PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Power Rankings...Pats #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriplecHamp

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
NFL Power Rankings - National Football League - ESPN

Yeah, Yeah, I know Power Rankings are useless in the Off season but here they are.

Patriots are #2 behind the Steelers. Some writer had us sixth:rolleyes:...The top 5 are...

1) Pittsburgh Steelers
2) New England Patriots
3) New York Giants
4) Philadelphia Eagles
5) Indianapolis Colts

My top 5 would be...

1) Pittsburgh Steelers
2) New York Giants
3) New England Patriots
4) Philadelphia Eagles
5) Baltimore Ravens

#2?? wtmff?

this kind of disrespect is just the motivation this team needs.

I don't get the Colts ranking, IMHO. I would put the Ravens, Chargers, and Titans above them.

Besides that, no problem with the Steelers at 1 and us at 2. OT, but the Steelers schedule this year is a joke...if they went 16-0 I wouldn't be the least bit suprised.

there's really nothing disrespectful about being number 2. i can see why the steelers deserve to be number 1. we didn't even make the playoffs last year and should be happy we're in the top 5.

The Steelers are the defending champs, and have not done anything to deserve losing that number one ranking.

Forget about Jeff Chadiha giving the Pats a sixth place vote. Len Pasquarelli is going to need armed guards next time he visits Pittsburgh. Not only was he the only writer that did not give the Steelers a first place vote, and not only was he the only writer to vote the Pats above the Steelers, but he ranked Pittsburgh #9! Perhaps that was just his way of saying that NFL power rankings in May is a bit absurd.

I don't get the Colts ranking, IMHO. I would put the Ravens, Chargers, and Titans above them.

Besides that, no problem with the Steelers at 1 and us at 2. OT, but the Steelers schedule this year is a joke...if they went 16-0 I wouldn't be the least bit suprised.

dont we play the steelers? how can they be undefeated?

More bulletin board material... :rolleyes:

Does anyone really think the Steelers are within 3 touchdowns of a Brady led Pats team?

Ranking them #1 is legit. However, not ranking them #1 is also legit.

They beat an 8-8/ 6th sead/ 9-7 team last year in the playoffs. It's a championchip but it's hardly the stuff of legend.

Their four losses last year were to playoff teams so either way of ranking is fine.

The Steelers are the defending champs, and have not done anything to deserve losing that number one ranking.

Forget about Jeff Chadiha giving the Pats a sixth place vote. Len Pasquarelli is going to need armed guards next time he visits Pittsburgh. Not only was he the only writer that did not give the Steelers a first place vote, and not only was he the only writer to vote the Pats above the Steelers, but he ranked Pittsburgh #9! Perhaps that was just his way of saying that NFL power rankings in May is a bit absurd.

What does last year's results have to do with the 2009 season?

Under your thinking you need to rank all the teams that had a better record than the Patriots ahead of them.

I'll never understand that, if it's respect for the SB winner - Then call it that, however respect for a team that does not exist in the same composition now as it did then makes no sense to me.

I would put the Pats at #3 behind the Steelers and Giants and I would also put the Colts at #10. They wont be as good without Dungy.

What's weird is everyone had the Steelers at 1 except Pasquarreli - who had them at 9. I could see people putting the Steelers in the top 3 or top 5 behind other teams but ninth? Maybe Len's just looking for some attention.

I actually like not seeing the Pats at number 1; when the media overrates a team it puts a lot of pressure on them and they're likely to crumble (see Cowboys).

Perhaps you would rather the rankings be based on the 2007 season, with the Giants on top? or ranked according to your fantasies where the patriots are always #1.

Going into 2009, the patriots have a quarterback returning from a major injury, a backup QB who has neve played, a team that didn't make the playoffs in 2008 even though they were in a pitiful division and played all the teams in the horrible West, a team with five question marks as corners, and team with question marks in the their linebacking corps.

Where should we be ranked? Of course, this is a patriot board, so we think that we should be ranked first.

I don't think that we should be rated higher than Pittsbugh or the Giants until mid-season, after we've shown that most of our POTENTIAL weaknesses have been overcome.

What does last year's results have to do with the 2009 season?

Under your thinking you need to rank all the teams that had a better record than the Patriots ahead of them.

I'll never understand that, if it's respect for the SB winner - Then call it that, however respect for a team that does not exist in the same composition now as it did then makes no sense to me.

In my opinion, the Super Bowl champion should be ranked first heading into the pre-season. Because things don't change until the regular season starts.

Last edited:
Perhaps you would rather the rankings be based on the 2007 season, with the Giants on top? or ranked according to your fantasies where the patriots are always #1.

Going into 2009, the patriots have a quarterback returning from a major injury, a backup QB who has neve played, a team that didn't make the playoffs in 2008 even though they were in a pitiful division and played all the teams in the horrible West, a team with five question marks as corners, and team with question marks in the their linebacking corps.

Where should we be ranked? Of course, this is a patriot board, so we think that we should be ranked first.

I don't think that we should be rated higher than Pittsbugh or the Giants until mid-season, after we've shown that most of our POTENTIAL weaknesses have been overcome.

I agree 100% to be the Champs you have to beat the Champs (sometimes). The Steelers and any Champion shouldn't be ranked anywhere but first unless they lose a lot of FA's. The Giants have had a better Off-season than us IMO, addressed all needs through Draft and added Depth through free agency. The Pats should be right behind those two until the season starts. If we are 4-0 and those other teams have worse records, you have a gripe if we arnt ahead of them. For now Eat you humble pie and wait for the season to start.

First of all, I never said where the Patriots should be slotted in the rankings - I'm not an expert, and I did not give my opinion.

Your comment on the 2007 season? What's that about?

My comment is very simple, mgteich - I DO NOT think that the SB winner should be ranked first based on the fact that they won the Super Bowl LAST YEAR.

If they are the best team, then they should be - However my comment was directed to the poster who said, "The Steelers should be ranked no 1 because they are the reigning champs".

I NEVER mentioned the Patriots.

Different season - Different rankings.

I'll never understand the entitlement that the Super Bowl winner gets in the next season. They can loose their entire offensive line and have a horrible draft and we still have to choose them as the no. 1 team based on what they did last year?

I don't get it - Help me understand this thinking. If it's respect, that's not fact based.

I think the head coach of the Steelers said it best when asked about next year hours after winning the Super Bowl - Mike Tomlin doesn't believe in repeats. In today's NFL, Tomlin says there can be no such thing because no two teams are exactly the same.

First of all, I never said where the Patriots should be slotted in the rankings - I'm not an expert, and I did not give my opinion.

Your comment on the 2007 season? What's that about?

My comment is very simple, mgteich - I DO NOT think that the SB winner should be ranked first based on the fact that they won the Super Bowl LAST YEAR.

If they are the best team, then they should be - However my comment was directed to the poster who said, "The Steelers should be ranked no 1 because they are the reigning champs".

I NEVER mentioned the Patriots.

Different season - Different rankings.

I'll never understand the entitlement that the Super Bowl winner gets in the next season. They can loose their entire offensive line and have a horrible draft and we still have to choose them as the no. 1 team based on what they did last year?

I don't get it - Help me understand this thinking. If it's respect, that's not fact based.

I think the head coach of the Steelers said it best when asked about next year hours after winning the Super Bowl - Mike Tomlin doesn't believe in repeats. In today's NFL, Tomlin says there can be no such thing because no two teams are exactly the same.

I think the Steelers get the #1 Ranking because they didn't lose a lot of free agents. They lost 2, McFadden and Washington. Washington is not a huge loss, McFadden could be. But other than that, they have the 20 of 22 starters back, they have the entire coaching staff back, they have some guys coming off injury that can make them better, and did pick up a couple free agents for depth and experience on the roster. They did lose Leftwich as a very capable Back up QB, but Batch is back, and unless Ben face plants a car again, Batch is good enough to win a game or two along the way.

Also, the schedule is not as "bad" as last years. We draw the Titans and Dolphins instead of the standard Colts and Pats because you guys thought it would be fun to let someone else win it all this year I guess. :D Neither of you held up your "win the division" part of the bargain to get the Steelers vs Colts vs Pats regular season round robin that most of us have become accustomed to.

Alot of the posters have the Giants highly ranked, and I tend to agree. They could be very good even with the loss of Plax because they get guys back off injury and drafted for depth at WR. Not sure if it'll be good enough, but then again the NFC East isn't that great with Washington still without a QB and with Philly a Jeckle and Hyde team that is one McNabb injury away from a 4 win season. I question them being so high.

I'm most interested in seeing how the Pats Defense performs this year with the loss of Vrabel. He was a real leader on that D so its going to be interesting to see how the Pats do on that side of the ball. On your offense, if Cassell can score points with that O, we alll know darn well that Brady will score points. That shouldn't be an issue and the Taylor pick up is very interesting too. That guy still has gas in the tank and I'm of the opinion that the Jags made a huge mistake getting rid of him and going with Jones-Drew as their go to guy.

Anyway, power rankings are what they are, fun at this time of year.

Mine would be as follows:
Steelers
Patriots
Giants
Panthers
Chargers
Colts
Titans
Ravens
Cowboys
Vikings

Quick Edit, We lost Foote too but he wanted out anyway because he wasn't going to be the starter with the progress Timmons has made at the Linebacker position. I didn't count him. My mistake.

Last edited:
I think the Steelers get the #1 Ranking because they didn't lose a lot of free agents. They lost 2, McFadden and Washington. Washington is not a huge loss, McFadden could be. But other than that, they have the 20 of 22 starters back, they have the entire coaching staff back, they have some guys coming off injury that can make them better, and did pick up a couple free agents for depth and experience on the roster. They did lose Leftwich as a very capable Back up QB, but Batch is back, and unless Ben face plants a car again, Batch is good enough to win a game or two along the way.

Also, the schedule is not as "bad" as last years. We draw the Titans and Dolphins instead of the standard Colts and Pats because you guys thought it would be fun to let someone else win it all this year I guess. :D Neither of you held up your "win the division" part of the bargain to get the Steelers vs Colts vs Pats regular season round robin that most of us have become accustomed to.

Alot of the posters have the Giants highly ranked, and I tend to agree. They could be very good even with the loss of Plax because they get guys back off injury and drafted for depth at WR. Not sure if it'll be good enough, but then again the NFC East isn't that great with Washington still without a QB and with Philly a Jeckle and Hyde team that is one McNabb injury away from a 4 win season. I question them being so high.

I'm most interested in seeing how the Pats Defense performs this year with the loss of Vrabel. He was a real leader on that D so its going to be interesting to see how the Pats do on that side of the ball. On your offense, if Cassell can score points with that O, we alll know darn well that Brady will score points. That shouldn't be an issue and the Taylor pick up is very interesting too. That guy still has gas in the tank and I'm of the opinion that the Jags made a huge mistake getting rid of him and going with Jones-Drew as their go to guy.

Steelers
Patriots
Giants
Panthers
Chargers
Colts
TitansRavens
Cowboys
Vikings

Your right. The Giants will be a force because of what they did to bolster the Pass Rush. Rocky Bernard, Chris Canty, Michael Boley, Clint Sintim, and the get their best pass rusher and best player back in Osi Umenyoira.Wow they are going to be tough to beat in December and January because like the steelers they are buit for that time of year. Tough Defense and a good Running game will win games in the winter. As for your power rankings....Why you gotta disrespect the Ravens like that? :singing:

Steelers
Patriots
Giants
Panthers
Chargers
Colts
Titans
Ravens
Cowboys
Vikings

Dino, I'm with you 100% - Your reasoning is fact based. I may not agree, but I respect your opinion.

My issue is with people who think The SB Champion should be No.1 in the Power Rankings based on the fact that they won last year and we should show them respect and give them that ranking.

That's crap. It's a power ranking based on the current composition of the team - not the team that won the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots