PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

ESPN: NFL 2008 predictions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, you think the Colts will fall to fourth? Unlikely, second place is very realistic especially if Saturday is out for most of the season.

Don't kid youself Rob.The Pats like the Colts have an o-line that looks average at best without their QBs.With their QBs, they look like pro bowlers.
You think it means nothing that neither teams offense can move the ball even with starters out there in preseason?Put Manning or Brady in there and all of a sudden it's an elite offense and passing the ball well and running lanes open and pass protection is good.
Not saying the o-lineman are not good players just saying the QBs are great ones.

If this preseason showed me anything it's that both the Pats and Colts would be lucky to win up to 8 games without their QBs no matter how many good players they have out there.

lol Rob. You are so into hyping up your Pats and putting down the Colts.

Colts will win the division again as long as Manning is there.Stop buying the offseason hype.

Until I actually see that Manning can comeback and so no ill signs from his surgery, why should I not believe the hype. They potentially will have three new starters on the interior of their o-line to start the season potentially much longer with Lilja and Saturday both out and Jake Scott gone to the Titans. No one is sure if Freeney will regain all of his speed. No one knows if Harrison can hold up the season at his age. Will they find an adequet replacement for Ty Hagler while he is out (granted a much lesser concern than others). The Colts have some questions that are not being hyped at all.

I'm not saying that the Colts will fall off the face of the earth. I am just saying a 10-6 season isn't out of the question especially with the injuries and division. I haven't even really been following the Colts during the preseason.

Don't kid youself Rob.The Pats like the Colts have an o-line that looks average at best without their QBs.With their QBs, they look like pro bowlers.
You think it means nothing that neither teams offense can move the ball even with starters out there in preseason?Put Manning or Brady in there and all of a sudden it's an elite offense and passing the ball well and running lanes open and pass protection is good.
Not saying the o-lineman are not good players just saying the QBs are great ones.

If this preseason showed me anything it's that both the Pats and Colts would be lucky to win up to 8 games without their QBs no matter how many good players they have out there.

The preseason is irrelevant. I don't care what happened this preseason. I am not basing my assessment on the preseason.

I am basing my assessment because of injuries to key players, a lot of new players on the o-line if Saturday and Lilja start on IR and PUP respectively, questions on whether Freeney will be the player he was this season or will he struggle for a while, the potential schedule the Colts have because their division is brutal, and most importantly the health of their QB. I don't expect Manning to miss many games if any at all, but I also wonder if he will have trouble planting his foot and other mechanics with his knee to begin the season.

I have concerns about the Patriots, but less and their schedule at least right now looks to be far easier without another team in the division really ready to challenge for the championship. If Brady had his bursar sack removed and it looked like Koppen, Mankins, and Neal were all out at least to begin the season (even if the Pats drafted three centers) I would be far more concerned about them. The Patriots just have less issues going into the season than the Colts do this year.

im surprised that indy was only chosen twice

Until I actually see that Manning can comeback and so no ill signs from his surgery, why should I not believe the hype. They potentially will have three new starters on the interior of their o-line to start the season potentially much longer with Lilja and Saturday both out and Jake Scott gone to the Titans. No one is sure if Freeney will regain all of his speed. No one knows if Harrison can hold up the season at his age. Will they find an adequet replacement for Ty Hagler while he is out (granted a much lesser concern than others). The Colts have some questions that are not being hyped at all.

I'm not saying that the Colts will fall off the face of the earth. I am just saying a 10-6 season isn't out of the question especially with the injuries and division. I haven't even really been following the Colts during the preseason.

Thats says it all right there.;)
However I can say the same about Brady, until I see him out there week 1 then the Pats are screwed. And yes I pay attention to the Pats in preseason.

I have faith the line will be fine. Mudd is a great coach and does a great job. The offense is just something I never worry about with Manning there just like you guys should not worry much about your offense with Brady there.

Now if we have to play Sorgi I will worry;)

It isn't a head to head match up that I am talking about. Especially with Saturday out at least for the beginning of the season and questions about Manning's knee, I can see the Colts losing 2-4 more games than last year. Even if they win the head to head match up with the Jags, I don't know if it is going to be enough to win the division. The Colts have a lot of injury concerns and the season hasn't even started yet.

you know, a lot of similar things are said about the pats every yr, defense is old, so and so player left via free agency ,so and so coach is new, someone is in IR. Still they continue to win.
Yes they have starters out like saturday and jake scott gone. Same thing was about their left tackle last yr. ugoh was decent enough in the end.
They have a strong running game and as long as they have manning they should win most games. as much as freeney and sanders etc are injury prone or not fully recovered, colts are always going to be about offense and should win the division as long as he is on the field.

The preseason is irrelevant. I don't care what happened this preseason. I am not basing my assessment on the preseason.

I am basing my assessment because of injuries to key players, a lot of new players on the o-line if Saturday and Lilja start on IR and PUP respectively, questions on whether Freeney will be the player he was this season or will he struggle for a while, the potential schedule the Colts have because their division is brutal, and most importantly the health of their QB. I don't expect Manning to miss many games if any at all, but I also wonder if he will have trouble planting his foot and other mechanics with his knee to begin the season.

I have concerns about the Patriots, but less and their schedule at least right now looks to be far easier without another team in the division really ready to challenge for the championship. If Brady had his bursar sack removed and it looked like Koppen, Mankins, and Neal were all out at least to begin the season (even if the Pats drafted three centers) I would be far more concerned about them. The Patriots just have less issues going into the season than the Colts do this year.

Actually I would not sleep on the Bills or Jets.

But, the Jags and Titans just are not very balanced on offense (WR improvements hello?) and the pass rush for the Jags will still be lackluster in my opinion. Titans have the defense and the head coach to give the Colts fits but Vince Young is horrible no matter how you slice it.

I would watch out for the Texans if they can get through those first 5 games they have.

Thats says it all right there.;)
However I can say the same about Brady, until I see him out there week 1 then the Pats are screwed. And yes I pay attention to the Pats in preseason.

I have faith the line will be fine. Mudd is a great coach and does a great job. The offense is just something I never worry about with Manning there just like you guys should not worry much about your offense with Brady there.

Now if we have to play Sorgi I will worry;)

Brady hasn't missed the entire training camp and most of the preseason like Manning. Brady has what is described as a deep bone bruise that can be painful, but not something that will hamper a player on game day since a cortizone shot will stop the pain. Manning has to worry about swelling in the knee which can affect a QB's ability. There is a difference.

Re: ESPN:NFL 2008 predictions

If I remember this correctly, the espn ANALysts didn't like this pick on draft day. Said it was too early, and would have been a better pick around 17-20.

And now those same guys pick him for DROY... competency is something lacking in Bristol.

This is EXACTLY why I ignore anything reported by those fools.

you know, a lot of similar things are said about the pats every yr, defense is old, so and so player left via free agency ,so and so coach is new, someone is in IR. Still they continue to win.
Yes they have starters out like saturday and jake scott gone. Same thing was about their left tackle last yr. ugoh was decent enough in the end.
They have a strong running game and as long as they have manning they should win most games. as much as freeney and sanders etc are injury prone or not fully recovered, colts are always going to be about offense and should win the division as long as he is on the field.

They have strong running game? The had a strong running game the first half the season last year and a mediocre on the second half the season. If Addai performs this year like he did the second half of last year, the Colts' running game will be below average at best.

I don't think the Pats have ever had an injury problem like the Colts have right now except for maybe 2005. And the Pats were 10-6 that year. So it is in-line with my prediction for them.

Rob you are making me laugh.I also see your posts on PFT as well when it's something Colts related.;)

Manning will be fine this year, I firmly believe this. As will Brady. I am not sure either will run for many TDs;) but I do think both will play at a very high level.

And what makes them so good is how smart they are as well.

It's strange as a Colts fan I have such a high appreciation for Brady but I like watching great QBs. And Brady and Manning are just incredible.

If ESPN had any clue as to how to assemble data into a readable/scanable format, I would have spent more than 2 minutes reading ...

They have strong running game? The had a strong running game the first half the season last year and a mediocre on the second half the season. If Addai performs this year like he did the second half of last year, the Colts' running game will be below average at best.

I think you will see a much improved running game with Rhodes back and Hart in the mix.
Behind Addai last year we had little depth. KK just stinks IMO (please cut him finally) despite the fact he can run well at times. He cannot catch or block. But, Manning won the games when we had no pass rush at times and a lackluster running game.He tried to do the same against SD in the playoffs though and we fell short.

I am not a big fan of having just one workhorse back on the team like we did in the Edge days. And I admit Edge was special as hell. The combo of Addai and Rhodes helped us win the SB though.
We also have better depth at pass rush this year. Freeney looks fine to me so far from what I have seen, we drafted a speedy pass rusher Howard to help out him and Mathis. And we are going to use Brock in the rotation to help out Freeney early on.

To be honest, I just want to be in the playoffs regardless of record with a healthy team and a little momentum.
Harrison is also back and has not missed a day of practice or camp and people still use him as question mark.But, with Wayne, Gonzalez and Clark we have plenty of weapons on offense.

The only questions I think we have that are legit are the o-line but Mudd will figure something out.I can understand why many think we have too many concerns and will have to see it to believe it, but I am just not worried.I think we will be in the playoffs.

Last edited:
Hate to break up all this colt love, but if I were you Saturday would be the guy I would worry about, he is a great player... ;)

Hate to break up all this colt love, but if I were you Saturday would be the guy I would worry about, he is a great player... ;)

I hate to lose someone based on a lousy preseason game.:( But, I also wonder what will happen to the man next season as a FA.

Word is he might play through pain and stick it out for most of the year if he decides thats the option he wants.Unlike Merriman though Saturday is getting older and he might want to do that.Who knows.We should know by the end of the week what will be the course of action whether it's long term or short term etc.

I hate to lose someone based on a lousy preseason game.:( But, I also wonder what will happen to the man next season as a FA.

Word is he might play through pain and stick it out for most of the year if he decides thats the option he wants.Unlike Merriman though Saturday is getting older and he might want to do that.Who knows.We should know by the end of the week what will be the course of action whether it's long term or short term etc.

If he's playing for his next contract, chances are he takes it cautiously and makes sure he gets another contract. He would look good in red, silver and blue.

If he's playing for his next contract, chances are he takes it cautiously and makes sure he gets another contract. He would look good in red, silver and blue.

Who is going to overpay for an aging center coming off an injury?(assuming he is hurt that badly) I am sure someone will.Jets come to mind.I doubt the Colts keep him even though they claim drafting 3 centers had nothing to do with Saturday.:rolleyes:Suuuure.

I would hope he retires like Glenn did.Saturday without Manning just does not work in my mind.

Jeff has options here which is why this won't be resolved for a few days or so. In the meantime our center is Steve Justice I am guessing.

Last edited:
Rob you are making me laugh.I also see your posts on PFT as well when it's something Colts related.;)

Manning will be fine this year, I firmly believe this. As will Brady. I am not sure either will run for many TDs;) but I do think both will play at a very high level.

And what makes them so good is how smart they are as well.

It's strange as a Colts fan I have such a high appreciation for Brady but I like watching great QBs. And Brady and Manning are just incredible.

Why do you firmly believe that Manning will be fine this year? Because Dungy and Polian said so? He could be, but as I said on PFT I don't trust what they say when it comes to injuries.

Funny, I am usually pretty fair and balanced when it is Colts related on PFT. Funny, you aren't when it is related to the Patriots if you are who I think you are since you obviously post under a different name and only one poster over there constantly references what I post over here.

I think Manning is one of the best all times, but with his injuries and the fact that his interior of his line is a question mark I have questions about his performance this year. I would have the same questions about Brady in the same situation.

Good to meet you folks. This is my first post here as you can see. I have to say that this is much different from my usual home, PatriotsPlanet.

What really pisses me off about this article, is that if you actually do the math, 5 Espn analysts voted for the Cowboys, true. Another 5 Espn analysts also voted for the Chargers. Why does the headline read: "Cowboys expected to win Super Bowl" or some other garbage like that? Are they clearly voted to win when another team had just as many votes?

Why do you firmly believe that Manning will be fine this year? Because Dungy and Polian said so? He could be, but as I said on PFT I don't trust what they say when it comes to injuries.

Funny, I am usually pretty fair and balanced when it is Colts related on PFT. Funny, you aren't when it is related to the Patriots if you are who I think you are since you obviously post under a different name and only one poster over there constantly references what I post over here.

I think Manning is one of the best all times, but with his injuries and the fact that his interior of his line is a question mark I have questions about his performance this year. I would have the same questions about Brady in the same situation.

I just have a gut feeling about Manning and have since he had this done. There is nobody I trust more than Manning. And if he is somehow not his usual self we will suffer no doubt about that. And I know you don't have to believe a thing Dungy says but he is easy to read, he has looked pretty happy the last few days talking about Manning at practice.
I don't post on PFT actually. I just read the comments when it has to do with the Colts. And I am almost always fair and balanced when it comes to the Pats as well.

Actually I am looking forward to seeing some new guys in the interior of the line. Our line keeps getting younger but that does not bother me. And this preseason I was watching Jake Scott get pushed around protecting Vince Young. I laughed because he looks a lot better when he lined up in front of Peyton.

Call me a homer but we all are. I have faith just like you guys do in your team.

And like I said I think Manning will play at a high level as always. We will see who is right in a few months.

Will be an exciting season. If I am wrong then I am wrong.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back