PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN Patriots-Dolphins prediction roundup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Miami has been a horrorshow for the Pats. As much of a homer as I am, I think Miami takes this one.

the dolphins D will have a tough time against our offense. they did not look impressive last week against the Jets.

they also ran up 360 + yards of offense on the jets D which is much better than ours so...

Look at the bright side, Tom is much better looking than Henne.

they also ran up 360 + yards of offense on the jets D which is much better than ours so...

And at the same time they only scored 13 points against Buffalo's defense.

Damn, Ditka picked the Dolphins. He was the best on ESPN last year, by far, and has been pretty good this season. Unfortunately, I agree with him. The Dolphins are coming off a bad loss to the Jets, NFLN got Brandon Marshall, who turned our secondary inside out last year, angry by calling him a quitter. The defense gave up big time yards and points to the Jets. This is a team that has something to prove, playing with a chip on their shoulders in a place that has generally been a horror show for us. Unfortunately, I think we go down in a shoot-out. I'm hoping and looking forward to being proven wrong, though.

So overall espn has Tedy Bruschi (Pats by 3), Eric Allen, Mike Golic, Chris Mortensen, their Accuscore simulator (23.8-23.4; Pats win 50.4% to 49.2%), the majority of their fans in their Pigskin pick'em game, their Madden game simulator (Pats 27-13), Herm Edwards, Keyshawn Johnson, Cris Carter and Tom Jackson going with the Pats to win. Those going with Miami are Mike Reiss (Pats 27-24), Merill Hoge, Adam Schefter, Mark Schlereth, Adam Wickersham, and Mike Ditka. That's 11 for the Pats and six for Miami; I'm somewhat surprised because I figured it would be about 50-50, maybe even slightly in favor of Miami at home rather than more than 2:1 going with the Pats on the road.

New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins - Preview - October 04, 2010 - ESPN

Miami had relied more on its ground game behind Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams the first two weeks before attempting 45 passes against the Jets.

"We're the type of offense where we're going to take what defenses give us," Marshall said. "We just take advantage of whatever is there."

For New England's opponents, that has been plenty. The Patriots (2-1) have been trying to replace defensive lineman Ty Warren and cornerback Leigh Bodden, with shaky results in each injured starter's spot.

Even sputtering Buffalo moved the ball easily at times during New England's 38-30 win last Sunday. The Patriots rank 27th in total defense, and their 82 points allowed are more than all but four other teams.

Last edited:
At CBS Sports Pete Prisco, Clark Judge, Dave Richard, Will Brinson and Josh Katzowitz are all going with the Pats to win. Again, I'm a little surprised it's not closer to 50-50.

NFL Picks, Grades - CBSSports.com Football

Prisco is going with the Pats 27-23.

NFL Picks, Grades - CBSSports.com Football
This is a huge game for both teams. The Dolphins can't afford to go 0-2 at home against the division. The Patriots can't afford to go 0-2 on the road in the division. The New England defense has been a major concern the first three weeks. Chad Henne came alive against the Jets defense last week and that continues here. The only problem is Tom Brady outplays him.

Clark Judge previews the game: Peek at the Week: McNabb-Vick extravaganza punctuates weekend - NFL - CBSSports.com Football
The story: So the Patriots win at home and lose on the road. That makes them an easy mark for Miami and puts them in the middle of the AFC East crowd, right? I wouldn't be so sure. To reach the top of the division you still have to climb over the defending champion, and that's not the Jets or Miami. It's Tom Brady and the Patriots, and the last time we checked in with them they were lapping the Buffalo Bills.

But that was at home, where they're 2-0. Now they're on the road, and it was there they struggled against the Jets -- failing to solve a secondary that played the second half without Darrelle Revis. Statistically, Miami is better on defense than the Jets, especially on pass defense, and when you combine that with their history against New England here (they have defeated the Pats eight of the past 12 seasons) it's hard not to like the home team.

But this is about more than numbers. It's about matchups, and if there's a weak link in the Patriots it's pass defense. The defensive backs are young and all over the place and the pass rush is spotty. Ryan Fitzpatrick punctured them. So did Mark Sanchez. What happens when Chad Henne starts looking for Brandon Marshall? I'll tell you what: You hope Brady can hold serve. This is a tennis match, with points galore in the balance, and if it comes down to Brady vs. Henne, you know where I'm going.

Something to consider: Under Belichick, the Patriots are 10-5 on Monday night -- winning six of their past seven.

ESPN Patriots-Dolphins prediction roundup - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston
FWIW

i love tedy but his predictions on pats games have been quite off so not sure what to make of it.

I certainly loved Tedy as a player. I think all of us did.

But isn't he becoming just a bit of medaidiot a bit too quickly? I mean putting down Sanchez was the kid of lockerroom bulletin board material Belichick never would have pot up with.

I would be a lot happier if Tedy would just slink quietly into the sunset, enjoy his millions and his family and sell SBLI.

At Fox Sports four out of six are going with Miami to win this game. Alex Marvez and John Czarnecki went with the Pats, while Jay Glazer, Adam Schein, Peter Schrager and Adam Caplan picked the Dolphins.

Weekly expert NFL picks - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

Here's Schrager's preview: NFL Week 4 picks and predictions - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

New England at Miami: Through three games, the Patriots lead the AFC with 90 points, but the defense ranks third-to-last in the conference with 82 points surrendered. The baby-faced secondary, mostly made up of rookies and second-year guys, could be picked on by Chad Henne, Brandon Marshall and the quietly emerging Brian Hartline on Monday night. That Pats defense gave up 30 points to Buffalo, a team that came into its game last weekend ranked as the 32nd offense in the league. Give me the Dolphins in this one.

The Pick: Dolphins 28, Patriots 24

I think that this is going to be more of an offensive shoot out. I dont think miami's defense if THAT great, not to mention Tom's biggest nemisis in Miami is no longer with Miami (Taylor). I think we will use the heck out of Gronk and Hernandez to move up and down the field at will, but unfortunatley, odds are Miami will do the same. IMO this game could very well come down to who ever has the final possesion.

I see this one being a close game and Miami pulling out a win on our tired young defense in the end, I really hope I'm wrong, but if not atleast I won't be dissapointed :)

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk thinks this game is more critical to the Dolphins than it is for the Patriots.

Week Four Friday 10-pack | ProFootballTalk.com

7. Fins, Pats face "must" wins.

Yeah, it's only Week Four. But with the Jets, Dolphins, and Patriots getting an early start on their round-robin routine, neither the Patriots nor the Dolphins can afford to drop to 0-2.

The Dolphins need it even more; they play the Jets in New York on December 12 and the Pats in New England on January 2. Already in danger of being swept by the Jets, the Dolphins can't afford to lose at home to New England, if the Dolphins have genuine designs on winning the division.

The Patriots need this one, too. But they still get the Jets and the Dolphins at home. For the Dolphins, the season could potentially be over less than a month after it began.

Florio picks the Dolphins while Rosenthal goes with the Dolphins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/09/30/pfts-week-four-picks/

Patriots at Dolphins

Florio's take: The Dolphins desperately need to avoid going 0-2 at home against the Jets and the Patriots. The Patriots desperately need to avoid going 0-2 against the Jets and the Dolphins. This one will be decided by the ability of the uneven Dolphins offense to move the ball against the young Patriots defense. Though the Miami defense was shredded last week by the Jets, the New England unit has been too porous, and that should be enough for the porpoises.

Florio's pick: Dolphins 30, Patriots 23.

Rosenthal's take: This is a huge swing game. The loser here will already have two division defeats heading into a brutal out-of-division schedule. The Patriots defense continues to search for answers, but Tom Brady is back to MVP form. New England's passing attack threatens to be the second best of the Brady era. Look for a long night for cornerbacks on both sides, with Brady finding a way to expose Jason Allen.

Rosenthal's pick: Patriots 34, Dolphins 31.

Last edited:
So overall espn has Mike Reiss (Pats 27-24), Tedy Bruschi (Pats by 3), Eric Allen, Mike Golic, Chris Mortensen, their Accuscore simulator (23.8-23.4; Pats win 50.4% to 49.2%), the majority of their fans in their Pigskin pick'em game, their Madden game simulator (Pats 27-13), Herm Edwards, Keyshawn Johnson, Cris Carter and Tom Jackson going with the Pats to win. Those going with Miami are Merill Hoge, Adam Schefter, Mark Schlereth, Adam Wickersham, and Mike Ditka. That's 12 for the Pats and five for Miami; I'm somewhat surprised because I figured it would be about 50-50, maybe even slightly in favor of Miami at home rather than more than 2:1 going with the Pats on the road.

New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins - Preview - October 04, 2010 - ESPN

reiss picked the fins i think

At Yahoo! Jason Cole and Michael Silver are going with Miami while Les Carpenter thinks the Pats will win; right now 70% of Yahoo users are picking New England to beat Miami.

Yahoo! Sports - NFL - Expert Picks Week 4

NE-Miami preview

After three weeks their Accuscore is giving the Pats a 34.5% chance of winning the division and a 50.6% chance of making the playoffs. Right now they give the Jets a 43.4% chance of winning the division and 58.2% chance at the playoffs; Miami's chances are 22.0% and 34.7%, respectively.

AccuScore: Chiefs finally getting some respect - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

Damn, Ditka picked the Dolphins. He was the best on ESPN last year, by far, and has been pretty good this season. Unfortunately, I agree with him. The Dolphins are coming off a bad loss to the Jets, NFLN got Brandon Marshall, who turned our secondary inside out last year, angry by calling him a quitter. The defense gave up big time yards and points to the Jets. This is a team that has something to prove, playing with a chip on their shoulders in a place that has generally been a horror show for us. Unfortunately, I think we go down in a shoot-out. I'm hoping and looking forward to being proven wrong, though.

Well whoever is calling the offensive plays for them is an idiot. Letting Henne throw from the 2 yard line when you have a running game like them is just ******ed. And not going for it on 4th and 2 and settling for a field goal is equally as ******ed, or maybe even more dumb.

AOL Fanhouse's Dave Goldberg asks "if Mark Sanchez found holes in the Dolphins defense, what will Tom Brady do?" His prediction is the Pats 29, Dolphins 20.

NFL Picks Week 4: Donovan McNabb's Homecoming Won't Be Pleasant -- NFL FanHouse

Six out of nine at USA Today are going with the Pats to win Monday night; Pete O'Brien predicts the Dolphins will once again win by one, 21-20.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2010-picks.htm
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/fantasy/2010-09-29-petes-picks-week-4_N.htm

Last edited:
Well whoever is calling the offensive plays for them is an idiot. Letting Henne throw from the 2 yard line when you have a running game like them is just ******ed. And not going for it on 4th and 2 and settling for a field goal is equally as ******ed, or maybe even more dumb.

Yeah, I said that in another thread. Just absolutely ******ed. You're a power running team with the offensive line and running game to shove it down the defense's throat... and you throw it four straight times from the 2? Now THAT'S bad play calling. New England fans railing against O'Brien should take note.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down