PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN NY: Holmes, Jets ready for takeoff vs. Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.
classic BB today via bedard twitter
Belichick on Holmes' advice to not put a rookie on him: "I'm sure he'd be a good coach some day."

Chung and McCourty are good young players but it's pretty stupid to think Sanchez will be making a mistake by testing either of them with Santonio Holmes. Holmes will have a big game I think, this patriots secondary is terrible. Good potential and nice young talent is there, but that doesn't change the fact that the patriots are ranked 30th? in pass defense.

Yet we're 9 and 2 and haven't really been in a shootout yet.

Get into a lead and then let the other team get garbage time stats.

Lions offense has been one of the bright spots this year. I wish our defense were better but I overall I am pleased. Suh DROTY over McCourty. :rocker:

Can this moron please be :banned2:

He is in a few threads bringing NOTHING to the table, save to bash the Patriots which trounced his pitiful excuse for a franchise to follow.

Back to the topic, I think McCourty can defend Holmes, he can match his speed for sure and has been ball-hawking these last few games. I also think Arrington can be a match-up problem for Holmes as well, due to his physicality at the line to disrupt timing.

If you need bulletin board material to get fired up for a game like this then you don't belong a football field. Both teams are 9-2 playing for the division title and your not ready to go unless someone on the other team calls you out? Come on man!

Only thing you've proven is that you didn't play competitive football.

Holmes is a big time punk...that's why Pittsburgh dumped him for nothing and that's why the team of total punks, the Rat punks, picked him up.Now he gets the chance to get punked off on national TV...

Holmes is a big time punk...that's why Pittsburgh dumped him for nothing and that's why the team of total punks, the Rat punks, picked him up.Now he gets the chance to get punked off on national TV...

I cant stand holmes..always does a stupid first down thing every time...big deal you gained 11 yards..yeah lets celebrate.. tool

Ban me for what? Being a lions fan? You guys are unbelievable...

idk what that poster is talking about. I just checked all your posts and you really didn't say anything too bad or obnoxious. Sure, you show your bias toward your team. Can't blame you for that.
SO I vote "no" to banning you...but I'm going to keep my eye out for you just the same. ;)

Now repeat after me... Jets suck suck suck.:rocker:

Ban me for what? Being a lions fan? You guys are unbelievable...

No, we pity you for being a Lions fan. 2 and 9? Ouch. I guess that's why you have to come to the Patriots forum. Not much to talk about in the Lion den expect maybe better luck next year. Thanksgiving was fun. We watched the Pats own the puttys followed by a nice turkey feast. :singing:

Last edited:
Chung and McCourty are good young players but it's pretty stupid to think Sanchez will be making a mistake by testing either of them with Santonio Holmes. Holmes will have a big game I think, this patriots secondary is terrible. Good potential and nice young talent is there, but that doesn't change the fact that the patriots are ranked 30th? in pass defense.

The Pats pass defense is ranked pretty poorly. But I'd be careful on judging a defense on it. There are games where they are awful, and there are games where they are winning by a lot and the other team is forced to pass the ball. In fact, if you look at the two Patriots losses, neither opponent had huge passing yardage totals. The Jets had 220 yards, while the Browns had 174, so it wasn't the main reason we lost.

If you look at the top 10 worst pass defenses in terms of yardage, you'd see 3 division leaders in the Patriots (9-2), the Chiefs (7-4) and the Falcons (9-2). You could also add Jacksonville (6-5) and Seattle (5-6) to the list as they are somehow tied for the division lead, but I think that's ridiculous ;) The Chiefs have one of the best young secondaries in football with Flowers and Berry, and if you look at highest yards per attempt, the Chiefs are down the list at 19. The Pats lead the league in passing yards given up, but rank only 9th-worst in yards per attempt, still not great, but not the worst as many would believe.

In week 1, we gave up only 130 yards to the Bengals on 19 attempts in the first half on the way to blowing them out 24-3, then in garbage time, Palmer throws 31 more times for 215 yards. The yards per attempt were similar in both halfs, but game situation forced him to throw the ball way more.

Against Pittsburgh, we held Big Ben to only 123 yards passing going into the 4th quarter down 23-3 before exploding for 264 yards in garbage time. Against San Diego, Rivers had 336 yards passing against us, 193 yards in the first 3 quarters and 143 in the final quarter down 20-3.

I'm not saying the pass defense is spectacular, but a lot of cheap yards have been thrown on at the end simply because we've had some big leads. They're not a top-10 secondary yet, but they're closer to the middle of the pack than the bottom of the list.

* Note * All calculations above done manually before my second coffee so there's probably a margin of error of +/- 10 yards, but you get the point :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back