PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: Positive signs from the loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
Honestly, in spite of all the soul-searching, doom & gloom - and I am not above any of that this week - I bet if the refs don't F up that Gronk TD call, we're 6-1 right now.

The ease with which Brady & co drove the ball down the field on the Steelers to bring it within one possession tells me they had figured things out.

And the haphazardness of the Steelers final offense possession - even if it was basically a kneel-down - tells me there was a chance they, like the Cowboys, would have been unable to end the game in spite of their insane offensive efficiency to that point.

I posted it in another thread, but as bad as our pass defense is we are still a good red-zone defense..which limits our opponents to 3 rather than 7usually once they are in the redzone. for as much yards as big-ben was passing on us, they shouldve scored 40+ not 23(25with the safety)

the game really comes down to 2possessions 3rd and 15 and 3rd and 12....the pats stop the steelers there, thats 2 extra possessions for TB to try and put points on the board...BB needs to work with this team on Tackling/getting off the field on 3rd downs.

because if you can improve on those 2 areas, even with this atrocious pass defense we have a chance to win.strong 3rd down defense is an absolute must. its why we beat the cowboys...Romo passed for over 300yards on us..but, we got them off the field on 3rd down and limited the big play(usually)

Last edited:
Honestly, in spite of all the soul-searching, doom & gloom - and I am not above any of that this week - I bet if the refs don't F up that Gronk TD call, we're 6-1 right now.

The ease with which Brady & co drove the ball down the field on the Steelers to bring it within one possession tells me they had figured things out.

And the haphazardness of the Steelers final offense possession - even if it was basically a kneel-down - tells me there was a chance they, like the Cowboys, would have been unable to end the game in spite of their insane offensive efficiency to that point.

I would agree with you, except I would put the Gronk play (and result) 50/50 on refs and the Pats themselves. Not because they didn't challenge, but because they used WAY too much time on two plays from the half yard line. If you save yourself an extra minute after that play with a quick run/sneak, we might have had a punchers chance after the punt.

The positives I got out of this game is that Brady didn't throw a interception, that Faulk can still be serviceable when he's called upon whether he's picking up the blitz, or crucial 2 yd to 4 yds on a play,
That Price was at least activated and saw the field and seemed to get separation off the line and looks like a player.

On defense i know this sounds ridiculous I've said since the season begun game 9 will tell us what this defense is,
The familiarity the defense needs to develop is not yet there, however Arrington, Mccourty, and Molden are not garbage players they need time to get familiar with each other and trust what they see in front of them.
Adams made a cameo and didn't look lost it'll be interesting to see what transpires, Andre Carter is a keeper, he's dug in and a coaches best friend.
When we draft a defensive line next year he needs to stick around to show them the ropes.
I don't believe the hype that Pepper and Patricia can not coach, BB wouldn't have them here if they could not, I don't think we have the horses to race and with another coach with some of these players and lack of contunuity we'd see a disaster of epic proportions.
Talk to me after this game against the Giants time to dig in and I believe BB and co will.

I would agree with you, except I would put the Gronk play (and result) 50/50 on refs and the Pats themselves. Not because they didn't challenge, but because they used WAY too much time on two plays from the half yard line. If you save yourself an extra minute after that play with a quick run/sneak, we might have had a punchers chance after the punt.

I agree - BB had to throw the challenge flag there. It wouldn't have been a waste of a TO even if it failed since it would've allowed the team to regroup and get the proper play called. 2 timeouts and 4 minutes left is way better than 3 timeouts and 2:30 left.

To the OPs original point. I think on the surface you can find some positives.

The Steelers are one of the best teams in the NFL and despite being basically dominated we were still a score away from winning juxtapose that with say getting blown out by the winless Rams.

I think some credit not much but some credit is owed to the Defense for keeping the score relatively low despite the time of possession and ineptitude of the offense for much of the game. Also for the red zone D.

I think again despite ineptitude for most of the game like vs Dallas this offense was primed to make key plays down the stretch to try and pull out one that seemed out of grasp. And may have if it werent for the poorest attempt at an onside kick I have ever seen. Seemed like a good idea for the on sider and 10 guys seemed to execute but the one guy the kicker did not.

I fully agree with this. I think it was one of the few moments where this team did not know what to do. I think the players were slow to the punch hoping for a challenge and I think the coaching staff may have been scrambling try to figure out if they should challenge. IMO if it was clear cut no TD they may have executed better and saved some time.

Man what a tough spot the refs put them in how can you risk losing a time out at that point in the game and over inches? IMO this also highlights the oddity of the review every score but then ignore it if the mistake was to put it just outside the endzone.

To the OPs original point. I think on the surface you can find some positives.

The Steelers are one of the best teams in the NFL and despite being basically dominated we were still a score away from winning juxtapose that with say getting blown out by the winless Rams.

I think some credit not much but some credit is owed to the Defense for keeping the score relatively low despite the time of possession and ineptitude of the offense for much of the game. Also for the red zone D.

I think what we see with this defense is one that (at this moment) is probably good enough when the offense is playing well. I don't even mean the offense is putting up 30+, but when they're getting first downs, sustaining drives, and giving the defense rest, they CAN come up with enough stops to win the game. The problem is, when the offense is sputtering and putting up too many 3 and outs, this defense is most certainly NOT good enough to get stops while they're tired.

Now, that blame goes both ways, because the D obviously failed on the very first drive of the game and tired themselves out by not getting off the field. But after the O went 3 and out right after, it was going to be tough for them to recover and stop another long drive with no time for coaching adjustments or breathers.

I fully agree with this. I think it was one of the few moments where this team did not know what to do. I think the players were slow to the punch hoping for a challenge and I think the coaching staff may have been scrambling try to figure out if they should challenge. IMO if it was clear cut no TD they may have executed better and saved some time.

Man what a tough spot the refs put them in how can you risk losing a time out at that point in the game and over inches? IMO this also highlights the oddity of the review every score but then ignore it if the mistake was to put it just outside the endzone.

Well they have to draw a line somewhere on which non-scoring plays are close enough to review. I like the current system because it's cut and dry. If it's ruled a TD, we look at it. If not, the coaches still have challenges they can choose to use.

On that particular play however, I think that's a perfect example of a time when the ref should err on the side of TD, knowing it will be looked at anyway. It was close enough that no one would have questioned the call in real time, and reversing it wouldn't cost Pittsburgh anything.

The Pats did get it handed to them all game, but also did hang around in the game only down by 1 score. It would have been interesting if the on side KO worked out with Brady having 4 timeouts and 2 minutes plus to work with.

I thought the concept of getting out in front executing the on side kick was a really good idea.

Not the Ghost's best day.

there were no positives from that game....... that's just a nicer way of saying the game wasn't as close as the score indicated.......

that said, one loss is one loss regardless of the condition it happened under......

I think what we see with this defense is one that (at this moment) is probably good enough when the offense is playing well. I don't even mean the offense is putting up 30+, but when they're getting first downs, sustaining drives, and giving the defense rest, they CAN come up with enough stops to win the game. The problem is, when the offense is sputtering and putting up too many 3 and outs, this defense is most certainly NOT good enough to get stops while they're tired.

Now, that blame goes both ways, because the D obviously failed on the very first drive of the game and tired themselves out by not getting off the field. But after the O went 3 and out right after, it was going to be tough for them to recover and stop another long drive with no time for coaching adjustments or breathers.

In total agreement here.

Well they have to draw a line somewhere on which non-scoring plays are close enough to review. I like the current system because it's cut and dry. If it's ruled a TD, we look at it. If not, the coaches still have challenges they can choose to use.

I dont see anything wrong with the line being if the play overturned would result in a score. and allow both up stairs and the coach to challenge this.

On that particular play however, I think that's a perfect example of a time when the ref should err on the side of TD, knowing it will be looked at anyway. It was close enough that no one would have questioned the call in real time, and reversing it wouldn't cost Pittsburgh anything.

I do on the other hand have a problem with a ref using the replay as a crutch. Call the play the way you see it regardless of whether replay may be able to decide it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes