligence.

Bottom line.

I think that Saban is a very good coach. The Dolphins were smart about hiring Saban.

I do think that the Dolphins will be a good team. Not necessarily this year though.

People predictions mean nothing. I wouldn't pay ANY mind whatsoever what the "guru's" predict...would they be willing to bet their own money on it (Charles Barkley excluded...he is a HUGE dumbass).

Terry Glenn Cowgirl:

You have hit on the fundamental truth that these hyped up Fins don't get. They come on this site, and claim they are 'informed' and have 'facts' about Culpepper, yet time and again I have not heard one of them state that they have followed his career from start to finish, by watching him play every game, like I have. Or as many games as I could, as a Vikings FAN.

They seem to be basing his performance on a stat sheet with the page about fumbles missing. They don't share the obvious concerns that Culpepper seems to find the most ungodly stupid way to lose lots of games. I ask, 'Fin Trolls, how many GAMES have you watched since the start of Culpepper's career?' and I get silence.

Any rational human being that has watched Culpepper play, would have enough concerns to keep them busy in the offseason. They would not be confident enough to come and gloat on our website if they had watched the new and creative ways that Culpepper has invented to give away games.

What is his record in the playoffs, on the road, against top defenses, against winning teams?

I've seen him miss substantial time in three seasons because of injury: Two knee injuries and a broken back. I've seen him benched and booed at home.

Sure he is an upgrade, but not enough to single handedly overturn the division, not enough to send trolls to our website, armed with 'info' and 'facts'.

And apparently, the only thing these trolls know about the Pats is the 3 minor offseason changes at kicker, #2 WR, and ancient LB. Out with the old, in with their replacements. And in with a new RB, WR's, TE's, O-Linemen, D-Lineman, back-up LB, safeties.

Dryheat has an excellent break down of why our schedule is actually easier than the Fins, as well. If we split half of our tough games, we can go 13-3. I include Miami as a tough game.

CheerforTom said:
My theory is that quarterbacks with initals for a first name are going to suck. I can think of a bunch that confirm this, are there any that disprove it?
I think you are on to something (take note parents who want their son to get a football scholarship). But A.J. Feeley would have made a great writer - ie, J R R Tolkien, T.S. Eliot, JK Rowlings, etc.

Question: Is Culpepper worth two games as a quarterback upgrade.? Given their schedule, this will be plenty to put them into the playoffs as a wildcard with the Jags.

Who cares if they make the playoffs. The Fins made the playoffs plenty of times before and collapsed. Culpepper has never beat a top team or good defense in any of the games I watched. He is a major chokejob, and does worse when the pressure is on! The Fins do not have a top running back, just an average RB. Unlike what trolls want you to believe, Pepper isn't going to get close to the protection and time in the pocket he is used to. He has one offensive skill weapon in Chambers. The other guys aren't that good anymore, and that includes the tight end that trolls are so high on. McMichaels has not distinguished himself at all thru his stats.
The defense will only be better if you assume all the new guys are upgrades, which they aren't. They are just guys.
Fins fans are going to be surprised that within the confines of the Miami skill players and offense, Pepper is not going to be too much more effective than Ferotte. No matter how much better he is as a QB. The Vikings had a steamrolling O-Line, Miami doesn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey